• 3(current)
XBMC Live on ASUS P5N7A-VM complete guide
harryzimm Wrote:Very Nice guide olympia.

If you want more space on the root partition download gparted live cd. It can resize the partitions created by the xbmc live installer. I made my sda1 partition 3.5gb larger and replaced the ext3fs.img with a larger one. You have have to manually make it bootable again by running syslinux.exe in windows but thats no problem. Bare in mind all changes made in the current ext3fs.img will be erased. I've only tested this with a hd install not flash drive.

To make a larger ext3fs.img in linux.
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=ext3fs.img bs=1M count=3500
mkfs.ext3 ext3fs.img -F
You can replace count= 3500 to whatever size although the sda1 partition is formatted in fat32 so i think it has a 4gb size limit(could be wrong about this).

cheers

Quote:The confusion about FAT file size seems to stem from the fact that FAT16 has a 4GB limit on partition size, whereas FAT32 has a 2TB limit on partition size.

There is a 4GB FILE SIZE limit.. close tho Smile
Hey, I just bought this mobo and this guide helped me out a lot!!

I was a little confused at first when all my movies sounded like static, but it turns out my TV doesn't have DTS or Dolby decoding (duh). A note to others, turn it off in Settings > Audio Hardware

What are CPU Scaling and auto-refresh supposed to solve?
I skipped those steps until I understood what they'd do

On a possibly related note, I've noticed that all my videos play jagged and jerky... anyone else had this problem?
I'm using an E8400 CPU (as recommended by many on this board), so I was hoping for flawless 1080p playback.

*edit* To clarify, I'm not dropping frames... the info display thing says only 5 frames dropped...
Is it related to the CPU Scaling or auto-refresh steps I skipped?
Okay, so I read a few other threads, it sounds like what I'm experiencing is stutter/jitter. I haven't found any solution that helps my situation, but I'll keep trying other suggetions as well.
First of all, I <3 OLYMPIA for making this guide. I really appreciate it. The P5N7A-VM is a great motherboard.

Second, I wanted to pass on some info that allowed me to get navigation sounds working over HDMI. Simply create a file in your $HOME directory name .asoundrc and put
Quote:pcm.!default hdmi
in it and save. Then, make sure the audio passthrough device and passthrough device are set to hdmi in xbmc.

My last outstanding issue is when I start to play a video, there is no sound for the first few seconds and then it starts playing. The video then 'slows' until the audio catches up. Anyone know what would cause this or how to fix it? I have alsa 1.0.19 installed.
Guys I need your help BIG TIME!!!!

I've been trying to setup xbmc for the last 2 days and I am having the same issue.

My first try was using intrepid: I followed Olympia's guide in the linux section, everything was perfect until i started looking at the frames dropping like crazy when connected my htpc to the tv, although there was no obvious lags or stuttering (note i was doing the install using a regular flat panel monitor so didn't notice that it only happend with the tv connected)

This morning I tested the live CD on my monitor and there was no drops whatsoever, so I thought maybe it has to do with the known intrepid bug, so I decided to switch to xbmc live

I just finished installing live on my hdd, using the monitor everything was perfect, no drops, only 4 frames at the beginning of the "killa sample", so I thought it is perfect, however, once I hooked it up to the tv, the joy was vanished, I got the same drops that i experienced last night.

Any ideas?
could it be that I have the wrong xorg.conf and the tv refresh rate is not matching? I have tried the auto refresh and the vsync option, but no difference.

or

could that the motherboard is not efficient when hdmi is used, but i doubt cause it does not make sense

Here is my setup:

CPU INTEL|C2D E8400 3G 775 45N R - Retail
MEM 2GX2|A-DATA ADQVE1B16K R - Retail
MB GIGABYTE GA-E7AUM-DS2H 9400 RT - Retail
DVD BURN LG|GH22NS30 22X SATA % - OEM
CASE ANTEC|NSK2480 BK/SIL RT - Retail

TV
plasma panasonic 50pz700u

I tested with the livecd xorg.conf and the one listed in the 3rd post

I tried with/without auto refresh and vsync

Please please tell me you know how to fix it.

