XviD 1.x.x bug; Loads of early/late/skipped frames
i have a 960x528 xvid with ac3 sound that plays well in xbmp. when i play the same in xbmc, at high vbr passages i get picture skip. over 5-10 minutes of playtime i might have 5000 late/skipped frames according to the stats.

is this a fixable problem, or just a result of xbmc being more complex than xbmc and the xbox being fairly slow?

picture skip is not caused by cache starvation, i've checked that.
would certainly help if we knew which builddate the xbmc you are using has...

:hmm:
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

i just experienced the same thing while trying to watch a video with a 704x384 resolution and ac3 sound. i just downloaded the latest cvs (6/4/04) and compiled and tested and it still has the same problem. could it be that xbmc is using ffmpeg to decode the movie? is there any way i can make it use the xvid final codec instead? or have i just reached the limits of the xbox's power? thanks for any help!
below are instructions on how to enable the xvid 1.0 decoder in cvs (prior to june 3rd). if you use a build made after the 2nd or 3rd june, it's already enabled by default, then u can try and reverse the changes (just do the guide backwards) and ff's divxdecoder will be used instead.

Quote:edit the /mplayer/codecs.conf file with a text editor (ex. notepad) like this;

change:
Quote:videocodec ffodivx
info "ffmpeg mpeg-4"
status working
fourcc divx,divx
fourcc div1,div1 divx
fourcc mp4s,mp4s; iso mpeg-4 video v1
fourcc m4s2,m4s2
fourcc xvid,xvid,xvid,xvix
fourcc dx50,dx50,blz0 dx50
fourcc mp4v,mp4v
format 0x4
fourcc ump4
fourcc 3iv2,3iv2 ; 3ivx delta 4
format 0x10000004 ; mpeg 4 es
driver ffmpeg
dll mpeg4;opendivx
out yv12,i420,iyuv
to
Quote:
videocodec ffodivx
info "ffmpeg mpeg-4"
status working
fourcc divx,divx
fourcc div1,div1 divx
fourcc mp4s,mp4s; iso mpeg-4 video v1
fourcc m4s2,m4s2
fourcc dx50,dx50,blz0 dx50
fourcc mp4v,mp4v
format 0x4
fourcc ump4
fourcc 3iv2,3iv2 ; 3ivx delta 4
format 0x10000004 ; mpeg 4 es
driver ffmpeg
dll mpeg4;opendivx
out yv12,i420,iyuv

and then change:
Quote:videocodec xvid
info "xvid (mpeg-4)"
status working
fourcc divx,divx
fourcc xvid,xvid,xvid
format 0x4
driver xvid
out yv12
out i420
out yuy2
out uyvy
out yvyu
out bgr32,bgr24,bgr16,bgr15
dll "libxvidcore.a"
to:
Quote:
videocodec xvid
info "xvid (mpeg-4)"
status working
fourcc xvid,xvid,xvid,xvix
fourcc divx,divx
format 0x4
driver xvid
out yv12
out i420
out yuy2
out uyvy
out yvyu
out bgr32,bgr24,bgr16,bgr15
dll "libxvidcore.a"
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

just tried changing it to use ffmpeg instead of xvid and sure enough the problem is solved! thanks for the suggestion! i have heard, though, that the ffmpeg codec does not produce as nice a picture as the xvid codec, but oh well.
i am using 2004-06-03 build, and was using xvid codec for xvids. i changed it back to letting ffmpeg handle xvid per your instructions and just as the other poster here, it works much better. it's still having a few "late/early" frames, but it doesn't drop them like xvid codec does.

thanks a lot for the help!
i'm finding that the xvid decoder is really stuttery even with lower resolution videos. one of the devs should probably change the codecs.conf in cvs back to ffodivx for xvid playback, it's definitely a lot smoother.
yeah i have a lot of problems too with xvid 1.0 codec, please enable ffmpeg again
on the other hand there are files encoded with xvid 1.0 which ffmpeg doesn't decode properly. neither decoder works perfectly for all files at the moment. as was posted above, anyone can easily change this themselves by editing this line in mplayer/codecs.conf:

videocodec ffodivx
info "ffmpeg mpeg-4"
status working
fourcc divx,divx
fourcc div1,div1 divx
fourcc mp4s,mp4s ; iso mpeg-4 video v1
fourcc m4s2,m4s2
; fourcc xvid,xvid,xvid,xvix

^ this is the current default (use xvid 1.0 instead of ffmpeg for all xvids).
if you remove the ; from this line, ffmpeg will be used instead.
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
Sad 
xad/xantal has suggested that the root cause of this issue might be that xbmc don't support xvid v1.0's "packet bitsstream"(?),
so a solution might be for a coder to either disable/prevent xvid videos from using this in xbmc(?), or implement that into xbmc(?) Huh
the xvid decoder looks better than ffmeg(when its not dropping frames), epseciallly on anime, a lot less artifacts, but its definetly way to buggy to use right now. its dropping a lot of frames on most of my videos especially older xvid encodes. a few newer encodes played without a noticable hitch, but not many. i switched back to using ffmeg to decode.

but it will be sweet when the devs iron out the bugs with the xvid decoder.
@devs, ps! note that xvid v1.0.1 with bug-fixes has been announced over at www.xvid.org, might not solve this but maybe integrate?
elupus already tested this afaik :bomb:

hi,
i'm using a build from 04-06-2004 which i compiled myself. one movie which i encoded myself (ogm container, xvid codec, 640x480, ogg audio, running from the hdd) which used to play fine just won't play smoothly anymore Sad
it chugs at certain parts, and chug is saying it nicely. it goes at 0.81fps!!!
i then tried it with xbmp (same xbox) and it played fine... perfectly smooth.
i can upload a sample if someone tells me where and max size.
thanks
morien
i just noticed (and fixed) the exact same problem just 2 minutes ago. it lt has to do wth a change in what codec is used. xbmc started using xvid instead of ffmpeg to decode certain types of videos. you can change it back to using ffmpeg by reversing the instructions in this thread.

http://www.xboxmediaplayer.de/cgi-bin....hl=xvid

try reverting the codec.conf file back to the one used before june 2/3. check out the 4th post down on the page by pike

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XviD 1.x.x bug; Loads of early/late/skipped frames0