XBMC linux apt-get upgrade error
I installed XBMC by using the XBMC Live CD on my HTPC (not an xbox) Everything works great, however when I perform an sudo apt-get update then upgrade I get this error:

update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)

Processing triggers for libc6 ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-19-generic
touch: cannot touch `/boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-19-generic.new': No such file or directory
/usr/sbin/mkinitramfs: 279: cannot create : Directory nonexistent
update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-19-generic
dpkg: subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1

Any Ideas why? Please help.

Thanks.
Here another linux noob, I had the same problem,

I made a folder /boot

and run sudo dpkg --configure -a , that resolved the problem (atleast upgrade is working)
jimmah6786 Wrote:...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-19-generic
touch: cannot touch `/boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-19-generic.new': No such file or directory
/usr/sbin/mkinitramfs: 279: cannot create : Directory nonexistent
update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-19-generic

Any Ideas why?
The log pretty much explains it. It can't generate anything in /boot. If you do an ls /, you'll see that there is no /boot directory in your Live installation. I don't understand the reason for this myself, but in any case that's the way the Live distro was set up. Since apt-get upgrade assumes a standard ubuntu/debian filesystem layout, and Live doesn't use one, it doesn't know where to look for some files.

Creating the /boot directory seemed to work for Jobrovski... I'd be concerned about the long-term implications of that fix though. If the system isn't designed to use /boot, then will it ever make use of the files that apt-get upgrade puts there? No idea. Maybe someone with more knowledge about Live could answer.
Viewsonic N4285P, ASUS P5N7A-VM, Intel E8500, Mushkin PC28500 2x2GB, Antec Fusion Black 430, Logitech DiNovo Mini, Patriot X-Mini 8GB
Working: 1080p, hdmi audio
Partial: Logitech DiNovo Mini needs 'sudo rmmod usbhid;sudo modprobe usbhid' after boot to make cursor work
Not working: IMON display
Anyone have any idea if its ok to do this ?
NismoC32 Wrote:Anyone have any idea if its ok to do this ?

Guys,

XBMCLive uses Syslinux, isolinux and dist-upgrade etc is expecting to find Grub boot loader. You cannot upgrade Live with this method. Google syslinux kernel upgrades or grub and syslinux, it is not an easy task.

I was in the same boat as I could not get suspend to work or certain button functions on my Gyration. I built an XBMC latest ppa version yesterday via inetbootin and netinstall8.10 i386 with no GDM to build for the latest intrepid kernel and with some searching I have a working system with no gdm other than XBMC and suspend is 100% off in 25 seconds and on in less that 10, it is on faster than my only sony test monitor can warm up to the screen.

Dave

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC linux apt-get upgrade error51
This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.