Req Run XBMC Library + Database as a Service / Daemon - Only want the UPnP Media Server?
Don't even try to run xbmc as a service.. To start with, xbmc on idle is way higher load (cpu/gpu) than you'd want on a server running 24/7 for other purposes.

Separating out the upnp server might be an idea. But it's currently quite entangled inside xbmc, so it'd probably not be especially easy.

I would use some other upnp server for this purpose instead. New WHS (or perhaps updated when W7 is released) will include on for example. That will not give you xbmc's TV/Movie scraping though.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Ideally...

XBMC would be a client/server architecture so that the 'server' can run as a service and we could have any number of clients connecting to it. This would be SWEET -- but I know I'm dreaming.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Livin Wrote:Ideally...

XBMC would be a client/server architecture so that the 'server' can run as a service and we could have any number of clients connecting to it. This would be SWEET -- but I know I'm dreaming.

Wow! That would be cool Big Grin
Hi, I would like to run the xbmc on my ubuntu 10.04 server. As there is no screen or anything installed i don't need the gui. But I really like the UPNP-Server provided by the XBMC. I use mediatomb, which really annoys me, as it has no movie information at all. Is there any possibility? Or should I just leave the GUI running and do not care? Is there an alternativ which provides a movie-database as nice as XBMC?

Thx guys!
No way to get rid of the GUI. It should run in VNC.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
Levino Wrote:Hi, I would like to run the xbmc on my ubuntu 10.04 server. As there is no screen or anything installed i don't need the gui. But I really like the UPNP-Server provided by the XBMC. I use mediatomb, which really annoys me, as it has no movie information at all. Is there any possibility? Or should I just leave the GUI running and do not care? Is there an alternativ which provides a movie-database as nice as XBMC?

Thx guys!

You don't need a GUI like Gnome, you can easily do without. You can run XBMC on a headless server and maintain your machine by using SSH. It works really well.
George Wrote:You don't need a GUI like Gnome, you can easily do without. You can run XBMC on a headless server and maintain your machine by using SSH. It works really well.

Hey George, how can I start and set-up basic stuff in the XBMC on the server. As paths to the mediafiles and stuff.

Thx so far, Levino
Could anyone tell me how this works?

I`m searching for a long time but haven`t found any solution...
Yes, that would be great! All my iphone remote apps are only working while xbmc is open, It is obvious to me. But it woudl great if they work also, while xbmc is not visible. Just running without the gui, and if i start a movie to play, xbmc pops up!!
Hmm I was searching for this solution and didn't find it either... Basically I want to update the libraries and do the scraping from a workhorse machine (my computer) then use MySQL to share the created database with my two ATV2's running XBMC. I am currently doing this and it works, but XBMC needs to be open on my main PC for this to happen.

I have a slight workaround that has at least made it less annoying:
1. Download TrayIt!
2. Create shortcut to XBMC
3. Right click shortcut, under properties select Run: Minimized
4. Place shortcut in startup folder
5. Launch XBMC, then make sure under System Settings=>Video Output=>Display mode is set to Windowed mode
6. Launch TrayIt!, go to options and select run at Startup
7. Right click XBMC in Tray It! and select 'Place in System Tray' (this sets XBMC to always minimize on startup, and thusly minimize to system tray)
8. Minimize XBMC

I'm aware that I could take my PC out of the picture (aside from sharing files which could be replaced with a NAS) and do all of the library management from one of the Apple TVs, but whenever they update they become nearly unusable until the update is finished. In addition, the ATV2 will crash from time to time and sometimes I use NetFlix, so my XBMC wouldn't be running 24/7 and wouldn't be as 'up-to-date' as it is now.
ATV2 running XBMC Eden (Skin: Quartz3)
Windows 7 running XBMC Eden (custom setup as I'm basically running it as a service)
MySQL installed on Windows 7 for sharing libraries
iOS Specific FAQ | Alternative ATV2 keymap | Default ATV2 keymap
Post log files to Pastebin

It's such a shame XBMC wont support this Sad I'm sure many people are in the position I'm in

We have a Humax PVR and a few supported net televisions. I'm not in a position to use XBMCs interface but I love the file management and everything else. I use a mac with twonky (which I'm in the process of removing!)

HINT: DO NOT USE TWONKY WITH A HUMAX DEVICE!

Anyway, I use a mac mini as a server for the web and all sorts of little things, I would LOVE the power of XBMC running as a service on the web and a compatible interface from the TV. People say there is no market for this, but you are wrong! Why? More people have a PC that can run it as a service than those that have one dedicated to displaying XBMC.

The features of the other 'media servers' do not compare to XBMC and to be quite honest Twonky is the worst. Regardless of samba constantly restarting the Humax box it is a clunky piece of s**** compared to what XBMC could offer.
(2013-01-30, 22:34)Nossie Wrote: It's such a shame XBMC wont support this Sad I'm sure many people are in the position I'm in

We have a Humax PVR and a few supported net televisions. I'm not in a position to use XBMCs interface but I love the file management and everything else. I use a mac with twonky (which I'm in the process of removing!)

HINT: DO NOT USE TWONKY WITH A HUMAX DEVICE!

Anyway, I use a mac mini as a server for the web and all sorts of little things, I would LOVE the power of XBMC running as a service on the web and a compatible interface from the TV. People say there is no market for this, but you are wrong! Why? More people have a PC that can run it as a service than those that have one dedicated to displaying XBMC.

The features of the other 'media servers' do not compare to XBMC and to be quite honest Twonky is the worst. Regardless of samba constantly restarting the Humax box it is a clunky piece of s**** compared to what XBMC could offer.

What's stopping you from just having XBMC running in the background 24/7 on the mac mini?
Windows 7 running XBMC Eden (custom setup as I'm basically running it as a service)

akevit:
I jump right into this question, because this is something I look for my self.

I think people want it to run in the background without starting the GUI, because that uses power of
the computer.
I know this is not supported yet, and of what I have read it will never be. If not someone that could code
is going to help them do it.

As I know this from reading and searching the forum and Google, I want to ask a simple question my self:

Is it possible in an simple way to make XBMC run in the systray when it is not in use?
In stead of closing XBMC, just make it run down there.
If I run it in windowed mode, that is the best for me, then I can`t minimize to the task-bar without it laying in the background.
I really mean in the background, behind all the time.
Petter :-)
Many thanks for all the effort YOU all do! THANKS! :-)
nVidia Shield TV (2015), Samsung QE75Q70R and Yamaha RX-V767
I can't speak for Mac but for windows I just use a program called TrayIt! This is what I was referring to having it run 24/7.

If you use TrayIt, would the program then start as normal if you start it again with a key command? (like: Shift+F10)
Petter :-)
Many thanks for all the effort YOU all do! THANKS! :-)
nVidia Shield TV (2015), Samsung QE75Q70R and Yamaha RX-V767

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Run XBMC Library + Database as a Service / Daemon - Only want the UPnP Media Server?1