Color Space Problems / Queries
With XBMC Live the picture is significantly better but I have one issue, I can't get the sound over HDMI. My HTPC is connected directly to my plasma TV and under Windows the sound works without any changes in settings. With Live I tried every combination of the sound settings with XBMC but no succes.
Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD4, Intel i5-750, Nvidia GT220, TV Panasonic P42V10E plasma, A/V Sony DAV-DZ810W
pilluli Wrote:Correct me if I am wrong but I think "enable color studio" option (or something like this) should do the 16-235 colorspace. Only enabled in vdpau though...

The VDPAU option works nicely for video playback, but doesn't help with the GUI and Visualizations. Esspecially the Confluence main navigation is a b it hard to see when running with a video level HDMI display device.

I just replaced an older Samsung Plasma in my living room which could do video level HDMI only with a new Panasonic Viera TX-P42S10ES -- and just found out that it also lacks a full range sRGB setting. All newer Samsung LCDs which I've seen do have this option, though.

A "XBMC wide" color space option would definitely rule...

Best Regards,
Olli
owagner Wrote:The VDPAU option works nicely for video playback, but doesn't help with the GUI and Visualizations.

A "XBMC wide" color space option would definitely rule...

I agree.
Colorspace option is needed for the User interface settings!
Any updates for this issue?
Yes a color space option would be very nice imo, esp since xbmc is mostly used for playing videos and pretty much all videos are created with a color space from 16-235.
There IS a color space option for videos. It just doesn't apply to the UI.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:There IS a color space option for videos. It just doesn't apply to the UI.

I must have missed that or do you mean the VDPAU studio color option ? I have intel gfx so can't use that.
Well the thing is. I pretty much see this as a driver issue. Since we are outputting RGB fullrange which is what the rest of windows is also displaying.

So your video drivers should not assume this is some limited range colors. If you are on nvidia, just switch the colorspace in the driver settings. If you switch that it usually ends up right.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

elupus Wrote:Well the thing is. I pretty much see this as a driver issue. Since we are outputting RGB fullrange which is what the rest of windows is also displaying.

So your video drivers should not assume this is some limited range colors. If you are on nvidia, just switch the colorspace in the driver settings. If you switch that it usually ends up right.

This is the Linux part of the forum so no windows here Smile

I'm not using nvidia, intel does have an option in the man page, BROADCAST_RGB, but Xorg says it is not using it when I set it in xorg.conf and xrandr gives an error when trying to set it.

I agree that it's something that is/should be handled in the driver, it would be convenient to be able to change it in XBMC though.
elupus Wrote:Well the thing is. I pretty much see this as a driver issue. Since we are outputting RGB fullrange which is what the rest of windows is also displaying.

In Linux there is no option in the NVidia driver to output Studio Levels.
UI and pictures are looking ugly (Rolleyes) on my Panasonic Plasma.

Is there any developer working on a solution for this?
bumb
Got a NVidia 8200 (motherboard chipset) running XBMC Live connected to a Pioneer 5090 via HDMI. Shadow detail is pretty much non-existent even with VDPAU colour space set, and there is a certain amount of white crush. Looks like contrast is set too high.
The new Nvidia drivers (260.19.04 beta) should solve this problem:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-displ...river.html

I Know nothing about Linux, can someone tell me step by step how to update to this NVidia driver and how to enable studio levels (limited rgb)?

Quote:Added ColorSpace and ColorRange features for HDMI. These give the ability to output YUV over HDMI and select full/reduced color range on RGB over HDMI. ColorSpace and ColorRange are X Configuration options and can be changed dynamically through nvidia-settings.
athloni Wrote:The new Nvidia drivers (260.19.04 beta) should this problem:
It doesn't really do anything, at least for me.
Option "ColorRange" "Limited" in the xorg.conf makes the black pretty much washed out and [COLOR="black"]"Full"[/COLOR] or nothing at all makes everything pretty much dark. Increasing the brightness to ~56 makes things lot better that shouldn't be the way of doing it. Anyone got any better idea? Cheers!!
MINIX NEO U22-XJ | Denon AVC-X3800H | KEF Q750 | KEF Q250c | KEF Q150 | KEF Q50a | KEF Kube 10 MIE | LG OLED65G16LA | CoreELEC
MacUsers Wrote:It doesn't really do anything, at least for me.
Option "ColorRange" "Limited" in the xorg.conf makes the black pretty much washed out and [COLOR="black"]"Full"[/COLOR] or nothing at all makes everything pretty much dark.

Can you please tell me how to upgrade the Nvidia driver and how I change the settings to Limited?

I'm using Live Beta2 and a complete Linux noob Sad

I have putty installed on my Windows PC.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Color Space Problems / Queries0