Help would be appreciated - Live and a blank HD
Is it possible to install xbmx live onto a blank hd along with a library of movies and run the program and movies through the tv and independent of a server or PC? or do I need some sort of operating system on the hd?
You certainly can install Live B2 to your blank or full hard drive for that matter it will overwrite what is on it currently, i just did one that had a test hardy install on it and it worked fine.

As for putting movies on the disk I am not sure but I would like the answer as well. I guess ftp is an option I would not opt this way, I think I would setup a 2nd drive or an ext. usb drive as an option.

Dave
rodercot Wrote:As for putting movies on the disk I am not sure but I would like the answer as well.
what about sftp/scp? Either installed on the hard disk, run form the CD or from the USB flash drive, once you have a valid IP sshd is there to help.
l.capriotti Wrote:what about sftp/scp? Either installed on the hard disk, run form the CD or from the USB flash drive, once you have a valid IP sshd is there to help.

Luigi,

What is the directory structure set up as when formatting an HD with the live Cd. Does it create a home directory on the disk, swap, etc...

rgds,

Dave
Can the program run on its on with no operating system on the HD? I am talking about a blank HD that is not connected to a pc. A standalone that is connected to the tv and a power source (no ftp) and has the media library stored on the HD (it'd have to be a 2 TB HD). Essentially creating an ipod for movies.

Would you need a graphics card or software connected to the HD? Has anyone used a firewire-->HDMI setup? http://library.creativecow.net/articles/...design.php
if you have a network share on that hdd, you can stream files from it, yes.
you can run the program from the cd, but everytime you reboot, all changes would be lost, therefore, installing to a usb stick would be recommended.

you still need a computer of course to run the program (xbmc), so only a standalone won't do you much good i believe as it doesn't use the same kind of hardware.
rodercot Wrote:What is the directory structure set up as when formatting an HD with the live Cd. Does it create a home directory on the disk, swap, etc...
three partitions are created: one is the boot partition (FAT32) containing all the files that are on the CD, the second is the swap partition, the third is an ext3 partition mounted as /home that contains xbmc home directory and all files underneath
slacker666 Wrote:if you have a network share on that hdd, you can stream files from it, yes.
you can run the program from the cd, but everytime you reboot, all changes would be lost, therefore, installing to a usb stick would be recommended.

you still need a computer of course to run the program (xbmc), so only a standalone won't do you much good i believe as it doesn't use the same kind of hardware.

i want to get away frmo streaming and the neworking and create a unit that is reliant on itself for storage and operation. If I wanted to put new movies on it, I then plug it into my pc and dump them on. Is this possible?
Would also like to have live install on a HD with networking and local media storage.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help would be appreciated - Live and a blank HD0