Internal IR receiver for HTPC that can Power ON/OFF computer hard like button press?
if your electrically inclined you can build this one:
http://www.engbedded.com/wake-on-lirc

You need to build a programmer but you'll find the software and details here
http://www.lancos.com/prog.html

I've got two different configs. One powers on using the PME signal on a PCI slot, another has a few extra parts and is connected across the power switch. Both use the same code for the microcontroller from the web site.
Question 
Re-posted full question so removed this version.
I have simply connected a cheap (20$) Infrared keyboard, set my bios to "power on PS/2 Mouse o KeyBoard", and learn IR code of keyboard (integrated) mouse button on my programmable remote.
Question 
All,
I know that this thread may not appear to belong in this forum, but I think many XBMC for Windows users would want the functionality I'm looking for. And maybe someone here already has figured it out!
I'm searching for a way to turn on and off my windows computer with an infrared remote control. I have a Dell Optiplex 755 with Microsoft MCE remote and USB receiver (which work great with XBMC) and I don't see any special settings or software already installed that does this. I'm aware of PC cases that have an IR receiver that can turn on/off a computer, but I'm not going to pull the guts out of my Dell Optiplex just to get this capability. All of my searches for third party hardware to do this have been fruitless. My ideal option would be software that could work with my MCE IR receiver to interpret a specific keypress sequence as a shutdown command. I think the issue is with getting a powered down PC to recognize an IR signal and turn the computer on. I would be equally happy with a piece of hardware that would sit between the PC case power switch and motherboard power header and allow an IR sequence to be interpretted as a power button press. I unfortunately do not have the time to build a DIY device out of a doorbell, like i've seen around. I need an out of the box solution. Any ideas, products or corrections to my assumptions are appreciated. Thank You
I've used an MCE IR to put my system to standby and wake it up, but never power off and never power on from a powered off state. I'm not sure how it would work since the USB MCE IR is not powered when the system is off.

Best case scenario is wake from Hibernate which has to be supported by the mobo.

If you are looking for powering on from a complete power off state, then MCE IR probably can't do it.
Supernoman, how do you configure windows XP to use the MCE remote to go into and come out of hibernate? I'd be okay with that! Thanks!
pasqualz Wrote:Supernoman, how do you configure windows XP to use the MCE remote to go into and come out of hibernate? I'd be okay with that! Thanks!

I am pretty sure that you will first need to look in your BIOS settings to confirm that you can use a USB attached device to wake your computer from ACPI S4 (which is hibernate).

I was wrestling with this problem as well, but I found that putting the computer to sleep works just as well, since the computer looks like it is off (and souds like it is off), and it also enables me to use an MCE receiver to wake the computer up. The only thing you would have to do is have your remote send a command (and I think any command would work) to the MCE receiver to have the computer wake up.

But like I said you need to look in your BIOS settings to see if you can have your computer be woken up from S4 sleep (hibernation) or S3 sleep (just regular sleep or standby).
Again, hibernate is not supported by all mobos. I have Asus and Gigabyte and neither support it. I use standby, plus it "boots" back to XBMC quicker than hibernate would.

MCE remote should have a power button. In Windows power options, select the behavior you would like when the system power button is pressed, power off, standby, hibernate. I use standby.

Also, make sure under System, Device Manager, that your MCE IR is enabled to wake system. There may also be a corresponding BIOS option to allow USB devices to wake system.

pasqualz Wrote:Supernoman, how do you configure windows XP to use the MCE remote to go into and come out of hibernate? I'd be okay with that! Thanks!
I can't speak for mce remote but I use the cheapy cyberlink remote and functions perfectly on my dell d520. Couldn't get it to work at all in xp though would power down but always had to user power button to bring back. Runs fine in vista though.
Supernoman, So yoiu're saying that the power button on the MCE remote is recognized as a system power button? I was assuming that the MCE remote power button would be recognized as a distinctly different button and show up in power options as a separate button too.
pasqualz Wrote:All,
I know that this thread may not appear to belong in this forum, but I think many XBMC for Windows users would want the functionality I'm looking for. And maybe someone here already has figured it out!
I'm searching for a way to turn on and off my windows computer with an infrared remote control. I have a Dell Optiplex 755 with Microsoft MCE remote and USB receiver (which work great with XBMC) and I don't see any special settings or software already installed that does this. I'm aware of PC cases that have an IR receiver that can turn on/off a computer, but I'm not going to pull the guts out of my Dell Optiplex just to get this capability. All of my searches for third party hardware to do this have been fruitless. My ideal option would be software that could work with my MCE IR receiver to interpret a specific keypress sequence as a shutdown command. I think the issue is with getting a powered down PC to recognize an IR signal and turn the computer on. I would be equally happy with a piece of hardware that would sit between the PC case power switch and motherboard power header and allow an IR sequence to be interpretted as a power button press. I unfortunately do not have the time to build a DIY device out of a doorbell, like i've seen around. I need an out of the box solution. Any ideas, products or corrections to my assumptions are appreciated. Thank You

Indeed, there is a way...

There is an XBOX mod called the XIR by Greengiant, this is a small atx mod that sits on the permanent 3.3v on your ATX connector and listens for a pre programmed IR signal to trigger the on signal in the ATX connector. This can be adapted to suit a PC ATX connector.

http://xir.us/

Happy modding!
I can't recall for sure since I was using eventghost and my harmony remote. It may have been a trigger in eventghost to call system.standby.

pasqualz Wrote:Supernoman, So yoiu're saying that the power button on the MCE remote is recognized as a system power button? I was assuming that the MCE remote power button would be recognized as a distinctly different button and show up in power options as a separate button too.
All, after an exhaustive search I've found a product for $40 that does what I originally wanted. http://www.simerec.com/PCS-2.html This device gets plugged in between your computer's power switch and the power header on the motherboard. You then quickly program teh device to interpret a specific IR signal (any button on your remote) as an on or off command and it makes your mother board think you've just pressed the power button to either turn on or off your computer. No messing with windows power settings, stand by and hibernate modes! You simply turn on or off your computer from across the room. This works for me because i'm only going to build a stripped down PC for XBMC to replace my aging modded xbox. Thsi way I'll have high def in a small form factor! I'd be interested to know if anyone else knows of similar products from otehr company's out there.
Thanks!
I, for one, have gone the route of standby as well. Using MCE Remote receiver + Harmony + EventGhost is a dream come true. Very high WAF as well.
snappz Wrote:I have the Antec Fusion 430, not sure about the rest of the series but I would ASSUME they do the same.

I also had a MCE303 that I had powering up at one stage but it isnt at the moment. I guess it should but I dont have access to it atm.

I have an Antec Fusion 430, and I have a working harmony remote, how did you manage to get the remote to power up/down the htpc? Do you go into hibernate, or is it a full shoutdown?

I would appreciate if you could provide details on this.

Thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Internal IR receiver for HTPC that can Power ON/OFF computer hard like button press?2