Porting XBMC to other hardware platforms that uses a non-x86 processor architecture?
Question 
Hi!

I've just discovered the tribbox, an "open" set-top-box which is based on the sti7109 chip, which seems to be of SH4 architecture and it runs linux. You can find more about it on http://www.tribbox.com

Although this thingy has hdtv support, I'm sure it is weaker than the x-box when it comes to rendering and stuff.

Anyway, I think the XBMC's abilities when it comes to skinning and scripting are one of the best things I've ever seen.

I was able to find out that SDL via Framebuffer works on this box. But I doubt that OpenGL will run. The hardware's just too weak... But animations are not that important to me and I think it would be fast enough for some navigation etc nonetheless.

So how much effort do you think would be necessary to get XBMC running on this hardware?
Are makefiles and source code prepared for "just inserting another target platform" or is there more to it?

Thanks for your responses

Martin
you'd need to port to the processor if it's not x86. you'd need opengl. it's not a matter of opengl being used for animation, you can't build xbmc without opengl. so you'd need to port opengl to it. once you've got those down we can talk specifics.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I guess, that would be a show stopper than Sad

thanks for the quick response
I thought u could build xbmc without opengl, using SDL...
Atleast thats what ive been lead to believe from the README.linux file...

Usage (examples):

.1 Make a 3D version with debug (requires OpenGL hardware acceleration
support on gfx-adapter)
# ./build.sh

.2 Make a SDL 2D version (very slow) + no debug (more CONFIGOPT's are
listed below in section 4.2)
# ./build.sh CONFIGOPT=--disable-gl CONFIGOPT=--disable-debug

?
¤ [McGeagh] ¤
could be possible. give it a try, i'm curious to see what "very slow" means.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Very slow was <5fps last I tried. I don't think that option is even maintained anymore, so it probably doesn't even work. We need to just remove it.
And it looks like build.sh in SVN does not even handle --disable-gl anymore.
I'm looking in to using the hardware off this Dish Network VIP612 HD DVR to run xbmc. It has the STi7109 chip... Here's the specs on the chip... http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-p...I7109.html

It's made for HD, has the HDMI out and digital audio out, etc.

Do you think this hardware will work if I can get linux to run on it?
no.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Porting XBMC to other hardware platforms that uses a non-x86 processor architecture?1