Newbie needs help - XBMC on OS X 10.5.5/iTunes 8
As a non-techie I'm really struggling with XBMC on my Apple TV and accessing anything except for the Weather. XBMC and Boxee installed fine on the ATV and I can play around with the interface and skins, but can't understand how to connect to my media on my networked Macs and a NAS box.

I'm connecting wirelessly from my ATV to my Apple Extreme Base Station (which is in 'bridge mode' connected to my wired 10/100 network modem/router). I did once manage to see my NAS box in the 'Filemanager' of XBMC but seem to have 'lost' it again.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what's possible, but shouldn't I be able to stream my iTunes 8 files from my networked iMac, and Xvid and H264 movies from the same machine?

I am finding it very difficult to work out how to do this. I tried the section of the wiki that dealt with Windows File Sharing on OS X, which told me that it was the best method. However the info does not seem to relate to Leopard, and begins with 'Once you have configured your Network Port settings to communicate with XBMC' but I can't find any info on how to 'configure my Network Port settings'.

Is there any source that presents the basic streaming info for iTunes 8/OS X 10.5.5 in 'baby steps' for total beginners to this black art?

Thanks.
If your iTunes library consists of music purchased from iTunes (encrypted), then you won't be able to share it with XBMC. If not then share the folder that contains the actual music files (e.g. ~/Music/iTunes):

1. Go to System Preferences -> Sharing
  2. Make sure 'File Sharing' is ticked.
  3. Add the folders you wish to share to the 'Shared Folders' list.
  4. Click on 'Options' and ensure that 'Share files and folders using SMB' is also ticked.
  5. Now start up XBMC, Add Source -> Add Network Location.
  6. Leave protocol as is (it should be 'Windows Network (SMB)')
  7. Click browse and locate the folders you just shared (you might need to enter a username / password if you set one).
  8. After you're done, click 'OK' and you should see your new share.

This way you can share any folder on your network using SMB. If you have devices that support other protocols (like UPnP, Daap etc), then all you've to do is to change the protocol option above.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Please read and follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, please make sure you read this first.

Thanks d4rk.

That was really useful info.

At first I had some problems, until I discovered that I had to double click the 'File Sharing' line for the 'Shared Folders' box to appear. After that with a little trial and error I got all my media folders visible on the XBMC/ATV combo. I was even surprised to find that it picked up folders on my external Firewire drive too.

Much appreciated!
Any suggestion when you do all these steps and when you choose "Add Network Connection" ERROR 2 appears? I haven't find the answer for this on the forums or Google...:confused2:

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Newbie needs help - XBMC on OS X 10.5.5/iTunes 80