XviD 1.x.x bug; Loads of early/late/skipped frames
ah, thankyou very much i will give it a shot.
thanks for everyone's help.  reverting back to ffmpeg solved my skipping problems with certain scenes.  hopefully the xvid problems get sorted out, since if it looks better i would naturally like to use it in the future ^^.
this may or may not be related, but i recently started experiencing the framedrops and jumpy audio in a lot of my videos. what confuses me is that i did not update xbmc. this is the same build ive been using since april (04-06-2004 build i believe) and i had no problems until just the other day. anyone know what gives?
xvid 1.0.2 announced and released (it's a bug-fix release, but not sure if it fixes the issue that discussion thread is open for?)
Quote:from: [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email]
to: [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email]
cc: [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email]
subject: [xvid-announce] [announce] xvid 1.0.2 available
date: 8/30/2004 12:18:21 am

hello!

this is xvid 1.0.2 bugfix release.

this release fixes very minor bugs. it is source and binary compatible
with the previous version.

changes since 1.0.1:

* xvidcore
- fixed non compliant bvop decoding (was using rounding=0 instead
of rounding=1)
- added better mv bound clipping for broken streams.
- better behavior with content claiming not containing bvops but
eventually having bvops.
- force fincr and fbase to be < 16bit.
- fixed thread safety problem in c language idct implementation.

* vfw frontend
- memory leak

* debian dir
- added again to release files as it seems debian will not
include xvidcore in its pool.

the files are available in the download section of xvid.org:
http://www.xvid.org/downloads.html

-- the "xvid team"
http://www.xvid.org

xvid-announce mailing list
[email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email]
http://list.xvid.org/mailman/listinfo/xvid-announce
maybe it's now time to again to take another look at this issue when using the native/real xvid instead of ffmpeg to decode xvid encoded video. summery; get better quality with the xvid codec but a bug causes early/late/skipped frames when it's used. i can only suggest that official or unofficial xbmc-dev(s) take a look at this, then maybe work together with mplayer-devs and xvid devs to solve it once and for all?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
if you want i post a download link for test it in xbox!!
i compile last xvid with mplayer but i think that it occurs too... but i don't make many test!
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
i've been using your mplayer.dll's ezar2003 so please post a link if your going to include this new version and i'll test some xvids i've got that exhibit this problem.
first off, i'd like to thank all of the developers who have worked and continue to work on this project. they have provided us all with an amazing tool.

now for the slam...

i have come to rely on xbmc so much that i have become spoiled. i haven't tried the changes yet; but i can attest to the fact that there are certain videos i have been unable to view without stutter since at least 1.0. ultimately, my feeling is that the xbox only provides limited resources. the devs have to work within those resources. i'm more than happy to help test any code--but if it's too much for the box to handle, you have to let it go. something's not working. frames are dropped. sound stutters...

i'm trying to brag about your accomplishments (and my genius for recognizing those accomplishments) and then the thing starts skipping all over the place in front of company. now we're all embarassed.

i have made the recommended changes and will test tomorrow...

i hope i didn't sound too harsh. i really do appreciate all the hard work that's gone into this marvelous application--i'm just a little drunk. :nuts:
the new xvid decoder works much better now but i still get some dropped frames. some vids are still pretty bad in places, but it is an improvement.

winston, ffmpeg should handle pretty much any mpeg4 file fine (unless it's hi-def), or a high quality wmv file, i've got hundreds of files that play no problem, if you've got a specific problem with some ordinary files it's likely to be be fixable, just post in the support forum with some specifics and someone will look into it. most of the time it's actually user error or a damaged file (header or container problem for example), the xbox (and mplayer) is more than capable of playing back the vast majority of vids without problem.

edit: in fact i've just checked, i've got over 2200 video files on my server all of which play fine. this is a mix of divx/xvid/wmv/ogm/mkv.
quote from doom9.org:

quote:
------------------------------------------------------------- xvid-1.1.0-beta1-16012005:
- {core}: rate-distortion mode decision for bvops.
- {core}: two new postprocessing functions, brightness and deringing.
- {core}: vbv support in 2pass mode
- {core}: overal encoder speedup, especially for b-frames and all vhq modes.
- {core}: overal speedup of the decoder, merging decoding steps together in order to save significant memory bandwidth, enabled mmx qpel support that was misteriously disabled in 1.0.x. all optimizations could lead to a 25% speedup, and something closer to 12% in average.
- {core}: fixes to the cbr/abr rate controller, it should work much better with
bvops now.
- {core}: fix to the 2pass2 code that could cause doubling the overflow.
- {dshow}: support for brightness control.
- {vfw}: many small improvements.
------------------------------------------------------------

if someone who knows how to test (i don't) whether or not the 1.1.0-tree could solve the framedrop problems??

just fyi, if someone here cares.

-munde

ps: devs + mods, not sure if posted in the correct forum. move if seen necessary.
i have had this same problem with jsut about any media player i have tried when trying to stream xvids. (ie govideo 2730, gateway connected, oritron, mediamvp......) and gamestar17 had the answer right in his post earlier in this topic. the problem is packet bitstream. if you use a tool to modify the file and unpack bitstream, you can do it in seconds without re-encoding the whole file and then it will playfine..

i had done it on all my files and it works flawlessly and now i never have an audio skip or dropped frame or audio dync problems anymore. i had my friend try it on his xbmc, and he said it worked for hiim too.
i'm using the latest cvs build and notice when you enable to use the xvid instead of the ffmpeg decoder nothing happens when i click too play a video file.

i know the xvid decoder is slow but i thought i would point this bug out.
no bug, it was removed to save memory
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Sad 
i've missed this piece of news when it was announced but here it is anyway:  xvid 1.1.0 final has been released over at www.xvid.org (on december 30, 2005)! some changes since xvid 1.0.3 include:
- fixes decoding of interlaced content
- supports additional fourccs
- improved low bitrate quality.
- various decoder speedups

maybe would it be a good idea to update xbmc's mplayer with it and enable the native xvid decoder in mplayer again?, ...if only this early/late/skipped frames (caused by packet bitstream?) could be fixed

(gamester17 @ feb. 01 2006,11:34 Wrote:xvid 1.1.0 final has been released over at www.xvid.org
. . .
maybe would it be a good idea to update xbmc's mplayer with it and enable the native xvid decoder in mplayer again?
is there any progress with this?
see no point.. the xvid decoder is slower than the lavc we now use and it shouldn't have any big quality difference.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XviD 1.x.x bug; Loads of early/late/skipped frames0