• 38(current)
[RELEASE] MythBox for XBMC - a MythTV Front-end Python Script for XBMC
Hi,

I haven't been able to find this answer, so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I've just downloaded the latest source and created a zip installation for my ATV2 to test the streaming functionality. The old Mythbox started up fine, however the latest from trunk wants me to use cydia to install ffmpeg. ssh into the atv, apt-get install ffmpeg doesn't work, and there doesn't seen to be much information on how to get this working. Any ideas/suggestions/helpHuh!!?
OK, I was able to install com.fizk.ffmpeg and now mythbox starts up! I get a list of recordings, my upcoming recordings show, and I can pull up a tv guide. Neat!

However, I get a couple of strange issues:

- I can't play recordings or live TV. Get a strange 'int: -10' error (xbmc.log below), and later on a broken pipe message.
- When I go into settings, I see all the right details, however 'test settings' errors out with a mysql connection problem.

So close.....

mythtv 0.21
xbmc log http://pastebin.com/zRkW4BXA
Hi,

I need help. My setup

mythubuntu - backend uses mythtv 0.24
windows 7 + xbmc latest version 10.1 + mythbox addon
apple tv2 4.2.1 latest firmware jailbroken + XBMC nightly build + mythbox

Windows 7 xbmc mythbox works flawlessly - I created a network share in windows to point to my backend //MYTHTVSERVER. In the mythbox configuration xbmc gui I used the folders //MYTHTVSERVER/LIVETV & //MYTHTVSERVER/RECORDINGS.

In appletv2 xbmc mythbox front end I need to do similar configuration. How do I create and mount a share in AppleTV2. I would like to create and mount a share called MYTHTVSERVER in AppleTV2.

Any help would be appreciated.
AnyoneHuh
The forthcoming mythbox 1.03 is supposed to remove the need for mapped shares. It's not out yet, but you may get some joy compiling from the latest source (or waiting).
Thumbs Up 
So I got this plug in working pretty well once mythtv was set up correctly. I'm using mythtv 23.1 and the mythbox version from the repo.
Worked using ubuntu 10.10 32+64 and win 7 64 on local and other xbmc frontends.
I haven't tried recording anything though as I'm really just using it for live tv and epg. Thanks for this.
Same issues with MythBox here as well.
I can see the EPG but once I try to watch some livetv the waiting does not end, is simply hags on waiting trying to connect th the mythtv backend.

Myth TV 0.23, the official mythtv frontend works without issues.
mochu Wrote:Same issues with MythBox here as well.
I can see the EPG but once I try to watch some livetv the waiting does not end, is simply hags on waiting trying to connect th the mythtv backend.

Myth TV 0.23, the official mythtv frontend works without issues.

Did you run the test from the setup menu?
Yes all is fine in the setup menu of the mythbox script.
I'd like to send a big "Thank You" for all the work that went into creating version 1.03. I downloaded and installed it, and from now on it will be *the* way we access MythTV in our home. Even my wife is excited about it.

The script is so much improved over 1.02 that it probably should have been called 2.0.

I reported (on the Google code page) a very small glitch related to sorting of the programs list in the "Watch programs" screen. Aside from that, it's working perfectly for us.
Under Mythbox 1.0.2, I had slight horizontal artifacts that showed up on fast moving images or people. I tried to change the video settings in XBMC but that did not make a difference.

With the install of Mythbox 1.0.3, those artifacts are VERY pronounced. People walking down the street or even a slow camera pan makes these horizontal artifacts show up.

These artifacts do not show up in any other XBMC videos. In a previous life of this system when the Frontend and Backend were both running on the same Ubuntu machine, these artifacts never showed up.

I have tried turning on/off aggressive caching. I have tried turning on/off streaming. (Thank you for the streaming option! I hated having to deal with auto-mounts.)

Do you have any suggestions about how I can reduce the artifacts that appear while using MythBox v1.0.3?

Rob

My backend configuration is:
MythTV Backend version: 0.23.1
Installed in January 2011 with Mythbuntu
Kernel version: Linux mythtvbackend 2.6.35-27-generic
Hard Drive: 2 Western Digital 1TB 7200RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA
Video onboard: Integrated SiS Ultra256 2D/3D Graphics
Tuner card: 2 pcHDTV HD-5500
Audio onboard: AUDIO ADI AD1888 6-channel audio CODEC
Network Card: Onboard 10/100 Network (with active 100 Mbps connection)

My frontend configuration is:
Windows 7 Professional (32-bit) SP1 with XBMC 10.1 "Dharma" with Mythbox 1.0.3
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.2GHz Socket 775 800 FSB w/Hyper Threading Technology
Memory: 1Gig DDR 333 Memory 180 Pin
Motherboard: ASRock 775i65G Mother Board
Optical Drive: LG 18X DVD RW + Dual Layer
Video card: BFG VIDIA AGP GeForce 7300GT, 512MB DDR2, 350MHz, DVI-I, VGA, HDTV, TV-out (Active outputs are DVI-I and TV-out)
Audio card: Riviera C-Media CMI 8738 (Connected to my entertainment center via the optical cable) CODEC: CMI8738, Driver: 6.12.8.1738
DirectX: 4.09.00.0904
Network Card: Onboard 10/100 Network (with active 100 Mbps connection)
Controller: MS Kinect with KinEmote v0.4
Are you sure the artefacts are more pronounced? Sounds like you are seeing interlacing artefacts which would be a function of xbmc not of mythbox. You can switch on deinterlacing in the video processing menu when the video is playing.

The reason you don't see it on other xbmc material is probably because the material is progressive, not interlaced.
Should I wait for Mythbox to work with 0.24, or should I downgrade MythTV?

I've just installed my new PC with Natty AMD-64 and have MythTV working fine.

I'd much rather though, run the frontend via XBMC, but not sure how long I'm likely to need to wait for that.

(I had to hack the drivers for my DVB card to make it work, so don't mind going to sources etc.)

So - Should I wait and hack, or should I go back to 0.23 Myth?

Cheers!
arad85,

Thank you for that tidbit. Turning on deinterlacing made the artifacts go away!

stevellion,

I think v1.0.3 now supports MythTV .24. But to answer your question... YES! Mythbox is worth downgrading for! I did it earlier this year and love having XMBC as my Media Center. (Now, if only Windows didn't bomb so often...)

Rob
Yes, I'd realised I was on 1.0.3 already and it's kind-a-working.

I'm getting jumpy playback in XBMC, but not in MythTV Frontend.
(I'm loading MythTV via Executor from within XBMC)

I guess this is because Streaming isn't supported.

However, I saw some comments on the MythBox forum today that commented that XBMC will un-bundle the PVR funtions until the next-next release, so therefore should 1.0.4 be re-worked to run with 0.24 Myth properly.

Maybe because you're running Windows instead of Linux as your XBMC/Frontend it makes it more obvious to use XBMC.

I just "prefer" it, but MythTV Frontend seems "Technically" better in some ways, just it's a different UI experience (and I prefer XBMC)

Cheers! - PS - Anyone else got comments on this?
  • 38(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] MythBox for XBMC - a MythTV Front-end Python Script for XBMC4