• 45(current)
[RELEASE] MythBox for XBMC - a MythTV Front-end Python Script for XBMC
I have a similar setup to you with 0.24 Myth in a VM on ESXi and its working great with a pre-Eden build of OpenELEC. My HDHomerruns work with live streaming no issues at all. My HDPVR won't play live tv but i can set and watch recordings, all with firewire channel changes. Live TV will work in a MythTV front end but not in XBMC. My HDHomeRun Prime is delivered tomorrow and I am hoping by the weekend I have it all working with my XBMC setup. I've read you need the 0.24 fixes build and there are a few workarounds

Jon
Guys...

I'm not trying to be rude or ungrateful. I'm running Myth 0.24 on the backend and nightly builds of XBMC 11.0. It seems that, as I somewhat randomly update my nightly install (~once a month), XBMC and most things within it get better and better...

... but my beloved add-on (MythBox) seems to get more and more broken and/or unstable. With respect, what is the roadmap for MythBox? is it being dropped due to more PVR functionality coming in future releases of XBMC?

I really hope not...

on a different note, I've pretty much stuck with 1.0.3 as 1.0.4 had issues so I went back... there is no 1.0.5 as far as I know but the Google Code site indicates there are updates to the repository that would make my 1.0.3 install even more out of date. How do I install from the repository and take advantage of new updates there? Is this advised?

Please fill me in... Thanx
Hello,

I have this working really well and reliable with a mythbuntu backend and XBMC/mythbox 1.0.4 front end for my HDHomeruns. However, it will not tune my HD PVR.

If I load mythfrontend on Mac or linux then I can tune the HD PVR very reliably, I am using Firewire channel changing. All works great, but on the Mythbox it says 'Buffering' then stops after 6 seconds. HDHomerun says Buffering then plays after 6 seconds.

I am thinking this is a timeout issue as the channel takes a while to change on the backend. I also tried playing this inside XBMC using the myth:// protocol - again HDHomerun streams play but HD PVR will not.

Does anyone have any advice for me on what I have to change on my XBMC to get it to stream my HD PVR source? So close to having it perfect....

(I should add, if I schedule a recording on the HD PVR I can watch it on Mythbox)

Thanks

Jon
kartman_canada Wrote:Guys...

I'm not trying to be rude or ungrateful. I'm running Myth 0.24 on the backend and nightly builds of XBMC 11.0. It seems that, as I somewhat randomly update my nightly install (~once a month), XBMC and most things within it get better and better...

... but my beloved add-on (MythBox) seems to get more and more broken and/or unstable. With respect, what is the roadmap for MythBox? is it being dropped due to more PVR functionality coming in future releases of XBMC?

I really hope not...

on a different note, I've pretty much stuck with 1.0.3 as 1.0.4 had issues so I went back... there is no 1.0.5 as far as I know but the Google Code site indicates there are updates to the repository that would make my 1.0.3 install even more out of date. How do I install from the repository and take advantage of new updates there? Is this advised?

Please fill me in... Thanx

Well, you put that very well - and I'm in exactly the same boat as you. I've tried and tried to use Mythbox, but found it unstable with the new builds. Unfortunately, because I chose 0.24 to build my first MythTV backend, it seems I have little choice but to use only the built in connector in XBMC.

MythBox has a much better gui, tv guide and recording capabilities, but it's just unstable and unable to skip on streams.

Actually, I think it probably needs a fork, to an Eden branch, which is focused on taking better advantage of the built in connector, but adding the MythBox extra's to it.
Hello,

I'm fairly new to XBMC and Mythbox, I've been using Xlobby as my HTPC frontend for the past five years. I'm now considering moving to a combination of XBMC + Mythbox + MythTV with my new HDHomeRun Prime to give me a single frontend which will allow me to access my music, photos, movie collection and live TV.

I have successfully gotten Mythbox installed and I'm able to access the TV Guide and watch live TV. I'm running XBMC v10.1 on Windows 7 with the Mythbox plugin v1.04. I'm running MythTV backend v0.24.1-84-g8f865a6 on Mythbuntu connecting to my HDHomeRun Prime (HDHR3-CC) firmware v20110916beta1 using Comcast Cable.

I have three issues with Mythbox I suspect are newbie problems which I'm sure experts in this thread can likely point me in the correct direction to resolve. Here are the three issues I have:

1. I'm missing the channel logos on the TV Guide menu

2. I'm only seeing 2 out of 3 tuners at the home screen of MythBox, how do I add the third tuner and how do I relabel them so its tuner1, tuner2, tuner3?

