• 1(current)
Newest builds won't even load (crash on startup)
I tried 17241 or whatever the last one jester uploaded was, and it won't even start after installing. I went back to 17003 and it works fine. In addition as I stated before, there was a problem with background images "cycling" very fast, as if i was holding down a key and cycling through 3 images very fast.

MY system is as follows:
Q6600 @ 2.4ghz
EVGA 260 SSC running 181.22 WHQL's from nvidias site, i never use windows update

8GB PC6400 ram dual channel
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L v2 MB
Vista x64

As stated, everything was working fine in 17003 and previous builds but when I came back from a business trip and tried to install (uninstall and then install new version) of more recent 17241 and 17242 builds, they won't even load, just get a "windows error" screen and close out.
is it just me or do the latest builds (17300) crash as soon as xbmc launches? Im using vista, intel G35 board with latest drivers.
this is hapening very often with new builds still haven't been able to figure out what is causing it.

everytime i install new build clean it simply fails with application needs to be closed, only way to get it running is to install older build, and then on top of the older build install new build.
funny thing is....

i reinstalled the gfx drivers, rebooted and it worked.
Then i rebooted again and it stopped working... cant get it to work at all anymore.
I believe this is an old bug, one I post long ago...
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5435

It changes the resolution it is trying to display at... and when it does not match what you have set your Windows OS res to it crashes immediately. (in the past it would display an incorrect resolution)

Workaround... copy your old GUISETTINGS.XML over the new one it creates/updates.

Also, set your logging to Debug and it might show something... then post an update to the Trac bug I submitted and maybe someone will fix it.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
It would be nice to know what is causing these.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I'm running xbmc on a dual display mode (1680*1050 and 1280*720) and these latest builds crash when i try to run xbmc on my 2nd display (1280*720).
I'm using ultramon to do the switch. Builds 17031 and older work fine.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
This was happening to myself using jesters builds. It would run the first time but subsequent runs would crash out on start.

The latest jester build (17423) seems to have fixed it for me (after 10 minutes playing of exitting and starting it again)
how come people post in your thread but not mine.... weird

Anything past 17003 crashes right off the bat as soon as I click the icon, i haven't tried super recent builds but anything up to 17241 or thereabouts crashes. I'll try recent builds and see if it works for me as well. I'm currently back on 17003.
Don't bother with the 17423 build as a fix, I thought it solved the problem but was wrong.

I'm not getting immediate crashes, mine happen after I run it once and use it to watch a show, if I exit it after that and re-launch XBMC it crashes on startup.

If you're using the Intel G35 chipset then I'm guessing you have the GMA X3500 graphics card where as mine is ATi.

You're using an Intel processor and I'm using AMD.

You're running Vista and I'm running XP.

It seems to show pretty heavily that the bug is somewhere in the XBMC for Windows port.

What I would suggest is that if you install the 17423 build, when it crashes if you bring up the more information dialogue and copy+paste all the the microsoft debug log stuff here:
http://xbmc.pastebin.com/

If you also then open up the windows event log and post that information.

I will do exactly the same with the same build but on my hardware running XP and hopefully the dev's will be able to see a match with whatever call or function is causing the problems.

Seri
What is in the XBMC log is more interesting to us.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

It hangs on loading guisettings.xml, see the ticket:
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5435
I have never been able to enable debug logging since it crashes on startup.
But now that I know what causes it, I can enable it, switch to a "bad" guisetting.xml and provide the log if you think it will help.
It would most certainly be useful.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Forgot to mention I was away from the affected machine, otherwise I would have done it immediately.
But, I have since upgraded the build and XBMC does not crash with the file any more.
I will do this if the problem resurfaces.
for me it only crashes if i try to run it on my normal pc monitor. when i switch to my tv it starts just fine.
log also ends at guisettings loading...
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Newest builds won't even load (crash on startup)1