• 8(current)
[REQUEST] MLB.TV (Live Major League Baseball Games) plugin? Maybe port/use mlbviewer?
So I just installed XBMC for the first time. MLBViewer is the one plugin that I absolutely need. I am looking at it and wondering if there is a good step by step guide for installing mlbviewer? I'm essentially a Linux rookie so baby steps would be good. Thanks
Well I can run mlbviewer but when I try to play a stream I get this error:

Buffering stream/bin/sh: rtmpdump: not found
/bin/sh: mplayer: not found

any ideas what I did wrong? I haven't even gotten to the integrating w/ XBMC stuff yet.
dylanb Wrote:Well I can run mlbviewer but when I try to play a stream I get this error:

Buffering stream/bin/sh: rtmpdump: not found
/bin/sh: mplayer: not found

any ideas what I did wrong? I haven't even gotten to the integrating w/ XBMC stuff yet.
You need to install rtmpdump and mplayer. mplayer will be easier because it's probably available through the package management system of your distribution. rtmpdump will be slightly more involved because you have to install from source, but it's not bad. You can get it here:
http://rtmpdump.mplayerhq.hu/
So I changed directions and went with Windows for XBMC just because it could work with some other things I needed to use the machine for.

Anyways, I installed cygwin and successfully have MLBviewer setup in Windows and I was wondering how you would suggest integrating it with XBMC.

I would love to be able to navigate to my Tigers game without having to exit out, open a browser, enter a password, and then play the game.

I was thinking that Launcher might be the answer. Would it be possible to use Launcher to go directly to MLBViewer somehow? Is there something else I should think about doing?

Thanks fellas
I'm not familiar with cygwin (or Windows anymore for that matter) but most terminal emulators in Linux have a command line option to execute a command upon opening. Maybe you could write a quick batch script that will launch the terminal with mlbviewer then call that script from the launcher plugin.
Not having any luck downloading the jar file, seems like MLB took it down. Anyone think they could send me a copy of theirs? [email protected]

Thanks
You can get it out of the Mac installer:

Code:
$ sudo apt-get install dmg2img p7zip-full
$ wget http://mlb.mlb.com/media/player/nexdef/v2010_108/mlbnexdefinstall.dmg
$ dmg2img mlbnexdefinstall.dmg
$ sudo modprobe hfsplus
$ sudo mount -t hfsplus -o loop mlbnexdefinstall.img /mnt
$ cp /mnt/MLB.TV\ NexDef\ Plug-in.pkg/Contents/Archive.pax.gz .
$ gzip -d Archive.pax.gz
$ 7z a Archive.pax
$ cp Library/Application\ Support/Swarmcast/lib/autobahn.jar .
Would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see someone port this into the new add-on functionality in V10!
I'm going to give this all another shot again this upcoming season but I'm still crossing my fingers that somebody cracks the code for an MLB.TV add-on. I'd be forever in their debt.
I got an e-mail today from the fine folks who run MLB.tv reminding me of the upcoming baseball season and it reminded me that MLB.tv is available for Boxee so it made me curious if it's a stretch of the imagination to think that some crafty person might be able to tinker into an addon for XBMC this season? I generally watch my MLB games from my PC using this service but am really hoping that I can get it working on my XBMC so I can watch baseball on a big screen again.

This type of development is far beyond my comprehension so I don't really understand the logistics behind it. I just figured that since Boxee and XBMC are cut from the same cloth that there might be hope of this being an addon. Does anybody know if it would be possible or if it's maybe being worked on already by someone?
Interesting idea. I am new to XBMC on an HTPC and have taken to watching NHL Gamecenter, a product similar to the MLB program. Would be great if it were available within XBMC though.

If you're really aching for the game on the big TV, you can get MLB.tv via the PS3.
Do you know how the Boxee mlb.tv plugin works? I haven't used much from boxee, but my understanding has always been that you are sent to a built-in webbrowser, and the web browser does the actual work. If that's the case, and if that's the only real way to access mlb.tv video, your best bet might be to talk to the people who are working on the netflix addon.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=87552
That very well might be the case, Nate. I'll have to look more into just how they're doing it. As theophile talks about in the thread here, he did have a workaround last year that allowed him to dump the stream from this mlbviewer python script that was developed for Linux into a mounted folder and watch in XBMC that way but I never got that option to work for myself (though I operate in XBMCLive and I think he was in Linux). Though, perhaps I should give it another shot since that was over a year ago.

I was hoping that with the mlbviewer script there might be hope of making an interface for it in XBMC for an add-on that could essential dump the streams as well like theophile was doing manually.
MLB.tv on Boxee seems to be using the native player. It has the Boxee scrub bar and the framerate is fairly smooth. This is on an HTPC where flash content normally chugs.

Last year there was a promotion where the entire season was available for 19.99 through Boxee. It was a decent solution (minus any games for the local team), but I had to break down and switch back to cable once my team was in a Pennant race. If there was an XBMC add-on I might look at it again.
I was able to get MLB.tv to work on Xbmc via PlayOn. Not the greatest but it worked on an old Xbox.
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[REQUEST] MLB.TV (Live Major League Baseball Games) plugin? Maybe port/use mlbviewer?1