Will xbmc transcode to my xbox 360?
Hello all!

I've got an xbox 360 unbanned and unmodded. What I'm trying to do is watch an avi file on my computer on my tv, using my xbox. I've got it to share through WMP11, able to see all my shared pictures and music, but the only videos that show up are WMV. I've tried TVersity, it's supposed to do what I want, but my computer doesn't even show up on my 360 when I stop sharing WMP and try only using TVersity.

Will XBMC transcode avi files and host to my 360? If not, could anyone point me in the right direction? I've searched all over google and found people with similar problems but unanswered, or things that pertain specifically to Windows MCE, and I'm running XP SP3.

I've heard of an old 'optional media update' but can't seem to find it anywhere on the new dashboard. It's supposed to let you play divx/xvid, or so I've heard, but I just can't find where to get it (unless I already have it and it wasn't showing my avi files anyway.)

Thanks!
The "optional media update" for XBox 360 will let you play most .AVI containers, as well as mpeg videos, whether it's from a DVD or over your network via WMP.

All you need to do is try playing an AVI on your 360 while connected to XBL. It should tell you "An Update is needed to play this media". Download that, and PRESTO...avi streamed from WMP11.

As far as XBMC transcoding to your 360...I don't think it will transcode, but it will allow it to act as an uPnP server...I think. Basically does the same thing WMP11 would do. I've never used it tho.
digitalhigh Wrote:The "optional media update" for XBox 360 will let you play most .AVI containers, as well as mpeg videos, whether it's from a DVD or over your network via WMP.

All you need to do is try playing an AVI on your 360 while connected to XBL. It should tell you "An Update is needed to play this media". Download that, and PRESTO...avi streamed from WMP11.

As far as XBMC transcoding to your 360...I don't think it will transcode, but it will allow it to act as an uPnP server...I think. Basically does the same thing WMP11 would do. I've never used it tho.

I put multiple types of AVI's in my library and none of them showed up.
For example, most of them (according to g-spot) are DIV3 / DivX 3 Low-Motion.

I'll mess around more with it, though. Thank you! I'll try actually putting them in My Videos instead of just adding them to my wmp 11 library.
Rainbow 
Hey eulogy1337,

Please let us know if this works. I just downloaded XBMC and started playing around with it and I'm very curious if this will work. Most of my videos on my server are in a format non-standard to windows.

Thanks!
eulogy1337 Wrote:I put multiple types of AVI's in my library and none of them showed up.
For example, most of them (according to g-spot) are DIV3 / DivX 3 Low-Motion.

I'll mess around more with it, though. Thank you! I'll try actually putting them in My Videos instead of just adding them to my wmp 11 library.

You could also try burning one of the files to a DVD and playing that. This is how I first did it. Otherwise, check your settings in WMP11, make sure sharing is set up properly. I'm away from my machine ATM, so I can't tell you for sure what settings to check...
Well once I moved it to the My Videos folder they actually showed up using wmp11, so that's a step in the right direction.

It even prompted me to download the optional media update when I tried playing the file, though it said it had already been downloaded, I downloaded it again.

Then, once I tried to play it after downloading, it says "Can't play this content because it contains audio or video with an unsupported codec. For more info, go to www.xbox.com/support."

Like I said before it's Divx 3, and the audio is MPEG-1 Layer 3 (mp3 I believe), which if that isn't supported that's just retarded... But I thought the update was specifically for divx??
eulogy1337 Wrote:Well once I moved it to the My Videos folder they actually showed up using wmp11, so that's a step in the right direction.

It even prompted me to download the optional media update when I tried playing the file, though it said it had already been downloaded, I downloaded it again.

Then, once I tried to play it after downloading, it says "Can't play this content because it contains audio or video with an unsupported codec. For more info, go to www.xbox.com/support."

Like I said before it's Divx 3, and the audio is MPEG-1 Layer 3 (mp3 I believe), which if that isn't supported that's just retarded... But I thought the update was specifically for divx??

I'm almost positive that Divx support is included. And mp3 audio...yes, that should work. Have you tried other video files? Perhaps it's something to do with the one video...
XBMC is a Media Player I dont it is meant to do this, not even close Wink

Try other Streamers/Converters from
http://www.xbox-scene.org/tools-xbox360.php
Asus P5N7A-VM|Win7 32bit|Intel C2D E8400|2GB|integrated nVidia 9300-HDMI|Integrated Audio-Optical SPDIF| 50" plasma 3DTV (Samsung PS50C7705)
nanite1000 Wrote:XBMC is a Media Player I dont it is meant to do this, not even close Wink

Try other Streamers/Converters from
http://www.xbox-scene.org/tools-xbox360.php

He shouldn't need a streamer/converter. This is what we were just discussing.
I don't know why but the files with divx encoding dont work, but another file that was xvid works just fine. I guess 360 is just picky :'(

Can't believe how perfect and easy xbmc for xbox was, and why Microsoft has to make it so complicated and featureless.

Thanks for all the help guys, I don't think anything I can do will make it play the divx files I have.
Try naming the .avi with the divx in it to moviename.divx.

http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/X...page1.html

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Will xbmc transcode to my xbox 360?0