xbmc auto start at the login,is there a way to cancle it?
i follow the instruction http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=44019
but when i reboot,there is only a xbmc,not the ubuntu.no menu no icon,and when the xbmc is closed .i was pushed back to the login ui,what can i doShocked
yc0576 Wrote:i follow the instruction http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=44019
but when i reboot,there is only a xbmc,not the ubuntu.no menu no icon,and when the xbmc is closed .i was pushed back to the login ui,what can i doShocked

If you followed that tutorial then you installed the base version of Ubuntu 8.10 intrepid. This installs only the needed files, no gdm, no gnome, no menu's etc... It is a command line version.

when you exit xbmc you are returned to the shell at the login tyoe your username and password this will log you into the shell and you can then do what what you want with the OS but it will command line based.

You can also access the file system from FTP (gui from a windows machine or a linux workstation) Filezilla is a good ftp program. You also can use ssh a good program for this is putty, which allows you to run command lines on your xbmc machine from your windows desktop.

That is the way the tutorial you followed works. If You want a desktop version of Ubuntu with all the bell and whistles, you will need to dwnld the Ubuntu 8.10 Livecd img from ubuntu.com for your cpu

i386 = intel
64 = amd

then reinstall everything again. This is the easiest you could try and install gdm from the command line if you want to but I have not had much success with that so someone else will need you guide you through that.

Dave
Umm just a quick correction

Quote:i386 = intel
64 = amd

i386 is 32bit AMD is 64bit and runs just fine on Intel CPUs just as i386 runs fine on AMD CPUs. The difference here is 32 vs 64 bit and for XBMC as a dedicated machine you are FAAAR better off running i386 32bit!
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
"AMD is 64bit"?

Huh?

I386 is a Intel CPU, i dont exactly know all the facts about this but this means it's compataible with this CPU and higher. Yes it's a 32 bit CPU.

Maybe someone who knows this better can explain.

32 bit & 64 bit are computer architectures.

Wow i really suck at explaining stuff..... Can someone please explain this better?
Downloading and reinstalling with the desktop version is by far the easiest solution.

The reason for the names i386 and AMD64:

Intel's i386 processor was the first PC processor to have the 32 bit instruction set. Every pc made in the last 20 years or so supports this instruction set.

AMD, the company, designed the 64 bit instruction set used in PC's and called it AMD64, intel has adopted it into their PC processors.

Intel also has its own 64 bit instruction set called IA64 meant for servers and supercomputers running on the itanium platform.
So in other words if yuo want to run 64bit instruction Linux on either AMD or Intel you run the AMD version of Linux. If you want 32bit on either CPU manufacturer you run the i386 version. Yes, it's confusing if you hadn't followed the development of this stuff years ago. <shrug>
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
gdm as both autologin and timeout usability.
means you can let your user autologin to xbmc, but set gdm to wait f.e. 3 or 5 seconds for mousemovement or keypress.
that way you can boot up your fav. wm.
Not sure if this answers your question.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc auto start at the login,is there a way to cancle it?1