• 2(current)
Preparing all my 'media' for Aeon?
Does this mean that I'll want to have all of my posters in 1080p by the time Stark is released?
I feel a new screenshot coming.
ﻪﻥﻋﺸﻷﻜﻈﭚ
I want to make sure I get the terminology correct. Can someone confirm this:

Backdrops
  • cycling background images when browsing the main menu.
  • only used by certain skins
Thumbnails (poster)
  • the icon for a particular TV show or Movie
  • Movie - poster or DVD cover (depending on the skin)
  • TV Show - banner or poster (depending on the skin)
  • Used in the various Library media views in both the Project Mayhem skins and in Aeon
  • tbn files (can be different resolutions depending on your theme and screen resolution)
Fanart
  • background images that display when navigating through a particular TV Show or appear according to what movie is currently selected
  • XBMC feature
  • Used by both one of Project Mayhem's Library views and Aeon's views
Edited 1/02/09 2:18pm to remove Aeon dependency for Backdrops
It's not essential to have all your posters in 1080p. It's probably inadvisable if you insist on running it on Xbox. But it's for the best if you want maximum goodness.

And I'm calling Stark "Aeon One" because it reflects my original vision being completed. It's the first proper version which will make the old alphas obsolete. When it's released it'll just be "Aeon". So there you go.
backdrops that cycle are in no way exclusive to AEON. AEON might have been the first, but other skins do this as well.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/
rwparris2 Wrote:backdrops that cycle are in no way exclusive to AEON. AEON might have been the first, but other skins do this as well.
Awesome. Thanks for the info; I updated my post.
djh_ Wrote:It's not essential to have all your posters in 1080p. It's probably inadvisable if you insist on running it on Xbox. But it's for the best if you want maximum goodness.

And I'm calling Stark "Aeon One" because it reflects my original vision being completed. It's the first proper version which will make the old alphas obsolete. When it's released it'll just be "Aeon". So there you go.

Do those of us using 720p displays need to worry about getting posters that are 1080px high, or will 720px high posters accomplish the same thing on the lower resolution display?
For some reason, posters at 720p don't look as crisp at 720p as 1080p ones. Anyway, better to have posters that are too good rather than a bit too shit.
What about aspect ratio? Horizonz resizes the poster to 1:1.58 while MediaStream does it 1:1.60 in poster wall view. And they both resize, they don't crop, so I guess the AR is important unless you wanna have skewed posters.
Running XBMC on my HTPC, tablet, phone and pinball machine.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forums before posting. Do NOT e-mail Team-XBMC members asking for support. For troubleshooting and bug reporting, make sure you read this first.
Oh and in the Starks Screenshots you posted, you use 1:1.48, that's quite different from those poster wall views. Any comment on how we should crop the posters?
Running XBMC on my HTPC, tablet, phone and pinball machine.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forums before posting. Do NOT e-mail Team-XBMC members asking for support. For troubleshooting and bug reporting, make sure you read this first.
At the moment, Aeon crops posters in Showcase and resizes in certain other views. I haven't been too precious about dimensions and haven't really noticed any problems. Just stick to the rough aspect ratio of a modern movie poster and you'll be fine.

The way it handles TV Shows, on the other hand, is about to be redesigned from scratch. I'll keep you posted on any requirements for episode thumbnails, though the poster format for shows and seasons will remain.
Argh, I'm so anal about the quality of my presentation I'll surely get new art for my 1500+ movie collection. I already have thumbs done for each movie either from nicecovers.com or ccovers. Edited if needed of course in PS.

Where do you get these nice huge 1080 movie posters from though? Do I have to use the pay site movieposterdb?
krypt2nite Wrote:Where do you get these nice huge 1080 movie posters from though? Do I have to use the pay site movieposterdb?

I, too, would like to know where to get 1080 quality posters, either free or otherwise.

Is there somewhere that a list of all sites can be made, both for fanart and thumbnails. Should i start a new, dedicated thread for this?

I think it would be good if we all had a list of all the resources available to us, fanart and thumbnail-wise.

I know people sometimes create fanart backdrop packs, but has anyone ever thought of creating a thumbnail pack? I think a 1080 resolution thumbnail pack would be great. Or if there was somewhere for everyone to upload their high quality thumbnail posters and we all pool them together to give everyone a great selection of high quality artwork for all aspects of use within XBMC.
Personally I get all my posters from http://www.movieposterdb.com/ but they charge per download at that site. They do have many high res posters however so I think its worth it.

I save the original full size posters (some get retouched in photoshop as needed) as:
Dark Knight, The (2008).jpg

I then have a script that I use to make a copy of the files as .tbn and then batch resize the images to my desired dimensions. This way I have been able to quickly and easily move from tbn posters sized at 500pixels high to 1080pixels as DJH has suggested previously in this thread.
Okay, it could be that I am dense, although rickatnight11's earlier post helped clear things up, but I have a huge favor to ask. Can someone confirm the following statement:

In this screen shot, the fanart for Faceoff is shown as the background and the thumbnail for Faceoff is shown as the poster in the (approx) bottom left corner.

• 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Preparing all my 'media' for Aeon?3