Next step I am going to upgrade the bio

Thanks
quick update,
I was playing with different resolutions and I noticed the following under system info

1920X1080@6000hz (Full Screen) 29.97Hz

the 29.9 is going up to 30 and down to 29.95

so I started playing with different resolutions, and noticed that if I use 720 I get real 60HZ and the movies didn't drop a frame, however it didn't fill up the screen

then I switched to 1920X1080 and (for one try cause I wasn't able to repro) it was sending real 60HZ and the movie was playing with no drops

but after I rebooted I am back to

1920X1080@6000hz (Full Screen) 29.97Hz

any ideas?

so it looks like it's a matter of configuring the xorg and setting the righ resolution, but I have no idea how to proceed, any suggestion

thanks
So I was reading through the instructions again and it occurred to me... should we be exporting the SVN code instead of checking out? There's an arguable difference, but the thing I like about it is that it doesn't create all the hidden .svn stuff.

I just tried it again with svn export https://xbmc.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot...xport/XBMC and it seems fine (if not slightly more efficient).
Just a thought... thanks again for the great thread!
MadCowDzz Wrote:So I was reading through the instructions again and it occurred to me... should we be exporting the SVN code instead of checking out? There's an arguable difference, but the thing I like about it is that it doesn't create all the hidden .svn stuff.

I just tried it again with svn export https://xbmc.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot...xport/XBMC and it seems fine (if not slightly more efficient).
Just a thought... thanks again for the great thread!

IIRC, if you export then you can't update, you have to re-export. So that's a huge waste of bandwidth (and time) every time you want to recompile a new version if you export instead of checkout
hmm... my audio seems to have stopped working...

Under settings, the audio output device was set to "default", and passthrough device is set to "default"... I realize these are wrong, as per the original guide... but when I set them both to "hdmi" I get the message "Failed to initialize audio device" on the screen. I had this message once before when the svn was broken, but I had upgraded to 17794 and things were fixed.

I have no clue what broke it again.

I'm not sure if I should create a separate thread for this...
Here's my log: http://pastebin.com/m2f0607e4

Oh, I've checked alsamixer, and the three things aren't muted.
Okay, so I was tired of fiddling with my broken installation before (uh, ignore the post right above this one)... and now I'm re-installing from scratch.

I'm stuck on the initial apt-get update step. I try to move on to build the NVIDIA drivers, but obviously it fails.

Any ideas?

Code:
[b](T: XBMCLiveCD)xbmc@XBMCLive:/mnt/install$ sudo apt-get install make g++-4.1 gcc-4.1 libsdl1.2-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-gfx1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libsdl-sound1.2-dev libsdl-stretch-dev libfribidi0 libfribidi-dev liblzo1 liblzo-dev libfreetype6 libfreetype6-dev libsqlite3-0 libsqlite3-dev libogg-dev libasound2-dev python-sqlite libglew1.5 libglew1.5-dev libcurl3-dev g++ gawk x11proto-xinerama-dev libxinerama-dev libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev pmount libmad0-dev libtre-dev libogg-dev libvorbis-dev libmysqlclient15-dev libhal1 libhal-dev libhal-storage1 libhal-storage-dev libpcre3-dev subversion libjasper-dev libjasper1 libfontconfig-dev libbz2-dev libboost-dev libtool nasm libfaac-dev libenca-dev automake cmake libxt-dev libxmu-dev gperf unzip libpng12-dev libjpeg62-dev bison libpulse-dev wget build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r`[/b]
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree      
Reading state information... Done
libfribidi0 is already the newest version.
liblzo1 is already the newest version.
liblzo1 set to manually installed.
libfreetype6 is already the newest version.
libfreetype6 set to manually installed.
libsqlite3-0 is already the newest version.
python-sqlite is already the newest version.
python-sqlite set to manually installed.
libglew1.5 is already the newest version.
libglew1.5 set to manually installed.
Package libcurl3-dev is a virtual package provided by:
  libcurl4-openssl-dev 7.18.0-1ubuntu2.1
You should explicitly select one to install.
E: Package libcurl3-dev has no installation candidate
MadCowDzz Wrote:Okay, so I was tired of fiddling with my broken installation before (uh, ignore the post right above this one)... and now I'm re-installing from scratch.

I'm stuck on the initial apt-get update step. I try to move on to build the NVIDIA drivers, but obviously it fails.

Any ideas?

