• 6(current)
VDPAU API for Linux released by NVIDIA today - GPU hardware accelerated video decoder
a simple ffmpeg update will not be sufficient to get this working.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Damn it, I thought I merged all of these threads into one...
feerlessleadr Wrote:there is an xbmc developer working on hardware acceleration as a GSoC project and there is a topic in the linux dev forum, but don't ask for any updates there because they will rip your head off....No

Yes but isn't that code specifically for the ffmpeg guys and not the xbmc code? He might develop for "US" too but i am almost certain it's all for ffmpeg.
i don't know, I think it's for xbmc, cause otherwise why would he have done the google summer of code for xbmc and not for ffmpeg? i'm pretty sure ffmpeg was an option as well
Maybe if we all threw money into a big pot and held it over some dev's head it would get things done faster Smile

Either way i have 2-3 months before I build a pc for dedicated XBMC use...i can wait and see what happens Cool
malloc Wrote:a simple ffmpeg update will not be sufficient to get this working.
Well obviously not. The real meat of the implementation this come from the need to have a pluggable video output system, since you can't render VDPAU to a GL context. Or at least that's what I make of it.

It was a question for my own curiosity more than a "hey who is in charge? get to work!". XBMC has so much going on with various developers and trees that I'm just trying to wrap my head around it.
CapnBry Wrote:Well obviously not. The real meat of the implementation this come from the need to have a pluggable video output system, since you can't render VDPAU to a GL context. Or at least that's what I make of it.

It was a question for my own curiosity more than a "hey who is in charge? get to work!". XBMC has so much going on with various developers and trees that I'm just trying to wrap my head around it.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you were demanding everything. When you asked about ffmpeg sources I just wanted it to be clear to everyone (I know you understand) that updating ffmpeg is just a tiny step in the right direction. Although as far as I know, ffmpeg doesn't have the necessary patches included yet.

I really appreciate all of the insightful comments you've added to this thread.

The hardest part will be adding the OSD overlay to the video since we can't render the video to a GL texture. Without that, we'd be sacrificing the user experience that is XBMC (one of the biggest reasons we don't include mplayer as a player). If you're a coder, I'm sure we can get you in contact with the interested developers on the team to help out.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
malloc Wrote:The hardest part will be adding the OSD overlay to the video since we can't render the video to a GL texture.

I'm not 100%, but it might be possible with VdpPresentationQueue --> http://http.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/...queue.html
Everything would have to be pre-scaled, though.
VdpPresentationQueue doesn't appear (on a quick scan) to handle alpha blending, so if we're rendering the video in the background it'll be a no-go, similarly for alpha blended OSDs. I'm sure there must be some way to do it via the API, though I suspect it'll be tricky within the GL setup we have if the video is embedded in the skin and blended with other skin elements (as is frequently the case with newer skins).

Cheers,
Jonathan

Has anyone tried asking in the nvidia forums?
jmarshall Wrote:VdpPresentationQueue doesn't appear (on a quick scan) to handle alpha blending, so if we're rendering the video in the background it'll be a no-go, similarly for alpha blended OSDs. I'm sure there must be some way to do it via the API, though I suspect it'll be tricky within the GL setup we have if the video is embedded in the skin and blended with other skin elements (as is frequently the case with newer skins).

Cheers,
Jonathan

I think you're right. Looking through the API and header, I see that VdpBitmapSurface is used for OSD or application UI compositing and it may be in one of the following formats:
Code:
00664 typedef uint32_t VdpRGBAFormat;
00678 #define VDP_RGBA_FORMAT_B8G8R8A8    (VdpRGBAFormat)0
00691 #define VDP_RGBA_FORMAT_R8G8B8A8    (VdpRGBAFormat)1
00704 #define VDP_RGBA_FORMAT_R10G10B10A2 (VdpRGBAFormat)2
00717 #define VDP_RGBA_FORMAT_B10G10R10A2 (VdpRGBAFormat)3
00728 #define VDP_RGBA_FORMAT_A8          (VdpRGBAFormat)4
I don't know what those mean or if any of them support alpha-blending, but I'll ask over at nvidia.

I've only just begun glancing through the XBMC sources, and it seems to me that even if it is possible, it would require a pretty major rewrite of all things video output related -- even to the extent that it would probably have to be branched off into a separate release.

EDIT: I'm unable to register with any of nvidia's forums because I didn't set up a *real* email account with my ISP. However, I've been able to determine that the "A" in the above formats does indeed stand for "Alpha". So I guess that means it's at least possible.

While I have you guys here, thanks for the best UI in town! I hope there's enough interest to take on this non-trivial task. I'll keep digging through the sources, but I don't know if I'll be of much help.
Have you tried a mailinator email address?

It does appear that they support alpha, but it would still be a pain to implement without writing to a gl texture. They may not support that for security (drm) reasons.
malloc Wrote:Have you tried a mailinator email address?

It does appear that they support alpha, but it would still be a pain to implement without writing to a gl texture. They may not support that for security (drm) reasons.

LOL, no dice with mailinator. Also, I found this here --> http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]
Quote:>> * Defines an API for compositing sub-picture, on-screen display,
>> and other UI elements.
>
> I assume this indicates that video can easily be used as textures for opengl
> surfaces, and that opengl surfaces (with alpha transparency support) can
> easily be superimposed over video output?

Yes. The VDPAU presentation queue can be created wrt any X drawable.
So you should be able have VDPAU deliver final frames to an X pixmap,
and then use the GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap extension to texture from
that pixmap. Note: there is not yet an API in place for synchronizing
between VDPAU and OpenGL, so this would be somewhat racy today.
mailinator has a ton of alternate domains:
Quote:Alternate Domains:
* mailinator2.com
* sogetthis.com
* mailin8r.com
* mailinator.net
* spamherelots.com
* thisisnotmyrealemail.com

That's some very helpful message indeed. And an NVIDIA engineer to ask questions of as well. Smile
Bugmenot is no longer up but they have a helpful list of other alternate address to use http://email.bugmenot.com/

One thing that has impressed me in the past is that the NVIDIA engineers DO seem to answer questions. Both on their boards and on some mailing lists out there. I'm no developer but watching the back and forth on the ffmpeg list with the NVIDIA engineers concerning their patches has been interesting -> http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/ffmp...html#56054
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VDPAU API for Linux released by NVIDIA today - GPU hardware accelerated video decoder3