• 16(current)
No multithreaded Video decoding on XBMC INTREPID version (in-depth testing)
louisv6 Wrote:Is the CPU frequency scaling working for you guys?

I've found that I can only get acceptable XBMC performance in Hardy by setting my frequency governor to 'performance' using cpufreq-utils (3GHZ Dual-core AM2), however I wasn't able to do this on my fully patched up Intrepid installation (same hardware) because the kernel isn't properly detecting my AMD AM2's Powernow features.

It's a long shot, but I wondered if it could be related to this thread (I'm suffering with the same problem. A patched SVN xbmc plays perfectly on Intrepid, but as others have noted is unstable, so not exactly high on the WAF.)

You can actually leave your CPU in ondemand mode, and lower the threshold to kick it up to full:

add the following lines to /etc/rc.local

echo 15 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold
echo 15 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold
Applying xbmc_ffmpeg_mt.patch
on a svn rev 17754 source generates a lot of failed hunks.

http://paste.ubuntu.com/118745/

Edit: There was a newer patch then the one mentioned on http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO:_Inst...ep-by-step. It can be found on http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5680 and the URL to download it is http://trac.xbmc.org/raw-attachment/tick...7344.patch. I think you need that exact revision to successfully apply the patch. It wasn't possible with svn rev 17754.
Any news on this problem? Is the FF in SD materials fixed?
No fix yet, neighter for cabac patch on intrepid.
Our best hope is vdpau now, or if the devs can figure out the problem with cabac patch.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Well, not everyone has VDPAU hardware, so I would say NO, VDPAU is not the solution.
i've got this problem on my AMD 5600x2 and i have been using the patch. But after reading this thread i can't figure out what the problem is?
Why does certain people have this problem and some not?
Is it a motherboard, cpu, gpu problem?
My question is, can i change something in my hardware to get this problem go away.
4ndr3w Wrote:i've got this problem on my AMD 5600x2 and i have been using the patch. But after reading this thread i can't figure out what the problem is?
Why does certain people have this problem and some not?
Is it a motherboard, cpu, gpu problem?
My question is, can i change something in my hardware to get this problem go away.

The people using the older Hardy kernel does not have this problem. The people using Intrepid kernel has the problem in case they want to play a high bitrate 720 or 1080p content which can not be handled by ONE CORE. You don't see the problem until the content can be handled by one core. But if it's not possible than so far ALL people had problems with Intrepid, Jaunty, Fedora Core 10 etc.

The problem is likely related to the unofficial (not in ffmpeg mainline) xbmc CABAC patch they use to enable some kind of paralellism in the decoding process versus to the mainline ffmpeg code, where there is only sequential decoding is possible.

I aggree that VDPAU is not the solution, but we don't have any cure right now other than that.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Do you think there would be a problem for me to use Hardy instead of Intrepid?
My hardware:
MB: MSI K9N Neo (Nvidia Nforce 550, AM2)
CPU: AMD 5600x2
GPU: Nvidia 7600GT
M$ remote
The only thing am not certain is the motherboard.

I am not familiar with it. Anyway i think the only problem you could have is having supend to ram not work properly (sound, network card, remote etc problems)

If you have a minimal install with hardy or an xbmc live wou could have a fast booting system and that way you don't have to worry about suspend.
It's not the kernel. 2.6.23 exhibits the same behavior as 2.6.27 on Gentoo. Hardy was using 2.6.24, and Intrepid 2.6.27 last I tried them.
4ndr3w Wrote:Do you think there would be a problem for me to use Hardy instead of Intrepid?
My hardware:
MB: MSI K9N Neo (Nvidia Nforce 550, AM2)
CPU: AMD 5600x2
GPU: Nvidia 7600GT
M$ remote

I used an MSI K9n platinum (nforce 570) with no issues under hardy. LAN and analog audio were recognized with no issues.

If your board has SPDIF/optical out and you want to use it, I don't know how hardy will handle it. Try it and see. Worse case scenario, you may not to upgrade ALSA.
althekiller Wrote:It's not the kernel. 2.6.23 exhibits the same behavior as 2.6.27 on Gentoo. Hardy was using 2.6.24, and Intrepid 2.6.27 last I tried them.

Thanks for the info. You say you tried an earlier kernel than Hardy's had the behavior like the new kernels ?

This could be a lead to check what is the same in 23 and 27 kernel which is not in 24.

Compiler version on 23 was the same as in 24 ?
No, that means it's a system library NOT the kernel. It's very unlikely that something was removed/added for just one kernel version then reverted.
ok,this is strange. I had everything working fine in Hardy. Then decided to try the SVN version just for kicks. After installation of that I have frame drops.
OK,no problem I'll just remove it and re-install the stable version. Nope.

Still having problems. So something must have been installed along with that SVN version which messed it up unfortunately I didn't bother to look at what it installed Sad

I'm going to re-install Hardy and xbmc stable from scratch and see how it goes ..
Update:

Re-installed everything and now it's working again. Hardy and stable xbmc. Can play back killa sample without frame drops.
I'm going to stick with this and not experiment with Ubuntu version or xbmc SVN builds for a while Smile
  • 16(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No multithreaded Video decoding on XBMC INTREPID version (in-depth testing)1