Code:
[b](T: XBMCLiveCD)xbmc@XBMCLive:/mnt/install$ sudo apt-get install make g++-4.1 gcc-4.1 libsdl1.2-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-gfx1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libsdl-sound1.2-dev libsdl-stretch-dev libfribidi0 libfribidi-dev liblzo1 liblzo-dev libfreetype6 libfreetype6-dev libsqlite3-0 libsqlite3-dev libogg-dev libasound2-dev python-sqlite libglew1.5 libglew1.5-dev libcurl3-dev g++ gawk x11proto-xinerama-dev libxinerama-dev libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev pmount libmad0-dev libtre-dev libogg-dev libvorbis-dev libmysqlclient15-dev libhal1 libhal-dev libhal-storage1 libhal-storage-dev libpcre3-dev subversion libjasper-dev libjasper1 libfontconfig-dev libbz2-dev libboost-dev libtool nasm libfaac-dev libenca-dev automake cmake libxt-dev libxmu-dev gperf unzip libpng12-dev libjpeg62-dev bison libpulse-dev wget build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r`[/b]
Building dependency tree      
libfribidi0 is already the newest version.
liblzo1 is already the newest version.
liblzo1 set to manually installed.
libfreetype6 is already the newest version.
libfreetype6 set to manually installed.
libsqlite3-0 is already the newest version.
libglew1.5 is already the newest version.
libglew1.5 set to manually installed.
Package libcurl3-dev is a virtual package provided by:
  libcurl4-openssl-dev 7.18.0-1ubuntu2.1
E: Package libcurl3-dev has no installation candidate

which live version are you working with?
olympia Wrote:which live version are you working with?

I assumed the latest one... I just downloaded a new Live disc yesterday.

The info screen says "XBMC 8.10 SVN: Unknown (Compiled : Nov 13 2008)"
MadCowDzz Wrote:I assumed the latest one... I just downloaded a new Live disc yesterday.

The info screen says "XBMC 8.10 SVN: Unknown (Compiled : Nov 13 2008)"

try this:

Code:
sudo apt-get install -y subversion make g++ gcc gawk pmount libtool nasm automake cmake gperf unzip bison libsdl1.2-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-gfx1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libsdl-sound1.2-dev libsdl-stretch-dev libfribidi-dev liblzo-dev libfreetype6-dev libsqlite3-dev libogg-dev libasound-dev python-sqlite libglew-dev libcurl4-gnutls-dev x11proto-xinerama-dev libxinerama-dev libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev libmad0-dev libtre-dev libogg-dev libvorbis-dev libmysqlclient15-dev libpcre3-dev libdbus-1-dev libhal-dev libhal-storage-dev libjasper-dev libfontconfig-dev libbz2-dev libboost-dev libfaac-dev libenca-dev libxt-dev libxmu-dev libpng-dev libjpeg-dev libpulse-dev mesa-utils wget zip curl build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r`
Hi

This is my first post so take it easy.

I've been having a similar problem when trying to compile XBMC for the live distros and also the full Intrepid distro. I got round it for the full Intrepid by adding the svn ppa to my sources in the package manager and then doing a "sudo apt-get build-dep xbmc" at the command line. This then let me compile the VDPAU version of Xbmc without errors. The problem I now have with the mini Intrepid distro is that I don't know how to add the svn ppa source to the package manager from the command line.

Hope this is of some help.
olympia Wrote:try this:

Code:
sudo apt-get install -y subversion make g++ gcc gawk pmount libtool nasm automake cmake gperf unzip bison libsdl1.2-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-gfx1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libsdl-sound1.2-dev libsdl-stretch-dev libfribidi-dev liblzo-dev libfreetype6-dev libsqlite3-dev libogg-dev libasound-dev python-sqlite libglew-dev libcurl4-gnutls-dev x11proto-xinerama-dev libxinerama-dev libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev libmad0-dev libtre-dev libogg-dev libvorbis-dev libmysqlclient15-dev libpcre3-dev libdbus-1-dev libhal-dev libhal-storage-dev libjasper-dev libfontconfig-dev libbz2-dev libboost-dev libfaac-dev libenca-dev libxt-dev libxmu-dev libpng-dev libjpeg-dev libpulse-dev mesa-utils wget zip curl build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r`

Didn't work... here's the output:

Building dependency tree
gawk is already the newest version.
gawk set to manually installed.
pmount is already the newest version.
pmount set to manually installed.
unzip is already the newest version.
Note, selecting libasound2-dev instead of libasound-dev
Note, selecting libglew1.5-dev instead of libglew-dev
Note, selecting libfontconfig1-dev instead of libfontconfig-dev
Package libpng-dev is a virtual package provided by:
libpng12-dev 1.2.15~beta5-3ubuntu0.1
E: Package libpng-dev has no installation candidate

I notice when I run the update, it seems to be going against hardy... shouldn't 8.10 be intrepid?
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Live on ASUS P5N7A-VM complete guide2