XBMC linux apt-get upgrade error
I installed XBMC by using the XBMC Live CD on my HTPC (not an xbox) Everything works great, however when I perform an sudo apt-get update then upgrade I get this error:

update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)

Processing triggers for libc6 ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-19-generic
touch: cannot touch `/boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-19-generic.new': No such file or directory
/usr/sbin/mkinitramfs: 279: cannot create : Directory nonexistent
update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-19-generic
dpkg: subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1

Any Ideas why? Please help.

Thanks.
Here another linux noob, I had the same problem,

I made a folder /boot

and run sudo dpkg --configure -a , that resolved the problem (atleast upgrade is working)
jimmah6786 Wrote:...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-19-generic
touch: cannot touch `/boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-19-generic.new': No such file or directory
/usr/sbin/mkinitramfs: 279: cannot create : Directory nonexistent
update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-19-generic

Any Ideas why?
The log pretty much explains it. It can't generate anything in /boot. If you do an ls /, you'll see that there is no /boot directory in your Live installation. I don't understand the reason for this myself, but in any case that's the way the Live distro was set up. Since apt-get upgrade assumes a standard ubuntu/debian filesystem layout, and Live doesn't use one, it doesn't know where to look for some files.

Creating the /boot directory seemed to work for Jobrovski... I'd be concerned about the long-term implications of that fix though. If the system isn't designed to use /boot, then will it ever make use of the files that apt-get upgrade puts there? No idea. Maybe someone with more knowledge about Live could answer.
Viewsonic N4285P, ASUS P5N7A-VM, Intel E8500, Mushkin PC28500 2x2GB, Antec Fusion Black 430, Logitech DiNovo Mini, Patriot X-Mini 8GB
Working: 1080p, hdmi audio
Partial: Logitech DiNovo Mini needs 'sudo rmmod usbhid;sudo modprobe usbhid' after boot to make cursor work
Not working: IMON display
Anyone have any idea if its ok to do this ?
NismoC32 Wrote:Anyone have any idea if its ok to do this ?

Guys,

XBMCLive uses Syslinux, isolinux and dist-upgrade etc is expecting to find Grub boot loader. You cannot upgrade Live with this method. Google syslinux kernel upgrades or grub and syslinux, it is not an easy task.

I was in the same boat as I could not get suspend to work or certain button functions on my Gyration. I built an XBMC latest ppa version yesterday via inetbootin and netinstall8.10 i386 with no GDM to build for the latest intrepid kernel and with some searching I have a working system with no gdm other than XBMC and suspend is 100% off in 25 seconds and on in less that 10, it is on faster than my only sony test monitor can warm up to the screen.

Dave

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC linux apt-get upgrade error1