Issues with Mezzmo Kodi addon with minidlna UPnP server on Ubuntu 22.04
(2024-04-09, 22:24)cepamoi Wrote: Hi Jeff,

A more general question about UPnP/DLNA servers:
As you seem to have tested many UPnP/DLNA servers, which one(s) would you recommend?
What I like in Gerbera and in minidlna is that they are lightweight with a small memory footprint.

Thanks.

I can't say that I have looked at them from the hosting / footprint perspective.  I have always focused on features and functionality.  Things I look for are: HTTP vs. Native UPnP, maximum metadata / artwork, client interoperability, library management features,  stability, ease of use and flexibility.

I've always kept mine simple and run them on Windows but many can run on Linux and Containers.  I personally only run Mezzmo for myself and the family.  I have a testbed for some of the others to support interoperability testing with the Mezzmo Kodi addon that I author.  Other popular servers often mentioned in the Kodi forums are:  Emby, Jellyfin and Plex.   I am sure other forum members may weigh in here. 

Thanks,

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
(2024-04-09, 22:18)cepamoi Wrote: Hi Jeff,
(2024-04-09, 01:57)jbinkley60 Wrote: I am going to try a different approach for minidlna UPnP photos.  Out of curiosity what format are your photos (i.e. jpg, png etc.. ) ?  It shouldn't make a different but I want to confirm.

My photos are all jpg. Just for testing, I converted some of them to png. But the png images are not visible when I browse the content of minidlna. And it is the same with Mezzmo, Kodi native UPnP and with my Panasonic TV. It seems that minidlna does not support png, probably a bug or a limitation.
The png images are visible and can be displayed using Gerbera + Mezzmo or Kodi.

I've tried a few different methods and no luck getting the Kodi player or some other methods to interpret the UPnP URL strings for photos.  At this point I am not going to spend any more time on it right now.  I am going to add an option to allow the user to enable or disable UPnP URLs for photos using the Kodi player.  It looks like some UPnP servers will work and others won't.  For the ones which don't the user can disable this to avoid accidentally trying or go with a DLNA sever that leverages HTTP, which we know always works.   

Thanks again for all of your help with testing.  I'll get a new production release out with all the changes in the next couple of days.

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Issues with Mezzmo Kodi addon with minidlna UPnP server on Ubuntu 22.040