RF MCE X10 Remote Model OR22V - Setup for xbmc with Intelliremote
i think it's time to share some info with you guys, thus giving something back to ppl that helped me out here..

I've bought the above remote some time ago and i'm very happy with it. it's very cheap (about $8-10 on ebay) and works perfectly in combination with melloware's intelliremote (registered version). a little overview:

Remote OR22V: Frequency: 433.92 MHz RF
Output: <10mW RF
Range: 10m free field
Size: 190 x 45 x 20 mm
Number of Keys: 45
Receiver: CM23E as USB-Stick
Frequency: 433.92MHz
Operating voltage: USB + 5V
Operating current: <20mA
S3 Standby mode current: <1mA
Sensity: 1002dBm

i'm using this under vista x64, it has been reported to work under xp and win2000, too.. drivers can be found here: xp and vista

i'm sure you can use it with girder or eventghost, too - but i found it super easy to set up for xbmc needs and many other programs with intelliremote.

so, if you don't have an remote yet, and planning to spend about $30 (remote and registering intelliremote) and want to get one that works with xbmc and/or other programs, you should give it a try Smile

if you already own it, and want to set it up with intelliremote, here is how i did it:

this is the configuration profile for intelliremote: RF-MCE Remote OR22V-xbmc.xml

note: in order to get those keys marked with (*) working, you need to add the following lines to the <keyboard> section of your Keymap.xml (around line #178):

Code:
<a>ActivateWindow(videolibrary,tvshowtitles)</a>
      <b>ActivateWindow(musiclibrary)</b>
      <e>ActivateWindow(Home)</e>
      <g>ActivateWindow(videolibrary,movietitles)</g>
      <h>delete</h>
      <j>ActivateWindow(filemanager)</j>
      <k>ActivateWindow(scripts)</k>
      <l>ActivateWindow(programs)</l>
      <n>moveitemup</n>
      <t>moveitemdown</t>
      <u>aspectratio</u>
      <y>ActivateWindow(MyPictures)</y>
      <f1>copy</f1>
      <f2>move</f2>
      <f3>rename</f3>
      <f4>highlight</f4>
known issues:

system:

problem: any key pressed on remote seem to trigger multiple (double/triple) actions, i.e. "1" sends "111" and pressing "Power" sets PC in standby mode.

solution: along with your x10-driver there is another configuration icon labelled "remote" set up in your system configuration.
use it to change the listening behaviour of the receiver from "listen to all channels" to something other than "1" (which is the channel your remote sends data). that way the system does not recognize incoming signals from your remote, but intelliremote still does (due to x10-protocol).

problem: it still triggers double actions, "1" sends "11".

solution: here is a workaround from intelliremote forums. you've got to disable certain registry settings and/or disable the HID listening service for your system so it won't interpret incoming HID signals from your remote anymore. seems like x10 remotes send both HID AND X10 signals.

Quote:STEP 1
Load "regedit.exe" and navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\HidIr\Remotes\745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da
Then delete the keys from "CodeSetNum0" to "CodeSetNum3".
To make sure you can recover these keys easily should you want to you should save them by using the export function in the file menu.
Once the registry has been changed you will need to reboot for the change to take effect.
This same process can be applied to disable automatic keyboard handling. Just look at the other registry sections under the "Remotes" sections.
Now if you ever want to re-enable the automatic handling of the MCE Remote and MCE Keyboard you just need to put those registry keys back.

