• 3(current)
[LINUX] HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) and 8.10 (Intrepid)
spozen Wrote:I have the P5N7A-VM, using the integrated VGA hooked up to my TV. The window appears when ubuntu launches X first i see XBMC start then this window comes up ruining everything when i answer yes to this blue window i get thrown out of tty7 and into Gnome/ubuntu tty9.

Confusing?

Very confusing as there is no gnome installed at all....
Did ou used my xorg.conf or your own?

spozen Wrote:Edit:
About the new Alsa, does this solve my DTS music problem or was this ment to dave?

No, it's a general announcement. It's for everybody Big Grin
Regerding DTS audio. It's not a soundcard, but seems to be a codec issue, or....
I didn't install your mini iso.... so that might be the problem.. Running the standard Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid system.

Edit: So if i already installed Alsa xxxx xx 18 and download the new alsa will this fuck everything up? Rolleyes

I think i will make a dedicated thread about the DTS music problem.

Thanks!
olympia Wrote:Yes, flashing cursor for 2 seconds, than XBMC come back immedietely. There is no text lines for sure. However I don't have any addon card, even not hdd and any DVD drive. I installed XBMC to flash drive.

What do you have on the top of the board?

I have a 320gb Seagate, Sata DVD-Writer and that;s it. I am really wondering if there is something funky in my SVN build as I am not getting any DVD playback from the server, I get a playlist aborted error, First time for this in a long time.

I just purged the SVN completely and I going to try a ppa version.

Dave
spozen Wrote:I didn't install your mini iso.... so that might be the problem.. Running the standard Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid system.
Surely this is the problem. In this way, GDM and gnome (as a window manager) is installed. So yes, X window system starts twice. One for gnome and one for XBMC. Do you use this computer for other purposes as well? That is the reason you didn't choose mini.iso?

spozen Wrote:Edit: So if i already installed Alsa xxxx xx 18 and download the new alsa will this fuck everything up? Rolleyes

I would say no, your ALSA 1.0.18a should be upgraded to 1.0.19 after you run the script. But I never test that!!!
rodercot Wrote:I have a 320gb Seagate, Sata DVD-Writer and that;s it. I am really wondering if there is something funky in my SVN build as I am not getting any DVD playback from the server, I get a playlist aborted error, First time for this in a long time.

I will add a DVD drive to try. I strongly beleive that there is something weird with ODDs with this board.

rodercot Wrote:I just purged the SVN completely and I going to try a ppa version.

PPA version don't include the auto adjust refresh rate, yet. If you don't need that, you can give it a try. Or compile from older SVN version which you surely know working...
This guide looks like exactly what I have been looking for. I have an Intel DG45FC mini ITX board so I can't use the current XBMC Live built on 8.04.

Your guide includes the download of nVidia drivers and I am wondering if I'll need to find Intel drivers for my board or if they will be installed automatically from the Mini CD. Ubuntu 8.10 supports my motherboard from a full install without needing to download additional drivers but, being the linux newbie that I am, I'm not sure that will happen automatically using the mini cd.

Anyone know?

Thanks again for a well documented guide... I'm hoping it'll get my HTPC going Smile
rodercot Wrote:Olympia,

Have you tried to build a MythTV backend on this setup yet.

I guess it would just be to dwnld myth and setup the backend and then create the video source in XBMC with local host 127.0.0.1 or the like.

I have not done it this way so any ideas would be great.

is there a sudo apt-get install for myth or do we have to dwnld and build from source.

Thanks,

Dave

For just the backend:
Code:
sudo apt-get install mythtv-backend
For client and server:
Code:
sudo apt-get install mythtv
This is for version 0.21+fixes.

