Crashing on Pause (Pulseaudio?)
Hi Everybody,

I have battled through the same-old questions as everybody else has. I am hoping this has been covered before, but I missed it in my search.

When viewing an stardard def xvid video, if i touch the keyboard at all, the playback freezes, the audio stutters. The system is not frozen up, but i have to reboot to end the audio stuttering.

I have tried to restart dbus, alsa utils, pulseaudio. I have not found the correct thing to restart to get the noise go away without a reboot.

Here are the basics:

2.6.24-21-generic
(II) NVIDIA GLX Module 173.14.12 Thu Jul 17 18:36:35 PDT 2008
XBMC, Platform: GNU/Linux. Built on Oct 6 2008 (SVN:15810)
Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHz
Chaintech AV710
Hauppauge NOVA-T

and the pastebin of the debuggin output:
http://pastebin.ca/1240388

Finally, I have followed the guide here: hxxp://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=776739 to fix pulseaudio related issues.

for my audio device, I have used "pulse" instead of default. It seems to work, except for the crashing thing .

thanks,
pro
I can confirm this problem, too, but the problem appears to occur when any method is used to pause the playback --web interface included.

The problem has occurred since I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.10 "Intrepid" yesterday.
Woah. Enabling Desktop Effects (full, haven't tried anything else yet) fixed it for me.

Weird.

Maybe it's an nvidia driver thing? Something to do with GLX?
I'll have to give that a try. I'm also going to test it out vrs Xmbc live.. see how it works. maybe it's time for clean load. it's unusable at the point.

FoolsRun Wrote:Woah. Enabling Desktop Effects (full, haven't tried anything else yet) fixed it for me.

Weird.

Maybe it's an nvidia driver thing? Something to do with GLX?
FoolsRun Wrote:I can confirm this problem, too, but the problem appears to occur when any method is used to pause the playback --web interface included.

The problem has occurred since I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.10 "Intrepid" yesterday.

If it's pause and wait and play that causes the hang then I got rid of that when I whiped my homedir (might have been some bad settings). Or it got fixed in SVN, not sure but its working for me now.

P.S NEVER update ubuntu, reinstall it. You can really get weird errors that are extraordinarily hard to track down and fix.

Cheers,
Tobias
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
This problem has returned for me in the update that hit the repos today. I haven't found a combination of settings yet which fixes it --even whiped out my ~/.xbmc directory to no avail.
FoolsRun Wrote:This problem has returned for me in the update that hit the repos today. I haven't found a combination of settings yet which fixes it --even whiped out my ~/.xbmc directory to no avail.

Correction: killing pulseaudio (sudo killall pulseaudio) fixes it.
Topfs2 Wrote:P.S NEVER update ubuntu, reinstall it. You can really get weird errors that are extraordinarily hard to track down and fix.
I have an ubuntu box updated since dapper. Ubuntu's update process isn't flawless, but if you're linux literate, you can always make it work. Obviously upgraded machines would complicate tech support, though.

I suggest we change the default XBMC startup script to kill pulseaudio before starting XBMC and start it back up when done.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Crashing on Pause (Pulseaudio?)0