STEP 2
Go to Control Panel->Aministration->Services
DISABLE the HID Input Service on XP or the Human Interface Device Access service on Vista
intelliremote:

problem: there is high cpu load when i start intelliremote. also i see several duplicate HID-Devices listed as USB Devices.

solution: this is driver related, not an intelliremote problem. if you check your hardware devices manager after installing the x10-driver, you'll notice there are several identical USB-HID devices listed to be installed where there should be only one. never mind - we only need the X10 protocol for our needs. this will fix the high load:

1. Edit the registry
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Melloware\Intelliremote\IgnoreDevices
2. For the IgnoreDevices key enter the text in quotes exactly like this "X10 MCE Remote" make SURE it is in double quotes.

xbmc:

problem: when accessing the virtual keyboard in xbmc (trying to rename something, change name for scraping etc..) i cannot get the focus on the keys and i'm not able to move around inside the keyboard window with my arrow keys and cannot select buttons with OK there.

solution: this is because the way i programmed the remote. it acts as a keyboard instead of sending specific codes another remote might send.
get an xbmc rev >= 16444 and use this -yet undocumented in wiki- setting in
advancedsettings.xml:

Code:
<navigatevirtualkeyboard>true</navigatevirtualkeyboard>
this will enable moving around in the virtual keyboard with the arrow keys and use the OK button to select keys.

edit: if you are not sure where to put advancedsettings.xml, read this.

.. Rolleyes ok, hopefully i posted all i've discovered with the above remote and it's configuration, and that it might be useful for one or other guys planning to buy a remote that is cheap and works with xbmc.

feel free to add questions you come along with it and i'll try to sort things out.
cheers,azido :;):
Hi!

First of all, I wanted to thank you for that tutorial. Eventhough my friend and I used eventghost, it really helped us.

However, we are having the following problem you mentionned:
"when accessing the virtual keyboard in xbmc (trying to rename something, change name for scraping etc..) i cannot get the focus on the keys and i'm not able to move around inside the keyboard window with my arrow keys and cannot select buttons with OK there."

I'm at work so I can't try now but (just to be sure I understood), I have to take the advancedsettings.xml (where is it located? in the xbmc file?), open it and just add "<navigatevirtualkeyboard>true</navigatevirtualkeyboard>" inside?

Sorry I've always sucked in what's close or far to programming ;-).

While I'm at it, we have also not been able to get the (*) keys to work. Any idea how we could do it under eventghost?

Another thing: have you ever had problems with the remote? We bought two online and we both have some kind of "freeze" problems. Like if the remote wasn't responding for 10seconds. I contacted the site I bought it from. I'll see what they say...

Thanks for your help!

PS: I can add the file if anybody is interested.
I am using a Gyration MCE remote and have the same issue with the virtual keyboard. I have tried the suggested advancedsettings.xml addition, but this does not work. I am currently using the XBMCSetup-Rev16859-jester.exe build (thanks Jester).

This is the only entry I have in the XML file as everything else is working very well, so any help would be appreciated.
So what? You just created a XML file with <navigatevirtualkeyboard>true</navigatevirtualkeyboard> ? Where did you put it?
I placed in c:\Richard\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\advancedsettings.xml
Fixed it. I did not top and tail the settings file with <advancedsettings>
</advancedsettings>
I tried that and it's still not working?

I'll keep on looking I guess Oo
yo guys,

sorry for the delay in answering, i was on holiday for some weeks and had other interest afterwards, so this is the first day i checked back here.

ok.. the Advancedsettings.xml has to be put into your appdata/roaming/xbmc/userdata dir (not the program dir itself!) in order to get recognized. if there isn't one (which is the default state when you've just installed xbmc without any further modifications) just create a simple text file and name it Advancedsettings.xml. afterwards, use your favorite simple text editor and put this inside:

Code:
<advancedsettings>

</advancedsettings>

restart your xbmc and you should be done.
note: make sure your xbmc svn revision is 16444 or higher since this is where they've implemented this setting. trying this on atlantis or any version below 16444 will fail.

also note: this handles the aspect that your remotes sent codes are interpreted by eventghost and translated to keystrokes before they arrive at xbmc. in that case xbmc simply does a lookup into keymap.xml to see if that keystroke is bound to something. if eventghost translates to something else, this might not work at all.

