XBMC is slow
Hi,

I have installed XBMC Live on a P4 2.4GHz, 1GB RAM, 80GB disk, Nvidia GeForce 6200. I'm running the screen in 1920x1080@50Hz and I have all my media files on a NAS.
When I run the system I think it's very slow and non responsive. If I use the mouse and right click a music folder it takes 10-20 sec for the menu to appear. Same thing for most other things I click. I thought that this might be due to network errors, but on the other hand I was able to play a DVD movie from an image on the server without any problems what so ever.

Any ideas why the system is slow and what I can do to solve it and/or investigate the cause?
I don't know if this is it, but for me you're a bit optimistic with your hardware. Keep in mind there's people struggling with a dual core processor and an 8xxx series card with that resolution.

Even if xbmc interface would work, I doubt you would be able to view any kind of movie. IMHO, of course!
As I said there is no problem viewing a DVD movie over the network. It's just the menus that are slow. I read another thread here about the gui not accepting every mouse click. At first it felt like that, but after a while I figured out that it did react to the click, it just took some time.

Speaking about resolution, I wasn't able to lower the resolution. If I set it to any other resolution the screen resolution was the same, but the GUI was in a box in the upper left corner.
You should try reducing the resolution to a smaller size. Let's say 720p. then you will notice an incredible increase of performance.
I am using a 8600GTS with 3ghz dualcore and had the same issue.

The problem with the small box in the upper right corner can be solved by adjusting the screen (same menupoint).
i had a similar problem in an older t3ch build on the xbox. it wound up being a corrupt "view" database (where the different folder/library views are stored). try re-naming the ViewModes.db file in ~/.xbmc/userdata/Database to ViewModes.db.old and rebooting.
Thanks for your help.

I think the problem was a mix of the click problem from the other thread and the resolution. I lowered the resolution to 720p and things got much better. I also noticed that I often move the mouse a pixel or two when I click and that often disables the click.

The system is up and running. Now it's time to tweak it... :-D
I have been thinking some more about this issue.

It has to be a bug/issue in XBMC. I have been running high resolution screens on Intel GMA based computers without any problems like this. If the high resolution is the cause for this something is terribly wrong in how the graphics is handled. I understand if DVD's or HD content is lagging, but we are talking plain menus here.
completely agree. But maybe thats why its still beta ? Smile
giplet Wrote:I have been thinking some more about this issue.

It has to be a bug/issue in XBMC. I have been running high resolution screens on Intel GMA based computers without any problems like this. If the high resolution is the cause for this something is terribly wrong in how the graphics is handled. I understand if DVD's or HD content is lagging, but we are talking plain menus here.

And I assume those were SDL apps with a very complex skinning engine, right? If not, the comparison doesn't really work. Your CPU just isn't strong enough to run at 1080 (keep in mind xbmc doesn't have hardware acceleration so that old P4 is doing it all by itself)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC is slow0