XBCD Controller (Xbox 360 controller) in XBMC Without Key Emulation
@djdafreund
I always assumed that it used the name in Game Controllers but it could very well use the name in device manager. If you haven't already tried it replace the alt name in the keymap.xml with that one. I'm not an expert on the subject, I was just the first person to start experimenting with it.
Yeah, i tried. I'm still going to mess around with things until i get it working though. Now then, since this isn't using anything special to work but the joystick and changing the keymap, and some recongfigured keys, THEORITICALLY it should work out of the box for Logitec Rumblepad 2's then, with some possible key changes. But otherwise SHOULD still work? I would of course PREFER to use my xbox controller for sure of course.
Oh brother!! So far I got it working, but not using any reasonable logic whatsoever. I want to post this until i am finished, so this can hopefully make sense to someone, or better a developer.

I noticed that after changing the "<altname>(joystick name)</altname>" to various different things (IE- 'XBCD Xbox Controller S' - Shown under "Game Controllers", 'XBCD XBox Gamepad' - Shown under 'Human Interface Devices' in Device Manager, 'XBox Gamepad' - Shown under "XBCD Setup Utility") it still didn't work at all, no buttons or sticks recognized by XBMC.

I then thought "Hmmm, lemme see if i can get my logitech joystick working since it doesn't seem to be anything special required other then name changing now." So I added the 1st thing to mind, which was "<altname>Logitech Cordless RumblePad 2</altname>" since under "Game Controllers" it was shown as 'Logitech Cordless RumblePad 2', and low and behold in XBMC my logitech joystick was working. Granted only a few buttons wered since nothing was mapped yet of course. But it WAS working, which was a good thing.

NOW the strange part!!! I tried my xbox controller for the hell of it, and it was working now ALSO!?!?!! Weird!! Now the top triggers nor the volum up/down (right stick) doesn't function, which i may just need to mess around some with the config, but everything else seems to correctly worked and mapped. So on to my next step of process of elimination-

I went back into my Keymap file, and tried changing the XBCD name to a few different choices, in hopes of tracking down the joystick name logic, and it was still working, even renaming it to "<altname>null</altname>" just for the time being, instead of removing those lines completely. (I have both logitech line's AND xbcd lines in my keymap file) and once in XBMC both joysticks were STILL working. Huh?? So, so far I technically only have the one line for my logitech.

Next, i went and renamed my logitec line's with something else, and neither joysticks worked anymore in XBMC. This is where i am at now, and will try to further test more. But this makes ZERO sense to me personally. My joystick name itself BTW is -'
<joystick name="Microsoft Xbox Controller S">' which i was told previously by a devpr that is doesn't matter what name that is, other then the name you want to give it for XBMC purposes. And also verified by changing the joystick name to Logitec Rumblepad 2 and it still of course worked.

Just now removed ALL extra <altname>'s but the 1 logitech one, and both joysticks still work. This doesn't make sense to me.
Enabling debug logging in the settings menu will save important information...

Like the name of the joystick being detected by XBMC on startup, as well as the button numbers detected when you push something.

All of this will be dumped to documents and settings/USERNAME/application data/XBMC/debug.log

This is the line you should look for for the joystick name:

http://pastebin.com/m6a08114c
Well, i was told before in another topic by a devpr that it only shows that joystick name because that's what i keyed in to the keymap file. I'll try it and see, i would really like to narrow this down to be helpfull to others.
djdafreund Wrote:Well, i was told before in another topic by a devpr that it only shows that joystick name because that's what i keyed in to the keymap file. I'll try it and see, i would really like to narrow this down to be helpfull to others.

Which keymap.xml file are you editing? There's one in the program files\xbmc\system folder that has default settings built into it.
There is only one keymap file on my machine, in the \xbmc\system folder. I am running XBMC using ""C:\Program Files (x86)\Xbmc\XBMC.exe" -fs -p" command.

