TheTVDB.com Scraper absolute_number for Anime?
Great idea I did not think of going that route. Over the last month I have been working on a script to rename tv series using TheTVDB. It is working out very well, but still has a few cases it does not catch.

What problems did you have with anidb.net? I was considering looking into writing a scraper for it as well as using it as the source for my renaming program.
Keep in mind also that renaming files is often not an option for some users. Torrents require grouped file names to be absolute. Also some torrent sites require file names stay true to their originals released by the group. I wouldn't mind "renaming" the entry that is shown by XBMC but I would definitely have to either, be able to select multiple episodes at once, or select a folder and apply all in a recursive manner.

I would use this, it would also be nice to create thumbnails for each episode at that time too.
I can understand that some users may not want to rename the files. I also think any torrent group "requiring" torrent names to stay the same is laughable. Once I have the file downloaded I will do as I please and they have no clue what's going on.

If it was possible to inform XBMC of the information through a property setting or some other manner that would be a great idea and easy to implement.

Sorry I did not mean to take this thread away from it's original intent, but to finish answering your question. The project I was working on currently functions by looking into a folder and parsing out data from the file name then doing a lookup of that data and for most things named in the manner of [group] Series name # (info).avi as long as it has Series name followed by a # it will automatically detect it for you and rename it and move it to a folder with the series name as the folder name. For anything else in say the format of .. let me find a real example.. "[Eclipse] Code Geass - Lelouch of the Rebellion R2 - 01 (XviD) [43EEA862].avi" The program will bring you to an interface where it parse out all data and seperates it and will present you with a list of the data as follows
"Eclipse
Code
Geass.. etc

you then would select from the list Code Geass and it would rename all episodes that are in the format of that episode and grab the episodes numbers. So if i have the entire season of code geass I must only tell the parser one time what words to use for the name, unless of course each episode was taken from a different source and the name formatting is different.

Now to return you to your scheduled program.

I love the automated absolute numbering idea.
Right ... to keep up with what I said previously ...

I modified 'again' Wink the tvdb.xml scraper.

Previously my changes to use absolute_numbers with a single season (1) were ignoring seasons 00 (Specials) and other seasons ...

With tonight changes when the "Absolute_Numbering" options is checked :
-All episodes with and 'absolute_number' are returned to XBMC as S01Exxx
-AND episodes WITHOUT 'absolute_number' are also returned as SxxxEyyy (which allows single season serie to be tagged and specials to be tagged too )

The Patch Ticket has been created Wink

Now to answser thing that were said ...
*concerning anidb.net scraper ... I have a fully working scraper at home ... BUT they do not allow scraping their website ... so you can use it but after a certain number of accesses ... you get banned for 24h ... which is not something I call practical for every users. Moreover, Anidb do not provide a easy API ... from my point of view, I would need to code a xmlAPI-to-anidbUDPAIP ... but I would be the only entry point ... therefore, A nice SPOF, and regarding the anidb rules (once again) I would be banned every day ... Sad Finally, anidb does not provide the marvellous icons, banners, poster and fanart TVDB provides.

*The problem of renaming files ... well I got over it using the magical "rename" command under linux and its wonderfull regexp function Wink Renaming all my Naruto files took me about 30 seconds ... and this has no price Wink

*I'm glad my changes can be usefull for people ... This is actually my first commit to an open source project ... and it feel great Wink
For example ... the changes allow Cowboy bebop anime to be nicely tagged even with the "absolute_numbering" option active Wink

I actually wonder if this option is really needed ... what happens if a scraper return several times the same episode ?

What would happen if absolute_numbered episode AND normal episodes were returned all the time ?

I guess (ok it's 2am here in France) I shouldn't be a problem ... I have to test this Wink
It could really be classy to have such an automatic thing ! no ?
goku31640 Wrote:Sweet. I dont know if you read my comment before you posted that, but if you did then... alright I contributed a little to xbmc Smile

If not then Sad

But thanks for the Great work absolute numbering was a much needed addition to the scraper (i'm surprised it wasn't in there before)

Sorry ... I was planning this after releasing the first absolute_numbering system Wink I felt bad to check/unchek the option for some anime that had only 1 season, and which was not tagged with absolute_numbers.

But hey ... I really glad to see that I'm not the only one thinking this way Big Grin
acaranta Wrote:Sorry ... I was planning this after releasing the first absolute_numbering system Wink I felt bad to check/unchek the option for some anime that had only 1 season, and which was not tagged with absolute_numbers.

But hey ... I really glad to see that I'm not the only one thinking this way Big Grin

I love this addition, a couple of my anime shows did not have absolute numbers on tvdb, but they make it so easy to add them, that I was up and running in about 10 minutes. I was able to add all of the absolute numbers to initial D in about 5 minutes, and GTO in about 3 minutes.
goku31640 Wrote:I love this addition, a couple of my anime shows did not have absolute numbers on tvdb, but they make it so easy to add them, that I was up and running in about 10 minutes. I was able to add all of the absolute numbers to initial D in about 5 minutes, and GTO in about 3 minutes.

Do you know btw if there is a way to add absolute_number in a easy way other than clicking every episodes via the web interface ?

Concerning dragon bal, for instance, that will be incredibly long ... Wink
acaranta Wrote:Do you know btw if there is a way to add absolute_number in a easy way other than clicking every episodes via the web interface ?

Concerning dragon bal, for instance, that will be incredibly long ... Wink

No I dont, the reason its a little bit easier for me, is because my mouse has an auto scroll and click, so i set it to automatically scroll down the page and click in a certain spot so all i have to do is click then enter the number and click then enter the number etc.

I have dragonball and dragonball z, but i decided to leave those as is, because first of all there are way too many episodes, secondly I believe the japanese version has more episodes (i could be wrong though).
If you really want to, theres 15 seasons. I could knock out about 3 season maybe you could do a few and if someone else lends a hand we could get them all done a lot quicker Smile
Any update on this at all?
Well the patch has been submitted last week ... But the team, I guess, have a social life I guess ... so It will be applied one day Wink

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5860

Just have to wait or try the scraper which is attached to the patch ticket.
I just downloaded the tvdb.xml, but its not working the way it should for me. It works exactly like before but it still doesnt get my season 0 episodes.

they are named
Naruto 0x04 - It's the Snow Princess Ninja Arts' Book! (Movie 1)
etc.
Any Ideas?
ah I had this problem too on my "production" XBMC while I wasn't getting this error on the "developpement" XBMC...

The only thing I can think of is that I changed internally the name on the variable that is used to switch between absolute to normal ...

I managed to correct it by re-scanning the whole source.

However, it might lose some info ... such as viewed episodes ... but I'm not sure of this point.
How difficult would it be to alter absolute number so that it simply used absolute number to find the episode. Then correctly fetched into the library the actual season #s etc. This would help save scrolling in some of the longer series.
I'm willing to figure it out if its actually possible.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TheTVDB.com Scraper absolute_number for Anime?2