• 44(current)
[LINUX] HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) and 8.10 (Intrepid)
theuni Wrote:pyrates-

The team does not support svn builds in any way. They should be considered unstable and broken. We do stable releases for a reason. If you'd like to throw together an unofficial guide that's fine.

There are several guides on the wiki for compiling a SVN build. But this is hardly the same as installing a release on a htpc. We appreciate people who can build from SVN and submit quality bug reports. But to be frank, if users need a handholding guide to compile XBMC, maybe that's not the road they should take.

I appreciate the enthusiasm, but it would be nice if this could just be an accepted change. It's not us vs. you. We just want to see the most users have the best possible experience with XBMC.

TheUni

For me with the official release from when I tried it in October 2008, the sound wasn't working and it had no vdpau support. That's why I went with the svn build. Seems those were already fixed at that point. Plus I'm happy to submit bug reports and feature requests as since I can't implement them but want them, it's the best way I found of doing it. Plus I don't have to wait until the next official release, it's mainly fixed in an svn build which isn't nearly as long a wait.
theuni Wrote:There are several guides on the wiki for compiling a SVN build. But this is hardly the same as installing a release on a htpc. We appreciate people who can build from SVN and submit quality bug reports. But to be frank, if users need a handholding guide to compile XBMC, maybe that's not the road they should take.

Most of the time, when someone reports a bug, the devs say 'Try the latest SVN'. Althekiller thinks the Olympia's install guide doesn't explain enough about 'why' you are doing a step. theuni thinks that experienced users shouldn't need a guide.

This all boils down to:
Olympia's guide was very useful for experienced users!!

xnappo
xnappo Wrote:Most of the time, when someone reports a bug, the devs say 'Try the latest SVN'. Althekiller thinks the Olympia's install guide doesn't explain enough about 'why' you are doing a step. theuni thinks that experienced users shouldn't need a guide.

This all boils down to:
Olympia's guide was very useful for experienced users!!

xnappo

Documentation is always useful no matter how obscure it may be or simplistic it may seem. I use to never create any documentation and would store it all in my head. And it always came back to bite me later on. Now anything that I've previously fixed or found a way around it, I make sure it is written down. So anything that at least one person may find useful should always be kept. You should never assume that because one person understands it, everyone automatically does.

I know with programmers that if they are currently working on a project, everything can be in their head. But if they come back to that project years later, and there was no documentation, it will seem like a mess. And any documentation even if it's not useful to you at the time, should always be documented.

Also, the guide was questioned many times by the xbmc dev's on what needed to be changed to make it better. What should be taken out, etc. But no response was ever given except for its complete removal. The problem at the time was that Ubuntu's 8.04 and 8.10's version of alsa did not work with xbmc. It had to be upgraded. Those versions were also never going to get a newer version of alsa, so the claim of it breaking apt-get is false.

I had given a suggestion to instead of downloading scripts, put the contents of them in a code window:

Quote:like this

But that wasn't carried out either. I myself couldn't do that because I wasn't allowed to edit the wiki entry. So I could only make suggestions to improve it but even then the xbmc dev's didn't like that either it seems.
I'm sick of this rantfest. Put on your foil hats guys.
  • 44(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) and 8.10 (Intrepid)10