CPU Question
I am building a new XBMC HTPC based on the new Intel G45 mobile chipset and need to make a CPU choice. I am torn between between the X9100 (dual core 3.06Ghz) and the QX9300 (quad core 2.53Ghz). Since XBMC relies heavily on the CPU for video processing, which proc would give me the best performance playing back 1080P mkv material that is out there now.
My E8500 plays everything including the killer sample just fine in XBMC so I suspect that the x9100 would do the same. Quad core isn't utilized by XBMC currently I don't think, so dual core is better.

As an owner of a G45 chipset, I suggest you find something better as the X4500 gpu does not play well with XBMC. See http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5202 for my refresh rate headaches which leads to jittery video. Take a look at Nvidia 9300 based motherboards instead.
Thanks, unfortunately I am wanting something in mini-itx and the 9300 isn't offered in mini-itx.

I guess I will just wait until someone does something in mini-itx and 9300.
From everything I understand, XBMC will only use 2 cores at present, so the quad core would be a waste. Better to have a faster dual core CPU.

Caveat: I'm brand new to this. Put together a dual core AMD 6000+ box and it seems to be handling video just fine.
I'm not sure how ffmpeg handles multi core but I see an almost even distribution over all four cores.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
WiSo Wrote:I'm not sure how ffmpeg handles multi core but I see an almost even distribution over all four cores.

So the quad-core at 2.53Ghz or the dual-core at 3.06Ghz?
My 2.4ghz Quad Q6600 (a tad overclocked) litterary destroys video... encoding and playing... my 2.6ghz core 2 duo does not Sad

But people tend think they are noisey (due to cooling), hot running and not necassary... again mine seems none of these... Huh

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
CPU Question0