[LINUX] XBMC on VIA KM400 GPU with OpenChrome graphics drivers
Hi,

I would like to recycle an Acer Aspire 1350 with AMD Athlon 2600, 512MB RAM, VIA chipset and GPU KM400 S3 Unichrome as a portable media center for theater uses.

I installed an Xubuntu that works fine with the Openchrome driver. However when I start XBMC I get a white screen and some "shadow" of words in the menus. Reading past messages I understood that it should be related to the driver and the poor graphic set I have.

Since I would like to have a very basic system usable by non skilled people, Is there anything I may try, like basic skins or reduced effects, in order to let it run?

Thanks in advance
The problem is nothing to do with the complexity of the skin, but the presentation system we use. Currently the only solution could be to build with out opengl support (./configure --disable-gl). Though, AFAIK the code for that option has been unmaintained for quite some time and may not even compile. Regardless, performance w/o GL was atrocious ( <10fps in GUI, poor video playback, etc) last I tried, and that system was way more powerful than the one you describe. Your best bet would be to buy a cheap Nvidia gf6+ GPU.
Thanks althekiller, I was suspicious of that Sad
althekiller Wrote:Your best bet would be to buy a cheap Nvidia gf6+ GPU.
May be you did not realized that my machine is a laptop. Is there a way to upgrade the GPU? If so, may you point me out a site where to find instructions?

In any case I may continue enjoying XBMC on my modded Xbox, thank you all guys for this fantastic piece of code Big Grin
Jimmi
Have you tried this?

ZIOLele
Same notebook, same problems, same request (a solution) Wink

I've tried to compile without the opengl support, there is always the white screen problem.

I tried to install the openchrome drivers:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OpenChrome

...mh.. and Direct rendering is enabled

...but.. same problem.. so after this trials i think it's not a opengl problem..
The openchrome drivers don't support enough gl to be useful to us.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] XBMC on VIA KM400 GPU with OpenChrome graphics drivers1