Things I did to make XBMC/Boxee work using Ubuntu 8.10 and a ATI Card
Hi everyone,

Thought I created a new topic to let everyone know what works for me.

I had Underscan issues using HDMI and fullscreen OpenGL errors.

1. Installed Ubuntu 8.10 final
2. Installed all updates
3. Used the restricted driver.

After rebooting I had a big black border surrounding my screen no mather what screen resolution I selected.

4. opened up a terminal and entered this: aticonfig --initial
5. entered this: aticonfig --set-pcs-val=MCIL,DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan,0

reboot.

Now my black borders were gone, as in: no more underscan! Smile

The other problem I had was that boxee/XBMC looked messed up when entering fullscreen. Windowed looked fine...

So I opened up a terminal an entered this:

6. For Boxee: sudo .opt/boxee/run-boxee-window
7. For XBMC: sudo xbmc

This solved atleast my problems... hope it is of good use for anyone else...

P.S. If anybody knows how to change my default boxee shortcut to run with sudo rights please let me know because I hate opening up the terminal to run stuff...
mavgink Wrote:4. opened up a terminal and entered this: aticonfig --initial
5. entered this: aticonfig --set-pcs-val=MCIL,DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan,0

reboot.

Thanks! This made my current setup (ubuntu8.10, HD2600pro+HDMI, XBMC pre-8.10 SVN 16090, panasonic TH-42PV70) a lot better. Had massive underscan before applying #4 & #5. I now have just a little bit overscan, but since this is a XBMC-only setup it does not matter that much. XBMC is filling the screen perfectly.

DrE
mavgink Wrote:P.S. If anybody knows how to change my default boxee shortcut to run with sudo rights please let me know because I hate opening up the terminal to run stuff...
Change the launcher to run "sudo /path/to/boxeeorxbmc" instead of just "/path/to/whatever", then edit the sudoers file with "sudo visudo" and add a line similar to

ALL ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: /path/to/boxeeorxbmc

If you don't know how to use vi, change visudo to use gedit via these instructions:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Sudoers

Also you may want to run xbmc/boxee with gksudo rather than sudo, it'll save you a terminal window in the background.
aah I see... will try it when I'm home.... thanks!
DrErling Wrote:Thanks! This made my current setup (ubuntu8.10, HD2600pro+HDMI, XBMC pre-8.10 SVN 16090, panasonic TH-42PV70) a lot better. Had massive underscan before applying #4 & #5. I now have just a little bit overscan, but since this is a XBMC-only setup it does not matter that much. XBMC is filling the screen perfectly.

DrE

Maybe you can fix that using the tv's settings.. I have a Panasonic 42PX80 and the setup menu has a under/overscan option that can be toggled on or off...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Things I did to make XBMC/Boxee work using Ubuntu 8.10 and a ATI Card0