Remote control problems: Stop increases volume, rewind decreases volume
I have recently become infatuated with XBMC, but have been having a bit of difficulty getting my Gyration control (GYR3101US) to work well with XBMC.

Sooooo the controller is able to control the menu via the up, down, left, right buttons, and is able to press enter via the center button or the "enter" button. It's also able to kick me out to the home screen when I press "clear". Aside from that not a whole lot does anything.

Tonight I have discovered that I do, in fact, have volume up and down control, although volume up is bound to "stop" and volume down is bound to "seek backwards". This confused me quite a bit but gave me hope (and a temporary fix!) I've been researching alot, and can't seem to find a way to bind my remote! I have tried creating an AdvancedSettings.xml and setting displayremotecodes to true, but no remote codes come up. Regardless of this fact, I have also attempted to bind <obc#>VolumeUp</obc#> within Keymap.xml, where # is 1-50, hoping I would randomly stumble upon a working value or perhaps bind my whole controller to VolumeUp. Alas...nothing has changed since these configuration changes. I have seen many people suggest using lirc, but I do not have an IR controller. The Gyratioin is powered by a USB RF dongle, so I don't think lirc is what I'm looking for.

My question is:

Is there anything you can think that might allow me to map my remote using Keymap.xml

or....

Is there a program that can allow me to bind buttons on my remote to keyboard buttons (since I am able to bind my keyboard within Keymap.xml).

Thanks in advanced for the info and of course THANK YOU DEVS for porting xbmc to linux OMG!

-ratchet
since its not really clear exactly WHAT that remote is sending into Linux, maybe using xev could shed some light on it? All you need to do is run terminal and then inside of there run the command xev. Thats the X server event monitor, it'll show you a LOT of info about stuff going on. People have used it to figure out the keycodes for keyboards and stuff, so maybe it'll help get some info about what the RF remote is putting out and thus what you need to re-map to in your keymap.xml?
Catchy Signature Here
Hi SleepyP...thanks for the quick response! I was looking for something exactly like xev.

We've been trying to mess around with the thing with no luck. We started by hopping in the Keymap.xml and finding a keyboard key that worked. We chose "-", as it is able to turn down the volume right now. We deleted that line to ensure the Keymap.xml is actually alive, and sure enough the Keymap.xml does, in fact, have an effect on our XBMC install.

Next, we used xev to look at what "-" does. We saw the memory address next to the word "minus", so we figured we knew what to look for. Once we pressed the volumeup button on the Gyration remote, we saw another memory location followed by "XF86Back".

We then attempted to put <XF86Back>VolumeUp</XF86Back> into various sections of Keymap.xml such as the keyboard, remote, and universal remote sections. Nothing has worked so far, although we have noticed that when we re-bind a keyboard key, such as "Return", the Gyration is also affected. I'm almost at the point of just going through every keyboard command to configure this thing properly.

Any thoughts are much appreciated :]

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Remote control problems: Stop increases volume, rewind decreases volume0