Live 8.10 hard drive detection
Hello,

I installed the Live 8.10 and is running from USB. Is it nornal the fact that in "Add source" for Video,Music etc. the hard drives (NTFS) are not shown? Since during the installation process I could see the hard drives as those were options for installing to (sda,sdb,sdc,etc.) I assume the fact that the disk drives are not visible due to NTFS filesystem. Is that true or something is wrong with my installed XBMC Live? Is there a workaround for this , or I am doomed to get a normal Ubuntu install? Huh
If i'm correct linux does not support NTFS out of the box.. big chance you cannot see the partitions because of that reason.... During install though you didn't see partitions but hard-drives them self, if you choose to install XMBC live on one of those drives the (ntfs, all) partitions would be removed and formatted to another Filesystem format (guessing FAT32).

There are some tools out there which can change the filesystem witout fileloss....
charos Wrote:Hello,

I installed the Live 8.10 and is running from USB. Is it nornal the fact that in "Add source" for Video,Music etc. the hard drives (NTFS) are not shown? Since during the installation process I could see the hard drives as those were options for installing to (sda,sdb,sdc,etc.) I assume the fact that the disk drives are not visible due to NTFS filesystem. Is that true or something is wrong with my installed XBMC Live? Is there a workaround for this , or I am doomed to get a normal Ubuntu install? Huh

You are seeing the hard disk device itself, not the partitions or filesystems it contains.

I don't know if the XBMC Live is configured to automount known filesystems into the tree or not (I've not used it on a system with a hard drive installed) so the fact that they are NTFS might be irrelevant. It might just be XBMC doesn't mount local partitions automatically. You might be able to login to the console and manually mount them.
Thanks for the answers guys. I knew that the drives are detected but not the partitions. To make it more clear, does XBMC Live has NTFS (even read only will do fine) support or because of being stripped down version of Ubuntu this has been removed? I am only asking because I don't want to mess with mountpoints and then realize that NTFS is not supported!
All working. NTFS works fine !
mount -t ntfs-3g with force mode and everything runs smooth. I need to edit my fstab now to avoid 5 mounts for every restart!
XBMC Live should be able to mount removable NTFS drives with no problems and this is because the linux subsystem allow non admins to mount removable drives but not internal ones. I though we had a script at startup that would mount all available harddrives but perhaps NTFS isnt working as it should.

if it was a removable Id love to see the log before you did the mount call?

Cheers,
Tobias
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
The hard drives are inside the pc connected to a Sil Image pci ide controller. Were not removable disks with NTFS filesystem on usb (if that's what you meant). If you are still interested I can do this once more and give you the log from the ssh terminal. The reason for the force mode was because it was saying something about drive in use (pretty weird but then again my knowledge in linux is pretty basic) . Although I gave up with the live version because of frequent system crashes and lack of proper keymap with Dinovo Mini. Sadly, back to XBMC for XP Sad
charos Wrote:The hard drives are inside the pc connected to a Sil Image pci ide controller. Were not removable disks with NTFS filesystem on usb (if that's what you meant). If you are still interested I can do this once more and give you the log from the ssh terminal. The reason for the force mode was because it was saying something about drive in use (pretty weird but then again my knowledge in linux is pretty basic) . Although I gave up with the live version because of frequent system crashes and lack of proper keymap with Dinovo Mini. Sadly, back to XBMC for XP Sad

Nah then I dont need it. XBMC cant mount internal volumes, just read them so no need.

The force mode is usually if Windows haven´t been shutdown properly, like unplugging the powerplugg while windows is running Smile

Cheers,
Tobias

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Topfs2 Wrote:XBMC cant mount internal volumes, just read them so no need

You mean it doesn't automount them ,right ? Is there a concept behind this?
yeah it doesnt automount them as XBMC cant.
Allthough there is a script at startup which should mount them, but I have no clue if NTFS is included in that script. Im fairly sure that if it is there it doesnt have the force addition so it could be that aswell.

Thanks for the clarification m8 !
Hi Guys,

I am having problems with my 320gig (NTFS) external drivein XBMC Live 8.10. XBMC Live used to pick up the drive fine when I plug it in. It suddenly stopped doing that. I removed all my files from the drive and reformatted it and it still doesnt pick it up when I plug it in. I re-installed my XBMC and still nothing. What am I doing wrong? Confused
If you can access a terminal, just after plugging in the external drive (USB?) run "dmesg" and look for anything that looks like an error relating to USB, or just post the last 20 or so lines (Or use pastebin to post as much as you like). It's most likely something up with the MBR and when it tries to automount it, it doesn't know what to do.
jsrossouw Wrote:Hi Guys,

I am having problems with my 320gig (NTFS) external drivein XBMC Live 8.10. XBMC Live used to pick up the drive fine when I plug it in. It suddenly stopped doing that. I removed all my files from the drive and reformatted it and it still doesnt pick it up when I plug it in. I re-installed my XBMC and still nothing. What am I doing wrong? Confused

Please provide full XBMC Debug Log on ie pastebin.com

Cheers,
Tobias

[ 7271.394086] scsi 3:0:0:0: Direct-Access USB Storage 1.04 PQ: 0 ANSI: 4
[ 7271.398943] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] 625142448 512-byte hardware sectors (320073 MB)
[ 7271.400059] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
[ 7271.400070] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: 21 00 00 00
[ 7271.400073] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
[ 7271.403295] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] 625142448 512-byte hardware sectors (320073 MB)
[ 7271.404167] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
[ 7271.404171] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: 21 00 00 00
[ 7271.404174] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
[ 7271.404180] sdb: sdb1
[ 7271.630032] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI disk
[ 7271.630081] sd 3:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0
[ 7272.670350] UDF-fs: No partition found (1)
[ 7272.687321] UDF-fs: No partition found (1)
[ 7272.731744] ISOFS: Unable to identify CD-ROM format.
[ 7272.776042] ISOFS: Unable to identify CD-ROM format.
[ 7272.778656] FAT: utf8 is not a recommended IO charset for FAT filesystems, filesystem will be case sensitive!
[ 7272.779548] FAT: bogus number of reserved sectors
[ 7272.779552] VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev sdb1.
[ 7272.782544] FAT: bogus number of reserved sectors
[ 7272.782552] VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev sdb1.
[ 7272.951740] hfs: unable to find HFS+ superblock
[ 7272.955108] hfs: unable to find HFS+ superblock
[ 7272.958481] hfs: can't find a HFS filesystem on dev sdb1.
[ 7272.962081] hfs: can't find a HFS filesystem on dev sdb1.
[ 7272.964980] VFS: Can't find ext3 filesystem on dev sdb1.
[ 7272.967850] VFS: Can't find ext3 filesystem on dev sdb1.
[ 7272.970719] VFS: Can't find an ext2 filesystem on dev sdb1.
[ 7272.973589] VFS: Can't find an ext2 filesystem on dev sdb1.
[ 7272.977072] ReiserFS: sdb1: warning: sh-2021: reiserfs_fill_super: can not find reiserfs on sdb1
[ 7272.980567] ReiserFS: sdb1: warning: sh-2021: reiserfs_fill_super: can not find reiserfs on sdb1
[ 7273.055948] XFS: bad magic number
[ 7273.055955] XFS: SB validate failed
[ 7273.059193] XFS: bad magic number
[ 7273.059199] XFS: SB validate failed

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Live 8.10 hard drive detection1