3. When I watching live TV and go back to the TV Guide to watch something else I noticed that the current channel is showing up in the background behind the TV Guide grid. How can I move that so its in another place where I can see it while looking at the TV guide?

I've included my xbmc.log but I have no log file for Mythbox because according to Mythbox FAQ it doesn't work on Windows platform.

https://home.comcast.net/~snsumner/xbmc/xbmc.log

If anyone know how I can fix any of these three problem I would greatly appreciate the help.

Thanks,
Scott
stevellion Wrote:Well, you put that very well - and I'm in exactly the same boat as you. I've tried and tried to use Mythbox, but found it unstable with the new builds. Unfortunately, because I chose 0.24 to build my first MythTV backend, it seems I have little choice but to use only the built in connector in XBMC.

MythBox has a much better gui, tv guide and recording capabilities, but it's just unstable and unable to skip on streams.

Actually, I think it probably needs a fork, to an Eden branch, which is focused on taking better advantage of the built in connector, but adding the MythBox extra's to it.

Glad to hear that I'm not alone Smile

So, is there any value in trying to run a version of MythBox that is checked out of the repository? If so, how do I do this? I'm running a very recent nightly build of Eden now. So, I've been forced to pretty much abandon MythBox and revert to adding a 'myth://' source to XBMC directly.

This seems to work OK but Mythbox was waaaaaay better IMHO. With the 'myth://' source, can we:
1) delete recordings?
2) enable commercial skipping (if flagged)?
3) watch livetv?

For me, commercial skipping is top of the want list with livetv at the bottom. But, if somebody is offering, I'd take all 3 in a heartbeat. Smile

If I had any perl skill, I'd like to contribute but, unfortunately, the best I can offer is to be a beta tester!
kartman_canada - sorry to be a bit late to reply to you.

I've tried running a checked out version, but it doesn't solve the problems I had.

If you want to try it though - you need to use hg.

http://code.google.com/p/mythbox/source/checkout

basically, do hg clone https://code.google.com/p/mythbox/ - That downloads it onto your box.

Then, I've been just copying the code from where you downloaded, on top of the code in the xbmc tree. ~/.xbmc/addons/script.mythbox

I like using cpio.. coz I'm old.
(but also because it maintains the modification times well and also only copies files that have been updated)

cd to the mythbox folder.
find . -print|cpio -pvmd ../.xbmc/addons/script.mythbox
(p = pass/don't create archive, v = verbose, m = keep mod times, d = create directories) (use u too, to copy unconditionally, even if target is newer.)

Cheers!
Mythbox been working great for a while, but now getting this error trying to load it:

