Kodi car pc
I am working on building a car pc with kodi as the front end. I will be developing my own skin to work well with the small screen I will be putting in my dash. This is the easy part.
Here are some of the end goals which will require extensive add-ons and a lot of development from me. If you know any plug-ins that do anything here let me know. One of the biggest points I need to know is if kodi can directly access hardware in plug-ins or would I have to use a launcher or feed commands to another program.

1) phone calls. My phone will connect to kodi and I will push a button to make a call.

2) Color control. I will be wiring the car with rgb leds and pushing a button will change the colors of the leds as well as changing the skin color.

3) bluetooth. Ideally I should be able to connect or disconnect bluetooth in the kodi interface.

4) aux input. When i hit a button it will feed the aux in to the audio output with any dsp filters (this is important as aux should go to 4.1 not just 2 speakers)

5) GPS. This one is probably the most realistic, but it should at least play nicely with it.

6) voice commands. This is the most important part. And will tie all these plug-ins together. Distracted driving is bad. So it should support everything from play song, album, artist, to call, navigate, or change color.

Most of these things require kodi being able to access hardware. Is it doable or is it simply a pipe dream?
You know that there are car radios based on Android which can already do all of that, right?
Except maybe the voice command.
(2016-05-22, 09:54)Netuddki Wrote: You know that there are car radios based on Android which can already do all of that, right?

A lot of them are still very lacking in features and usability. It's actually very surprising to me that there isn't more software out for this kind of car use-case.
(2016-05-22, 09:54)Netuddki Wrote: You know that there are car radios based on Android which can already do all of that, right?

Most of them suck. The software should be further ahead than it is. The high end Kenwoods are pretty buggy. The Pioneer I have is lacking for it's high price.

OP keep us posted.
Did you read this thread? http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=225688

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi car pc0