I'm considering building 0.22 SVN and launching the frontend from XBMC for playing live tv / recordings so I can take advantage of VDPAU. The mythtv wiki page showing how to build from source is here --> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Ubuntu-8.10_Source_Install. Be sure to add "--enable-vdpau --enable-opengl-vsync" to "./configure" in the mythtv directory if you plan to use it.
mythmaster Wrote:For just the backend:
Code:
sudo apt-get install mythtv-backend
For client and server:
Code:
sudo apt-get install mythtv
This is for version 0.21+fixes.

I'm considering building 0.22 SVN and launching the frontend from XBMC for playing live tv / recordings so I can take advantage of VDPAU. The mythtv wiki page showing how to build from source is here --> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Ubuntu-8.10_Source_Install. Be sure to add "--enable-vdpau --enable-opengl-vsync" to "./configure" in the mythtv directory if you plan to use it.

Does it matter which version we build for using XBMC as the frontend.

Dave
Thanks for another great guide! You are really helping a lot of people with your excellent guides.
No wait! #¤%&/&% you i mean! Now I have to reinstall my perfectly good setup just to gain another feature I dont need ;-)
Best regards
Oscar
When I use the mini CD to install Linux to a usb flash drive, it won't boot afterwards... I have used this flash drive to boot Ubuntu Live and XBMC Live so I know it isn't a problem with the stick. I'm wondering if I need to setup the partitions in a special way during install...

Sad
rodercot Wrote:Does it matter which version we build for using XBMC as the frontend.

Dave

Nope. Smile

Unless I'm wrong...Huh
i added these things to my install (maybe they'll be useful to anyone else):
edit grub options change the following not to wait
Code:
# sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst
find timeout = 3 and change it to timeout = 0

set static IP
Code:
# sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces

and update it to
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.4
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1

then

Code:
# sudo nano /etc/resolv.conf

and update it to

Code:
# Generated by NetworkManager
nameserver 192.168.1.1

then reboot
Zitheral Wrote:When I use the mini CD to install Linux to a usb flash drive, it won't boot afterwards... I have used this flash drive to boot Ubuntu Live and XBMC Live so I know it isn't a problem with the stick. I'm wondering if I need to setup the partitions in a special way during install...

Sad

when it gives you the cursor type cli and it will boot. Sorry, This is you are booting for the first time from the minicd, I have not installed it to a usb drive to test this way.

Dave
I am wondering if anyone has had any success passing 6-channel LPCM over HDMI on the ASUS P5N7A-VM with the latest ALSA 1.0.19. I am hoping this is possible because of this from the ALSA Changelog found here
Quote:- ALSA: hda: HDMI channel allocations for audio infoframe
To play a 3+ channels LPCM/DSD stream via HDMI,
- HDMI sink must tell HDMI source about its speaker placements
(via ELD, speaker-allocation field)
- HDMI source must tell the HDMI sink about channel allocation
(via audio infoframe, channel-allocation field)
(related docs: HDMI 1.3a spec section 7.4, CEA-861-D section 7.5.3 and 6.6)
This patch attempts to set the CA(channel-allocation) byte in the audio infoframe
according to
- the number of channels in the current stream
- the speakers attached to the HDMI sink
A channel_allocations[] line must meet the following two criteria to be
considered as a valid candidate for CA:
1) its number of allocated channels = substream->runtime->channels
2) its speakers are a subset of the available ones on the sink side
If there are multiple candidates, the first one is selected. This simple
policy shall cheat the sink into playing music, but may direct data to the
wrong speakers.
Anybody followed this guide with an ASUS P5N7A-VM willing to try this out for me with a 6-Channel FLAC file perhaps?
mythmaster Wrote:Nope. Smile

Unless I'm wrong...Huh
(Referring to using XBMC UI with mythbackend versions 0.21+fixes & 0.22)

Update: I know it works with 0.21+fixes, and I can't imagine why you'd want to try it with 0.22 SVN, but I'll give it a try and let you know. As I mentioned before, the whole reason for using 0.22 SVN is to utilize VDPAU, which requires launching mythfrontend separately from XBMC.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) and 8.10 (Intrepid)10