Code:
ââ> cat mythbox.log
INFO | mythbox.core | bootstrapper.py | MainThread | Line 88 | Mythbox Logger Initialized
DEBUG | mythbox.core | platform.py | MainThread | Line 89 | syspath[0] = /home/bobby/.xbmc/addons/script.mythbox
DEBUG | mythbox.core | platform.py | MainThread | Line 89 | syspath[1] = /home/bobby/.xbmc/addons/script.module.common.playback/lib
DEBUG | mythbox.core | platform.py | MainThread | Line 89 | syspath[2] = /home/bobby/.xbmc/addons/script.module.beautifulsoup/lib
DEBUG | mythbox.core | platform.py | MainThread | Line 89 | syspath[3] = /home/bobby/.xbmc/addons/script.module.cryptopy/lib
DEBUG | mythbox.core | platform.py | MainThread | Line 89 | syspath[4] = /home/bobby/.xbmc/addons/script.module.simplejson/lib
DEBUG | mythbox.core | platform.py | MainThread | Line 89 | syspath[5] = /usr/lib/xbmc/addons/script.module.pil/lib
DEBUG | mythbox.core | platform.py | MainThread | Line 89 | syspath[6] = /home/bobby/.xbmc/addons/script.module.elementtree/lib
DEBUG | mythbox.core | platform.py | MainThread | Line 89 | syspath[7] = /home/bobby/.xbmc/addons/script.web.viewer/lib
DEBUG | mythbox.core | platform.py | MainThread | Line 89 | syspath[8] = /usr/lib/xbmc/addons/script.module.pysqlite/lib
DEBUG | mythbox.core | platform.py | MainThread | Line 89 | syspath[9] = /usr/lib/xbmc/system/python/python24.zip
DEBUG | mythbox.core | platform.py | MainThread | Line 89 | syspath[10] = /usr/share/xbmc/system/python/lib/python24.zip
DEBUG | mythbox.core | platform.py | MainThread | Line 89 | syspath[11] = /usr/share/xbmc/system/python/lib/python2.4/
DEBUG | mythbox.core | platform.py | MainThread | Line 89 | syspath[12] = /usr/share/xbmc/system/python/lib/python2.4/plat-linux2
DEBUG | mythbox.core | platform.py | MainThread | Line 89 | syspath[13] = /usr/share/xbmc/system/python/lib/python2.4/lib-tk
DEBUG | mythbox.core | platform.py | MainThread | Line 89 | syspath[14] = /usr/share/xbmc/system/python/lib/python2.4/lib-dynload
DEBUG | mythbox.core | platform.py | MainThread | Line 89 | syspath[15] = /home/bobby/.xbmc/addons/script.mythbox/resources/src
DEBUG | mythbox.core | platform.py | MainThread | Line 89 | syspath[16] = /home/bobby/.xbmc/addons/script.mythbox/resources/lib/pyxcoder
DEBUG | mythbox.core | platform.py | MainThread | Line 89 | syspath[17] = /home/bobby/.xbmc/addons/script.mythbox/resources/lib/decorator
DEBUG | mythbox.core | platform.py | MainThread | Line 89 | syspath[18] = /home/bobby/.xbmc/addons/script.mythbox/resources/lib/odict
DEBUG | mythbox.core | platform.py | MainThread | Line 89 | syspath[19] = /home/bobby/.xbmc/addons/script.mythbox/resources/lib/elementtree
DEBUG | mythbox.core | platform.py | MainThread | Line 89 | syspath[20] = /home/bobby/.xbmc/addons/script.mythbox/resources/lib/tvdb_api
DEBUG | mythbox.core | platform.py | MainThread | Line 89 | syspath[21] = /home/bobby/.xbmc/addons/script.mythbox/resources/lib/tvrage
DEBUG | mythbox.core | platform.py | MainThread | Line 89 | syspath[22] = /home/bobby/.xbmc/addons/script.mythbox/resources/lib/themoviedb
DEBUG | mythbox.core | platform.py | MainThread | Line 89 | syspath[23] = /home/bobby/.xbmc/addons/script.mythbox/resources/lib/IMDbPY
DEBUG | mythbox.core | platform.py | MainThread | Line 89 | syspath[24] = /home/bobby/.xbmc/addons/script.mythbox/resources/lib/simplejson
DEBUG | mythbox.core | platform.py | MainThread | Line 89 | syspath[25] = /home/bobby/.xbmc/addons/script.mythbox/resources/lib/mysql-connector-python
DEBUG | mythbox.core | platform.py | MainThread | Line 89 | syspath[26] = /home/bobby/.xbmc/addons/script.mythbox/resources/lib/python-twitter
DEBUG | mythbox.core | platform.py | MainThread | Line 89 | syspath[27] = /home/bobby/.xbmc/addons/script.mythbox/resources/lib/twisted
DEBUG | mythbox.core | platform.py | MainThread | Line 89 | syspath[28] = /home/bobby/.xbmc/addons/script.mythbox/resources/lib/zope.interface
DEBUG | mythbox.core | platform.py | MainThread | Line 89 | syspath[29] = /home/bobby/.xbmc/addons/script.mythbox/resources/lib/mockito
DEBUG | mythbox.core | platform.py | MainThread | Line 89 | syspath[30] = /home/bobby/.xbmc/addons/script.mythbox/resources/lib/unittest2
DEBUG | mythbox.core | platform.py | MainThread | Line 89 | syspath[31] = /home/bobby/.xbmc/addons/script.mythbox/resources/lib/unittest
DEBUG | mythbox.core | platform.py | MainThread | Line 89 | syspath[32] = /home/bobby/.xbmc/addons/script.mythbox/resources/test
INFO | mythbox.core | bootstrapper.py | MainThread | Line 106 | Mythbox Platform Initialized

I see this in XBMC: http;//i.imgur.com/95bz3.png
Which version of MythTV is the better option? 0.23 or 0.24?

I don't think I need (or want?) streaming capability since playing directory over a file system seems much better (?).

I also don't need Live TV at all.

All I want is to play a recording, optionally skip commercials, and skip forward/backward while I'm playing a recording.
Late reply - sorry.

So which version of MythTV.

0.24 has quite a lot of enhancements around audio playback - but that is only relevant I think if you plan on using Myth-Frontend.

