Game and Video preview/intro (as thumbnail)
Letting you choose a very short video file as a thumbnail would be great..Currently only JPG,PNG and GIF seem to be supported.

Understandably having Video thumbnails might be a bit of a strain on the old Xbox.
Failing that, Support for the new format, animated PNG's. Animated GIFS are currently supported but your stuck with 8 bit colour.

Or FLASH objects as thumbnails might not take up to much processing power.

Batfink
I like the idea... It would be usefull for TV Shows to get a little bit of them...
If you want flash to happen you should do some legwork to find a simple and easy premade library that is xbox-friendly (no/few dependancies).

Having several video files playing is no due to several hardware/software design decisions. Maybe autogenerating animated gifs would be alright.
Asteron Wrote:If you want flash to happen you should do some legwork to find a simple and easy premade library that is xbox-friendly (no/few dependancies).

Flash is a little bit crazy (but implement gnash would be a good idea...), but have a little preview using MPlayer of the video files would be nice...
Lightbulb 
I'd love to see a Preview button in the file manager in Video and Music modes. If the Preview button was selected, the media or stream would automatically be played in "minimized mode" where video appears in a small window in the lower left corner of the screen.

Clicking the file would start playing it like normal.

While this may seem relatively useless for movies and most tv shows, it would be extremely cool for selecting channels on external tuners such as HDHomeRun (discussed in [url=href="http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=25099&page=1]this[/url] thread). HDHomeRun support was committed to SVN on [url=href="http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=132128&postcount=41]March 15th, 2007[/url] Big Grin
I think this is an excellent idea.

Perhaps this could be done per-source, similarly to the "Set Content" option, or maybe per file/folder.

How do the envisioned/existing TV features work? Because if they stream and fill a cache, like internet streams do, it'd take some seconds, but if it was near instant like media from smb is, then it's be fantastic for TV type features.

It could possibly be something that could alraedy be achievable via skin building "magic" or pyton coding?

I think i'd find it really irritating for music, although it can see it's usefulness for others.

Shorty
nice suggestion!
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
better still would be if skinners could place the video preview wherever they wanted, this would open up options like the preview being in the background or fading in to replace the traditional static thumbnail in media views.
any way to get this to work?
Anything is possible, the problem is finding a skilled enough developer with time and personal interest to work on this (same thing goes with any new or existing feature/function since we are a hobby project with eveyone working on XBMC doing it for free in their spare time).

PS! Many preview videos for games can be found here http://www.xbox-skins.net/forums/index.p...showcat=18
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Wink 
Gamester17 Wrote:Many preview videos for games can be found here http://www.xbox-skins.net/forums/index.p...showcat=18
Just to clearify, those videos I linked to are currently useless to all XBMC end-users as is, I only linked to them so that any developers who are potentially interested in this feature will have a source of video samples to use for development purposes.

@shizzle, shame on you for publicly calling yourself Swedish when your English is so bad when it's well known in the rest of the world that we Swedes are great at the English language, and now you come along and ruin that perception, hehe Rolleyes ...but seriously though, this is a English only forum, so stick to that even if you happen to be poor at English.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Hi Guys,

Just had a little idea.

When you go into Tv shows, and click on a show EG. Family Guy.
A video loop could be played in the background.
This video could have a certain name in the shows folder.
eg: TV/Family Guy/Preview.avi
Now, this video could be anything, for me, I would rip the certain vob off the family guy dvd where it plays the little dvd menu video when you are selecting episodes etc.
This would only be good in certain skins eg. Xtv.
Would just be cool having this little background video while selecting your season and episodes.
There even could be different preview vids for different seasons.

I see it wouldnt be too hard to implement, xbmc just searches for Preview.avi and plays it in a loop without going fullscreen, and stops it when user exits out of that show.

Just a thought, don't flame me :-D
It would make it more like you are using the DVD :-D

Thanks,

Stanley87
Can anyone think of a way to have a thumbnail video? Like you have a preveiw window in your video nav screen and when you highlight a file it plays a 5 second vid of that file? or even have it play a intro vid in the window ( like the intro to Family Guy) when you highlight the folder that has something like "preveiw.avi" file in the folder? Do you understand what I'm saying? Whouldn't that be freak'n awsome? Possible or no?
Since Gamester suggested I bump this as I would also like the preview video function. So, yeah, bump.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Game and Video preview/intro (as thumbnail)0