• 5(current)
'Adjust refresh rate' now working for Windows
how can I find out what frequency my tv is broadcasting? (1080p@24/50/60)
staticx Wrote:how can I find out what frequency my tv is broadcasting? (1080p@24/50/60)

Usually you can press the OK/Select button and a bar will pop up and display the current resolution and refresh rate.
azido Wrote:this might be a silly question, but:

how can i find out which refresh rates my tv supports? shouldn't every tv be able to use 24hz? it's an "orion" hd-ready tv with a max resolution of 1366x768 (720p/1080i max)
I don't know how many modern TVs' support true 24hz but for my recently bought plasma (Panasonic TH-50PX8) they made a marketing thing of it supporting 24hz-material. It's a 100Hz-tv which switches to 96Hz (24x4) when it is fed with a 24Hz-signal.

From wikipedia (article "HDTV blur"):

One possible advantage of a 100 Hz + display is superior conversion of the standard 24frame/s film speed. Usually movies and other film sources in NTSC are converted for home viewing using what is called 3:2 pulldown which uses 4 frames from the original to create 5 (interlaced) frames in the output. As a result 3:2 pulldown shows odd frames for 50 milliseconds and even frames for 33 milliseconds. At 120 Hz 5:5 pulldown from 24frame/s video is possible[14] meaning all frames are on screen for the same 42 milliseconds. This eliminates the jerky effect associated with 3:2 pulldown called telecine judder. However, to use 5:5 pulldown instead of the normal 3:2 pulldown requires either support for 24 frame/s output like 1080p/24 from the DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Disc player or the use of reverse telecine to remove the standard 3:2 pulldown. Some TVs (particularly plasma models) do 3:3 pulldown at 72 Hz or 4:4 at 96 Hz.[15] (for specific models, see list of displays that support pulldown at multiples of the original frame rate.) PAL countries speed the 24 fps film speed by 4% to obtain 25 fps, therefore movies in the PAL format are completely free of Telecine judder effects. As a result, 100 Hz televisions do not suffer from telecine judder as 120 Hz models do.
"Full HD" brand requires a 1080p resolution at 24Hz refresh rate. "HD Ready" doesn't. I had 32" Samsung LCD with "HD Ready" (720p) and it supported 50/60Hz only. My new 40" "Full HD" has 1080p and 24Hz.

DP
staticx Wrote:how can I find out what frequency my tv is broadcasting? (1080p@24/50/60)

If you in PAL land it's 50Hz, if you in NTSC land - it's 60Hz. It's never 24Hz. 24Hz is for 23.97fps material only (BD for example). I don't think any satellite broadcaster runs 1080p (bandwith can't be fit into one transponder). Usually it's 1080i or 720p.

DP
TheJaff2 Wrote:I don't know how many modern TVs' support true 24hz but for my recently bought plasma (Panasonic TH-50PX8) they made a marketing thing of it supporting 24hz-material. It's a 100Hz-tv which switches to 96Hz (24x4) when it is fed with a 24Hz-signal.

From wikipedia (article "HDTV blur"):

yeah, thanks. i guess this is a special feature for full hd tvs only.

even worse, i've rechecked the manual of my tv and found a passage telling me i'm not able to use a hdmi connection to send my pc-signal over to the tv. further it says it would likely freeze my tv and if i would however get a working signal it's not supported at all.

on the vga downside 1200x720 and 1360x768 resolutions are wxga supported, but at a fixed refresh rate of 60hz.

so i guess for me it's useless to watch this interesting thread any longer.
dpassent Wrote:"Full HD" brand requires a 1080p resolution at 24Hz refresh rate. "HD Ready" doesn't. I had 32" Samsung LCD with "HD Ready" (720p) and it supported 50/60Hz only. My new 40" "Full HD" has 1080p and 24Hz.

DP
...but "HD Ready" TVs might even so provide 24Hz-playback as the above mentioned TH-50PX8 does. But it only supports it with an input signal of 1920x1080, not at 1280x720 (which it then scales down or up respectively to 1366x768).
yes, they might, but it's not required for "HD Ready", it is required for "Full HD" tho...
dpassent Wrote:yes, they might, but it's not required for "HD Ready", it is required for "Full HD" tho...
Mister, you're now under the watchful eyes of the DRD Department of Redundancy Department.

Wink
azido Wrote:i have to stick to vga connection from pc to tv unless i get a hdmi cable. am i right that will stay at 60hz whatever i try to do? i thought i read that earlier in a console connection discussion-
No, you could be wrong. There is a good chance that you'll be able to create a custom resolution with 1366x768 pixels at 24, 48 or 72Hz. VGA input tends to be far more "open" in accepting non standard timings. You'll have to experiment to find the right values (or you can try to use Powerstrip that has an automated function to find all the different timings your screen could/should accept).
ashlar Wrote:Powerstrip that has an automated function to find all the different timings your screen could/should accept).

Where is it? I just tried to make 23.97Hz with Powerstrip on my LCD (never used it before) and failed miserably Smile

DP
dpassent Wrote:Where is it? I just tried to make 23.97Hz with Powerstrip on my LCD (never used it before) and failed miserably Smile
What videocard are you using?
ATI Radeon HD3200 (integrated with my mainboard)

DP
Ok, you have to add this to your pstrip.ini file:

[Global Options]
EnableSE=1

More information here: http://forums.entechtaiwan.com/viewtopic...sc&start=0

Edit: bear in mind that your monitor has to allow for the specific refresh rate you're aiming for. If you connect through VGA you are more likely to have a variety of options at your disposal.
It would be nice if everybody who is able to select their fullscreen/desktop resolution, in XBMC with alternative refresh rates, could post their XBMC version, Graphic card, and driver!

I have NVIDIA 7100 (driver 178.*), XBMC 16475. I can only see 1920x1080 @ (the refreshrate chosen in windows. No other.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
'Adjust refresh rate' now working for Windows0