If you're going to use only the backend, and use XBMC for a frontend (and probably mythweb to schedule recordings etc) then you don't need 0.24

However, 0.24 is getting more development and it is the latest...

If you're new to this - go with 0.23 and get up and running quick with MythBox.
If you don't mind spending more time, go with 0.24 and check out this thread on the PVR build of XBMC http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=110694
The eye of sauron is pointing there...

(Heck, if you just use the myth:// source, you can use mainline ppa and you're up and running against 0.24 anyway.. it's no hassle at all really, just the myth:// source is not as pretty and doesn't have a proper EPG)

The way I see it.. (no disrespect) is that MythBox will 'pause' or fork here and remain the standard for pre 0.24, whereas >= 0.24 will move to the mainline myth:// source or the xMyth PVR add-in as above.

Now - if we could encourage Analogue, tsp42 and dtierney to co-work.. that might be just Amazing Smile
howdy folks!

been busy with real life for the past few months but i'm slowing getting time to make updates to the plugin. i've got a hdhr prime to set up in the next couple of weeks so expect to see some improvements in stability and feature set for the 0.24 + eden combo. btw, i'm moving the mythbox repo over to github so you can track the latest developments there -- http://github.com/analogue/MythBox
MythBox for XBMC - http://mythbox.googlecode.com
Great!
Just got this all up and running on a Apple TV version 1 running os 3.0.2 obviously patch sticked. So, when I try to use mythbox I successfully test settings and its all good. WHen I try to watch a recording, it acts like it going to play and never does.

Also, live tv does the same but the spinning logo stays there, I wait for over 5 minutes and nothing so I have to ssh into the apple tv, and kill XBMC.

I have even tried to use the myth:// protocol and I get "Could not connect to network server" You can see the exact source entry in my attached sources.xml.

Please help. I am attaching log files from both XBMC and Mythbox. I believe I have enabled all debugging options. I will link to the pastebin as I am not sure if so many logs will allow to be posted. Thanks for any help!

xbmc.log = http://pastebin.com/dH0WYnYW

mythbox.log = http://pastebin.com/s6n0jWmU

sources.xml = http://pastebin.com/QwBTgQ5x

The mythtv backend IS listening on 6543 so not sure why log says it can't connect.

tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:6543 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1126/mythbackend

I guess the last thing to note is that I can access everything fine from my original xbox running the xbmc script and using the myth:// protocol.

Pictures of permission on mysql server:
Dumb question - the plug in doesn't show up in my pre-Eden nightly. Is this a known issue? Is there any way to install it, or should I just wait?
mazda01 Wrote:Just got this all up and running on a Apple TV version 1 running os 3.0.2 obviously patch sticked. So, when I try to use mythbox I successfully test settings and its all good. WHen I try to watch a recording, it acts like it going to play and never does.

Also, live tv does the same but the spinning logo stays there, I wait for over 5 minutes and nothing so I have to ssh into the apple tv, and kill XBMC.

I have even tried to use the myth:// protocol and I get "Could not connect to network server" You can see the exact source entry in my attached sources.xml.

Please help. I am attaching log files from both XBMC and Mythbox. I believe I have enabled all debugging options. I will link to the pastebin as I am not sure if so many logs will allow to be posted. Thanks for any help!

xbmc.log = http://pastebin.com/dH0WYnYW

mythbox.log = http://pastebin.com/s6n0jWmU

sources.xml = http://pastebin.com/QwBTgQ5x

The mythtv backend IS listening on 6543 so not sure why log says it can't connect.

tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:6543 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1126/mythbackend

I guess the last thing to note is that I can access everything fine from my original xbox running the xbmc script and using the myth:// protocol.

Pictures of permission on mysql server:
Is this too early to BUMPM after 3 days? Sorry if so. I upgraded the MythBox to 1.0.5 instead of 1.0.4 and I am still getting errors in the logs. It's like MythTV .23.1+fixes changed protocol or something. It's weird because I am getting tons of info on my recordings, mythbox shows my tuners, BUT I can't watch recordings NOR watch live tv. The live tv is not even a requirement but I thought I'd see if it worked.

So currently I am merely using mythlink script to create human readable symlinks in a folder which is shared via SMB and then in XBMC my video source points to that SMB share.

Anyone able to help me get either the myth:// protocol working again OR get this MythBox working? Thanks
  • 45(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] MythBox for XBMC - a MythTV Front-end Python Script for XBMC4