Workaround for multimonitor resolution problem
Hi,

First of all, big thanks to all the xbmc developers, skinners, testers and all the other hardworking people who makes xbmc the most incredible mediacenter software available!

I'm running xbmc on my Windows Vista 64bit desktop machine and I'm using an xbox 360 wireless controller (along with Joystick2Mouse) to navigate xbmc. I like to sit in my couch and be able to control everything, I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Because of the way xbmc handles multiple monitors in its current state having to output xbmc on a secondary screen is troublesome, especially if your running another resolution on your secondary screen (I got 1680*1050 on my pc monitor and 1920*1080 on my tv). I found a workaround to this problem involving automated primary/secondary swapping and then launching xbmc, when xbmc is shut down it automatically changes the display back again.

This batch script uses Display Changer by Stefan Tucker. Please visit his website if you have any additional questions regarding display changer. Big thanks go out to Stefan for creating a very useful tool.

DISCLAIMER:
This has only been tested on Windows Vista Business 64bit with a two monitor setup. Do not use the /force switch when using Display Changer, it could damage your graphics card and/or monitor.

Installation instructions:
1. Download and unpack
2. Run dccmd or dc64cmd with the -listmonitors switch to find out the name of your displays (it's likely you can use the standard configuration)
2. Open activateXBMC.cmd in notepad or similar and change the variables so they fit your system
3. Make sure the xbmc.lnk file is pointing to xbmc.exe (C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\XBMC.exe standard on english vista 64bit) on your system and that the -fs and -p switches written after the filepath.

Usage instructions:
1. Run the activateXBMC.cmd batch script
2. When you exit xbmc the script will change the monitor setup to the original settings

If you would like to be able to start xbmc from the couch you can create a shortcut to the batch-file and configure a shortcut key, then you should be able to activate this shortcut key using your remote (depending on how your remote works).

Download from 2shared
I tried this, and it didn't work for me. I'm running windows xp 32-bit. When i hit the launch command, all it does it enable my tv display.. and then xbmc still launches in my pc monitor (as primary), and when i close xbmc nothing happens. My tv remains enabled as well.
strange, did you configure the script with -listmonitors?
Well I ran -listmonitors just to double check that DISPLAY1 was my pc and DISPLAY2 was my TV. Which it was, so i didn't edit that part of the script. What do you recommmend I change?

Quote:dccmd.exe -listmonitors
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Device: \\.\DISPLAY1
Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
(1920 x 1200 x 32 bpp) 60Hz, attached, primary (0,0)

Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Device: \\.\DISPLAY2
Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
(1920 x 1080 x 32 bpp) 60Hz
well if you already swapped
set _dcVersion=dc64cmd
for
set _dcVersion=dccmd

i don't think i can help

also if you havn't already, try running the script when you have both your tv and pc monitor running and enabled (pc=prim, tv= sec)
Yah I've already done that. Well thanks anyways for posting it, I guess I'll just have to find a different solution. I dunno if it's just me, or maybe it just doesn't work with windows 32-bit.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Workaround for multimonitor resolution problem0