Login to underlying os
Ok I'm not a complete noob at this but I am stuck here. I'm trying to get to the underlying os to make some configuration changes and I simply can't figure out how to get out of xbmc and into that. Anybody willing to reveal the trick? And yes I already searched the forums.
You have two choices:
1: use SSH to login remotely to terminal
2a: ctrl+alt+fx (x is a number between 1 - 6)
2b: ctrl+alt+f7 will return you to XBMC
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Anyone have the root password?

user:xbmc pass:xbmc get's into a user account but no root password
timgray Wrote:Anyone have the root password?

user:xbmc pass:xbmc get's into a user account but no root password

"sudo" is free to use
olympia Wrote:"sudo" is free to use

True but I like to change my root passwords so that someone cant root the box and use it as their personal zombie.

no it's not directly on the net, but you cant be too careful.
The root account in ubuntu is disabled by default
Smile 
timgray Wrote:True but I like to change my root passwords so that someone cant root the box and use it as their personal zombie.

no it's not directly on the net, but you cant be too careful.

U can do 'sudo passwd root' and then change the root passwd to whatever u want. Worked for me. I saw another thread that said the root pass was blank but I couldn't get that to work for me.
I am still having trouble to login. I did use the keys CTRL+ALT+F1 (but also the other 5). This gets me to a login screen, but whatever I type the password is incorrect. I tried xbmc/xbmc and the passwords I had typed during install. During the install Linux?/XBMC? asks me to type a new password with user xbmc. The first install I typed my own, the second install I typed xbmc. But none of the passes work.

What am I doing wrong? Is it the password I chose during install (should I leave it blank maybe?), or am I doing something wrong during the login?

Via SSH all my login attempts fail too.

Hope someone can help me, cause I really would love the latest mediastream. Plus XBMC Live needs plenty of tweaking on my setup.
I'm getting exactly the same error with a brand new Live 9.04.1 CD.
It boots into TTY1 and xbmc/xbmc user passwd combination does not work.

Any idea?
- I'm simply confused because I saw no report regarding this in the board in the last days, and 9.04.1 is already some days old. :confused2:
I don't believe xmbc is a password that is assigned automatically anymore. It'll be whatever password that is assigned during the install. The account name should be the same though, xbmc.
[post deleted]
hmm lol I'm stuck here too, 5 months later Big Grin
You should always be able to boot into single user mode and bypass the password altogether.

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux...ingle.html

It's done using grub and adding "single" to the end of the append line for the kernel.

From there you can run passwd and set your own passwords for root, and you can su to xbmc and run passwd again and set the password for xbmc as well.
thanks a bunch... but it's a foreign language for me! Big Grin

I have learnt spending hours how to get in the console, spent many other hours to figure out why xbmc on a stick did not retain settings... installed xbmc to hdd, now more problems... why on earth did they have to change user account name and password?

At every attempt I become more and more aware of why user friendly OSes have been the pulling trend.

Long story short, thanks Maxim, would it be difficult to explain with a more expert-to-noob approach? Or if a password already exists which is it? Or better still, do you have msn? Big Grin

- grumpy
Quote:thanks a bunch... but it's a foreign language for me!

I have learnt spending hours how to get in the console, spent many other hours to figure out why xbmc on a stick did not retain settings... installed xbmc to hdd, now more problems... why on earth did they have to change user account name and password?

At every attempt I become more and more aware of why user friendly OSes have been the pulling trend.

Long story short, thanks Maxim, would it be difficult to explain with a more expert-to-noob approach? Or if a password already exists which is it? Or better still, do you have msn?

- grumpy

But install a full ubuntu desktop and then add xbmc to it See wiki on how to do this. That will give the user friendly os you are on about and if you did that from the beginning you would have saved you a lot of problem.

BTW, it is true for most OS that you need to know the password.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Login to underlying os1