Under my "C:\Users\djdafreund\AppData\Roaming\XBMC" directory i have the following-
<cache>
<UserData>
xbmc.log
xbmc.old.log

under <UserData> is
<Database>
<playlists>
<script_data>
<Thumbnails>
<visualisations>
favourites.xml
guisettings.xml
LCD.xml
mediasources.xml
profiles.xml
RssFeeds.xml
Scrobbler.xml
sources.xml
upnpserver.xml

I am using Vista 64 bit version btw. My debug setting is for sure on. BTW, this is VERY required for vista 32bit AND 64bit users since SP1, as thanks to Microsoft and there fun antics, have disabled Digital Driver disabling. Using the normal command-line even ran as Admin, does NOT work since SP1, and needs this program which perfectly disables digital driver signature. No negative side effects have been discovered after many experts testing.
http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=dseo is the utility. I thought i would post this since without using this, vista 32bit and 64bit users WILL NOT be able to use any found xbox drivers without getting the "!" mark next to the driver as Microsoft will block this from being installed.
djdafreund Wrote:There is only one keymap file on my machine, in the \xbmc\system folder. I am running XBMC using ""C:\Program Files (x86)\Xbmc\XBMC.exe" -fs -p" command.

Under my "C:\Users\djdafreund\AppData\Roaming\XBMC" directory i have the following-
<cache>
<UserData>
xbmc.log
xbmc.old.log

under <UserData> is
<Database>
<playlists>
<script_data>
<Thumbnails>
<visualisations>
favourites.xml
guisettings.xml
LCD.xml
mediasources.xml
profiles.xml
RssFeeds.xml
Scrobbler.xml
sources.xml
upnpserver.xml

I am using Vista 64 bit version btw. My debug setting is for sure on. BTW, this is VERY required for vista 32bit AND 64bit users since SP1, as thanks to Microsoft and there fun antics, have disabled Digital Driver disabling. Using the normal command-line even ran as Admin, does NOT work since SP1, and needs this program which perfectly disables digital driver signature. No negative side effects have been discovered after many experts testing.
http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=dseo is the utility. I thought i would post this since without using this, vista 32bit and 64bit users WILL NOT be able to use any found xbox drivers without getting the "!" mark next to the driver as Microsoft will block this from being installed.

Sorry for the long delay. I'm not using Vista, so I can't test this, but doesn't that version of XBCD you linked to come with a certificate for the signature? Edit:

From download link - "x64 driver is test signed, those on Vista x64 can you try this version... "

Maybe it's because the sig. file you're generating with that app is generic? IDK...I'm having problems with two controllers being hooked up ATM...
No, the app doesn't need to generate. The certificate is all the is actually needed. I tried both way initially using 2 different systems. But even though your using the certificate, you still need to be in 'test' mode or the driver still doesn't work, which i know, is stupid since you even have a signed certificate. Really dumb that we should have to ever DO any of this considering it's microsoft's OWN joystick and should have one already that is signed. It's not like that have to pay themeselves to auth. the usage. I kind of gave up on this for now to finish other projects i am working on. It's working good enough for now with some re-mappings.
I've searched the forums and Google on this topic, but have yet to find an answer. I've installed XBCD, pointed it at the .xgi file from the first post, and have updated my keymap.xml. Using a wired Xbox Controller-S.

The controller is recognized and most functions work in XBMC just as they would when used with XBMC on an Xbox. The exception is DVD ISO files -- I'm unable to navigate the DVD menus using the d-pad. What do I need to change to make this work?
Worked perfectly for me on Windows Service Pack 3

Thanks!
Any suggestions on getting DVD menu navigation working with the XBox controller? Is this working for anyone?
skriefal Wrote:Any suggestions on getting DVD menu navigation working with the XBox controller? Is this working for anyone?

I would love to get this working, tried putting in a dvd today and could navigate through it but couldn't get to the menu
I'm fairly new to tweaking XBMC (as it just ran out of the box on my xbox).. I'm really not sure how to point XBMC at the .xgi file provided above. I've created a new profile in XBMC and goofed around with the config files that reference it, but so far I've yet to see where/how I point it to that file.

I've got my XBOX controller modded (shuted in a USB cable) and it works fine in the XBCD config tool, it even sort of works in XBMC, but the keymaping is completely wrong.

I've already added the appropriate alias for the controller to the keymap xml/config file.
Anyone ever manage to get the dvd menu working? I've played around with it a bit, but so far haven't managed to get it functional Sad Also the trigger buttons don't seem to work exactly as they did on the xbox, mine fast forward or rewind when "held in" on the xbox. In xbmc for windows though, when you release the button it continues to ff or rw, and you have to press the play/pause button for it to stop ffwding/rewinding. Anyone else experiencing this, or know how to fix it? Besides that everything else is 100% Smile

Edit: Am running XBMC_for_Windows-9.04.1-repack2 on Windows 7 RC x64, and using XBCD_Installer_0.2.6 with the xbcd360_0.2.5.2_vista_64 drivers.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBCD Controller (Xbox 360 controller) in XBMC Without Key Emulation2