XBMC + OLEDs with GraphLCD?
Hello,

I'm just about to discover that LCDs could be indeed a nice addition to XBMC. I have never played around with them, but my new case has an OLED at 256x24 pixels, and I was wondering if I could get XBMC make use of it.

It's not a text-display but a graphical one (as far as I understand there is a basic difference how the result is rendered). I noticed that the VDR-Project already has a plugin which nicely displays additional onscreen-info using the GraphLCD project.

Does anyone have experience with that? Does there maybe exist a kind of wrapper that plugs into lcdproc and renders XBMC's LCD-output on the graphical display?

Sorry I'm using a completely wrong vocabulary for these things, I'm pretty new to this.
Running XBMC on my HTPC, tablet, phone and pinball machine.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forums before posting. Do NOT e-mail Team-XBMC members asking for support. For troubleshooting and bug reporting, make sure you read this first.
I have thought about this a lot. I had this old cell phone lcd I thought would be perfect to display a movie poster for the movie I was watching. That project is miles over my head though so nothing came of it. I think we would have to get one piece of easy to find hardware and get that working and move on from there. Maybe one of those digital pecture frames would work. Then it could display the movie poster and show a bar and timer of how much you have watched.
ﻪﻥﻋﺸﻷﻜﻈﭚ
AFAIK lcdproc only handles character displays. I don't think there's any generic library for graphic displays.
yes there is oner i now of http://mylcd.sourceforge.net/
Patch welcome.
ok, so i dug a little further, and in one line, this is my plan:

xbmc -> lcdproc -> graphlcd -> serdisplib -> my display

lcdproc has indeed a driver for graphlcd, which has support for a bunch of generic displays. serdisplib on the otherhand is a library supporting additional display types. i'm currently developing a driver for my display for the serdisplib, which can be hooked into graphlcd as one of its drivers.

once i get this working i'll maybe have a look how i could make xbmc output something other than text only to the display, like a progress bar for movies, eventually a poster etc. graphlcd seems to be the standard way to go, and the vdr project is supporting it too, as mentioned above.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forums before posting. Do NOT e-mail Team-XBMC members asking for support. For troubleshooting and bug reporting, make sure you read this first.
actually i skipped the graphlcd part and used a patch for lcdproc that renders the output using freetype and sends the result directly over serdisplib to the display. it's working quite nicely actually.

now the next step would be to adapt vdr-graphlcd for xbmc. are there any xbmc users with a graphical display out there anyway?
I currently use vdr-graphlcd on my linux-box.
I really would love to use graphlcd with xbmc on the same box.

I have a SDC Megtron display and it works with graphlcd and the serdisp driver.
i use also vdr-graphlcd on my gentoo box
and i use the branch pvr-testing2 to test

my display is an Alphacool 240x128 (works through serdisplib with graphlcd)
freezy Wrote:actually i skipped the graphlcd part and used a patch for lcdproc that renders the output using freetype and sends the result directly over serdisplib to the display. it's working quite nicely actually.

now the next step would be to adapt vdr-graphlcd for xbmc. are there any xbmc users with a graphical display out there anyway?

Hi Freezy, I'm stuck with serdisplib and lcdproc. I compiled serdisplib 1.97.9 who correctly drives my LCD. Then I patched lcdproc 0.5.2 but lcdproc won't compile serdisplib driver, it's not listed after the configure script.

I'm running ubuntu 10.04. Any hints ?

Thanks Smile

Romain

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC + OLEDs with GraphLCD?0