How can I make a liveusb from Windows?
gyrene2083 Wrote:Well I got a little farther. I was able to install, but I had to change the computer I did the installation on. My laptop has a Radeonx1200 card in it, and the computer that I was able to do the install from has a nvidia9400 card in it.

My question though is when I boot up via the thumb drive, it comes up as if I am still booting off the live cd. Is there another step to configure it to just boot up without that?

On the main "XBMC Live - Help and Support" page there is a stickied topic:

Sticky: AutoBoot settings for XBMC Live USB?

In it, you'll find the following post:
Quote:To autoboot on the USB version, open syslinux.cfg from the USB Stick and move
Code:
Code:
default x
to the top of the file and choose x as the number you want to boot (1 is nvidia)
uncomment (remove the #) from timeout (It must be after default tag IIRC)
Choose a timeout in seconds, ie 1.

Here is my syslinux.cfg as an example. (Autoboot nvidia)
Pumpkin Nut,

Thanks I appreciate the insight. As I am new to Linux, as is a lot of others, I think the problem lies in how to ask the questions, or know what your looking for. It's not exactly look into your config.sys, and change this in your autoexec.bat. lol.

Thanks though. I think once I can get mine up and running I'm going to write something up for n00bs like me.
Advice on Hardware
PC-LUXA2 CPU-AMD Phenom II X6 1100T RAM-12GB Video Card-AMD Radeon HD 6800
OS-Win7 32bit - Kodi - 14.0 Helix SKIN - Aeon MQ 5 Keyboard - DiNovo Mini

-Semper Fi
gyrene2083
Hi,

I can't get the USB drive to boot. I only se a blining cursor.. I have tried what pumkinut suggested and acctually used an exact copy of the file at pastebin. But it still doesn't boot. I have tried on two different computers with the same result.

You have any other idea how to solve it?

btw, I used flashboot to make the USB drive.
Just so you know, the first time you booted the usb drive you should have received the loading screen and THEN the blinking cursor. But then the second time you boot from it you should see the blinking cursor right away. This is because it is a trial version of flashboot.

Sorry that didn't help, but I just wanted to make sure you knew when you were testing around...

btw, I still have the same problem.
The first PC I tried to do this on was my laptop. My laptop is a toshiba satellite running Vista, and has a Radeon x1200. I tried everyway to Sunday to get it to work and nothing. So, what I did was just format the USB to Fat32, and then took the LIVECD to the HTPC which has the NVIDIA card, and loaded XBMCLive on since I had been at the dag gone thing for hours, I made some coffee came back, this is of course after going through the menu of LiveCD, came back and it was done. I then took the CD out changed my bios, and viola it worked.

The thing I wasn't aware of was that the usb menu is exactly like the cd so I thought it hadn't worked until I noticed that I had the cd on the Desk. (I said I was at it for a long time ok, kind of like when you are looking for your glasses and they are on your face) I was able to change the file thanks to pumpkinut pointing it out. Now I am trying to get my wifi usb card to work with it. I know it works out the box, but I don't know how to do it in the terminal screen.
Advice on Hardware

-Semper Fi
gyrene2083
miketowninc Wrote:Just so you know, the first time you booted the usb drive you should have received the loading screen and THEN the blinking cursor. But then the second time you boot from it you should see the blinking cursor right away. This is because it is a trial version of flashboot.

Sorry that didn't help, but I just wanted to make sure you knew when you were testing around...

btw, I still have the same problem.

I never got any loading screen. And I do have the full version of the program.. So, what is wrong? I have Nvidia cards on both my computers.
Luffar, take a look at this and see if this helps you.Pendrive
Actually if you have ubuntu installed on your box already try this one. hardy install
Advice on Hardware

-Semper Fi
gyrene2083
What's wrong with the procedure described in my old post here?
Although it was meant for an earlier version of XBMC Live it's working also for more recent releases, provided that in step 5 you extract all .img files.
Ya thats perfect!!

I must have missed it! thanks!
l.capriotti Wrote:What's wrong with the procedure described in my old post here?
Although it was meant for an earlier version of XBMC Live it's working also for more recent releases, provided that in step 5 you extract all .img files.

That proceduer killed my flash drive Sad
Probably shity quality... I'll replace it and try again.
Thanks
I have the solution for the "_" Problem on USB!

Just create your boot disk with unetboot and boot.

At the bootloader press tab and change the cd option with "usb"
and it work!
therealwakka Wrote:I have the solution for the "_" Problem on USB!

Just create your boot disk with unetboot and boot.

At the bootloader press tab and change the cd option with "usb"
and it work!

OH MAN! I wish I new that before!
thin client, is it possible to boot Xbmc on a thin client using Usb?
l.capriotti,

I suggest making the following change to syslinux.cfg when installing XBMC to a USB flash drive:

change "root=/dev/sda1" to "root=UUID=x", where x is your USB flash drive's UUID. Using root=/dev/sda1 to boot XBMC off a USB flash drive will only work when there are no other SCSI or SATA drives attached, since the USB flash drive will no longer be assigned /dev/sda1. Using root=UUID=x will allow XBMC to boot off the USB flash drive no matter how many drives you have plugged in. This can save you a headache if you should plug in another drive in the future.
I have already planned to introduce that feature in the next round, tks for pointing it out, though.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How can I make a liveusb from Windows?1