Buggy XBMC
Greetings,

I am a new user for XBMC and so far it is working fine except for some small problems. I have always had trouble using media players and have tried Amarok, Rhythmbox, and several others. Only VLC, NCMPC and XBMC have worked. I have 60 gigs of music--all in different formats including WAV, Flac, AIFF, MP3, Ogg Vorbis, etc..

I like XBMC because the interface is attractive. However, it does not run smoothly--the program flickers. It will not allow me to look at other screens unless I minimize it first. Sometimes the visual interface staggers or slows down, but the music speed does not. This is strange because I run also run XBMC on a lower powered laptop--and it runs fine there.

So when I run XBMC on a higher powered desktop, there are problems. Any ideas to make it run smoother without it flickering like a disco light?

Please advise,

I. Khider
Worst bug report ever! What system are you using, which version of xbmc? What hardware? What flickers? etc etc!
Hello and thanks for posting,

I am running Ubuntu Hardy Heron on my computer. The XBMC is the latest version available--however, there is no 'about' tab available to verify that. I made the assumption it is the latest as the locale I picked it from--XBMC siet said so.

I have to gigs of ram and a 2.6Ghz single core processor. (My laptop is 1.8 with a gig or ram and it works fine).

Oh yeah, I just tried the DVD feature it bits of the screen turn black like rapidly spreading cancer cells. Odd--but every other finction on my computer is fine.

-I-
Please look at my signature to understand what is needed for a proper report. We can't help if you don't provide logs or complete details about your setup.

Please provide a debug log.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Please read => http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=34655

The problem is probably your graphics hardware or graphics driver.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
$20US says desktop effects are on Wink
Many thanks Al,

Once I disabled the desktop effects, XBMC worked perfectly--in fact better than my laptop. Nimble and smooth.

I would have filled out a bug report, but it seemed so complicated. Why do desktop effects and XBMC clash?

Does XBMC have volume control? VLC does. But VLC does not have the pretty interface.

-I-
I. Khider Wrote:Does XBMC have volume control? VLC does. But VLC does not have the pretty interface.

-I-

Yes xbmc has volume control.
I. Khider Wrote:Many thanks Al,

Once I disabled the desktop effects, XBMC worked perfectly--in fact better than my laptop. Nimble and smooth.

I would have filled out a bug report, but it seemed so complicated. Why do desktop effects and XBMC clash?

Does XBMC have volume control? VLC does. But VLC does not have the pretty interface.

-I-
It's Compiz-fusion's fault that you can't use XBMC in fullscreen and Desktop effects on. This is supposed to be solved with DRI2, if my memory serves me right, though that would take a while, since DRI2 was rejected for the 2.6.27-kernel.
Hello Covert,

Where is volume control?

Thanks Halligalli, too bad there are conflicts between programs so that I cannot have both cool desktop effects and XBMC, I am impressed with the program--I mean Rhythmbox, Amarok...none of that stuff was working.

-I-

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Buggy XBMC0