@Lailendil
Quote:Another thing: have you ever had problems with the remote? We bought two online and we both have some kind of "freeze" problems. Like if the remote wasn't responding for 10seconds. I contacted the site I bought it from. I'll see what they say...

no, not at all. sometimes, if xbmc is idle in any of it's windows for a while, i have to repeat a keystroke before it gets recognized, but beside this it works like a charm. some kind of freezing here on my side applies when one of my external harddrives went into sleep mode and i try to access a movie from there, but that is normal (drive needs to spin up) and surely has nothing to do with the remote. maybe use new batteries?

Quote:While I'm at it, we have also not been able to get the (*) keys to work. Any idea how we could do it under eventghost?

did you add the suggested entries into keymap.xml?

i know nothing when it comes to eventghost, sorry. in intelliremote, everything that can't be covered by just assigning a key to a keypress on the remote can be done by using the AutoIt-script language which i had to use a lot. once you figured to send the correct values to xbmc from eventghost, it should correspond to the additional lines in keymap.xml with no problem. if not, eventghost either doesn't send the appropriate output which matches the entries or you've maybe put those lines in the wrong section. remember the right section starts around line 178 in keymap.xml.

good luck.
I'll give it a shot tonight. My mistake might have been the way i typed the xml file: "advanced settings.xml" instead of "advancedsettings.xml". No idea if that might be the reason its not working.

Quote:note: make sure your xbmc svn revision is 16444 or higher since this is where they've implemented this setting. trying this on atlantis or any version below 16444 will fail.

I'm a total noob so I don't know what "xbmc svn revision" is. Where can I check the version I have? :O

Quote:maybe use new batteries?

Yeah i tought about that too afterwards Tongue. I'll give it a try.

Thx for your help!
OK I checked and I've Atlantis 8.10. But my SVN is "Unknown"?! What am I supposed to do?
Lailendil Wrote:OK I checked and I've Atlantis 8.10. But my SVN is "Unknown"?! What am I supposed to do?
Check here for latest builds: http://ocs.nl/xbmc
same problem here, using a recent version of XBMC on XP
advancedsettings.xml was created in docs and settings/user/application data/xbmc/userdata
i have 2 options in there, <advancedsettings>
<displayremotecodes>true</displayremotecodes>
</advancedsettings>

neither option seems to be working - i am going to try and copy the file to other places and see if i have better luck
Lailendil Wrote:OK I checked and I've Atlantis 8.10. But my SVN is "Unknown"?! What am I supposed to do?

once again, sorry for the delay. i don't spend that much time here in this forum these days.

ok. chances are you have quite an old version of xbmc. check this thread for precompiled actual versions of xbmc for windows (which are called "svn-versions"). you'll see postings telling you i.e. "uploaded 18524" and a download link.

what i told you was you need a version with an equal or higher number than 16444 from those downloads, else you won't have the implementation inside xbmc that understands the navigatevirtualkeyboard command.
neo117 Wrote:same problem here, using a recent version of XBMC on XP
advancedsettings.xml was created in docs and settings/user/application data/xbmc/userdata
i have 2 options in there, <advancedsettings>
<displayremotecodes>true</displayremotecodes>
</advancedsettings>

neither option seems to be working - i am going to try and copy the file to other places and see if i have better luck

the position should be okay. the best way to check if your advancedsettings.xml is recognised by xbmc is to fire it up, exit it again and check the logfile for an entry like this:

Code:
00:32:55 T:7044 M:1791586304  NOTICE: Loaded advancedsettings.xml from C:\Users\azido\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\advancedsettings.xml

it should appear in the first quarter of your logfile.

i'm not sure yet, but on recent versions some positions have changed, especially userdata. i'm still with an older version so it works for me. i'll put a recent one up these days and check.

and btw: <displayremotecodes> did never work for me.
Isn't it possible to get this function via just a regfile and some XBMC keyboard.xml ?

If intelliremote uses loads of cpu and such I certainyl do not wan't to put that on my slow Atom based ION-system.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
RF MCE X10 Remote Model OR22V - Setup for xbmc with Intelliremote0