• 2(current)
VDPAU API for Linux released by NVIDIA today - GPU hardware accelerated video decoder
I've looked at the release notes for the NVIDIA video decoder. It's currently very unstable. It also only works on GeForce 8xxx and up.

AMD and Intel are going in different directions. So with everyone going their own way, our current OpenGL implementation is still preferred. Though we're always looking at alternatives and welcome patches.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
onesojourner Wrote:oh this is incredible news. when xbmc can implement this it will make for ultimate cheap media center pcs.

My bad luck again. I have just built my expensive E8400 CPU and Intel video. If I knew this, I would have got cheaper on CPU and Mobo and add NVidia inside Smile

Still my desktop in Linux with NVidia card so I cheer the news! Smile
I've looked at the release notes for the NVIDIA video decoder. It's currently very unstable. It also only works on GeForce 8xxx and up.

AMD and Intel are going in different directions. So with everyone going their own way, our current OpenGL implementation is still preferred. Though we're always looking at alternatives and welcome patches.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
To get widespread adoption, XBMC badly needs hardware acceleration. Whatever it takes, I say, and high priority. Boxes like the Popcorn Hour will be the default choice for many until then.
So we should adopt an API that crashes users computers and only works on less than 10% of machines out there?
Yes, it's only going to get better isn't it. XBMC could become the first choice for testing, which can only be good news for publicity, and more incentive to fix it IMO
malloc Wrote:So we should adopt an API that crashes users computers and only works on less than 10% of machines out there?
Sounds like a plan.
FlappySocks Wrote:Yes, it's only going to get better isn't it. XBMC could become the first choice for testing, which can only be good news for publicity, and more incentive to fix it IMO

We welcome patches.
As always, folks trying to tell devs what to do Smile Ii aint work.
The guy said it clear: patches are welcome Smile

So all the wise guys here - instead of talking and saying devs should stop all and implement an unstable API, get the SVN source yourself and apply those nvidia ffmpeg patches into XBMC's ffmpeg copy directly.

Then change the code where needed to change default codecs to those with accell and upload the patch Smile

I would have tryed that myself but it turns out GeForce 7xxx is a no-go.... plus I have my own projects to develop Smile
gbyte Wrote:I would have tryed that myself but it turns out GeForce 7xxx is a no-go.... plus I have my own projects to develop Smile

I would have been on this faster than flies on **** if it supported the 7300 Smile
Sounds like perhaps donations are needed to support the devs upgrading to 8x series cards? Most of you guys running PCIe for video?

Perhaps a couple of these?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814141068

Or these?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814127367

Plenty of options it seems http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcom...6814125242

I for one would be happy to help out with a card if it could be arranged, others might as well. Seems fair to me....
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
davilla seems interested, though I suggest you don't make him have to deal with rebates.
http://xbmc.org/contribute/donate/
BLKMGK, You have onboard Intel GMA X3500 and a GeForce 8500GT. Isn't that 1 video card too much? Tongue

Donate your GeForce Big Grin
malloc Wrote:davilla seems interested, though I suggest you don't make him have to deal with rebates.
http://xbmc.org/contribute/donate/

Just donated $50 to the effort. Promise to do it again once first PPA is available with hardware decoding. Smile
Thumbs Up 
gbyte Wrote:BLKMGK, You have onboard Intel GMA X3500 and a GeForce 8500GT. Isn't that 1 video card too much? Tongue

Donate your GeForce Big Grin

Nah, the Intel was a PITA! I do have a spare 8400 but that is likely going into a new XBMC build for someone else. If Davilla wants one of those I'll happily buy it for him to develop with, he can contact me via PM and it should be fairly easy since I think he is in the States as am I. It's the least I can do to help out IMO and the cards are pretty danged cheap! Really what's a few bux to help someone interested in getting this working? <shrug> I ought to be able to drop ship one right off of NewEgg for himCool I'd love to see the CPU requirements for XBMC go down, maybe even make AMD CPUs usefulShocked

Edit: oh and no sweat on the silly rebates, I too HATE those things. Just seems like when you guys need stuff to test with or develop for it makes sense for someone to step up and just buy it for you. As cheap as 64bit CPUs have gotten I'm surprised no one has done that with everyone crying about 64bit issuesRolleyes These vid cards are dirt cheap now and with all the use I get from XBMC I'm the last person to cry over $50 worth of hardware to help out. Imagine if a $50 vid card saved you $$ on a CPU and motherboard if this worked out, seems worth it to me!
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VDPAU API for Linux released by NVIDIA today - GPU hardware accelerated video decoder3