Navigate and SlideShow Pictures is very very slow
Hi out there,

first excuse my horrible english. Now to my problem. I searched this forum an the web for an answer but i found none.

On my QNAP NAS is a SMB Share which named PICTURES. In this folder there are different Subfolders e. g. VACATION. Inside this folder there are more than 1.500 pictures. Each about 2 megs size.

When i connect from my notebook to this share and browse the pictures it goes extremly fast. It takes only 1 second to change between the pictues in slideshow mode.

On my ATV 2.2 with XBMC 8.1 bf1 and launcher 2.3 the first reaction an my click to open the VACATION folder takes about 3 minutes. Starting a Slideshow takes about a Minute and the change of the pictures in an slidshow 20 seconds. When i try this with an folder with 10 pictures its the same effect!

This whole process takes to long. Is there a way to speed it up!?

Thanx in advance.

Efty
Search for "statfiles" and you will find a couple of posts made by myself and an example how to activate that parameter.
@Krieg

Thanx for your quick reply. I found one post about 'statfiles' in all the xbmc forums. So i created a advancedsettings.xml with following content ...

<advancedsettings>
<skiploopfilter>8</skiploopfilter>
<samba>
<statfiles>false</statfiles>
</samba>
</advancedsettings>

and placed it in

/users/library/application support/xbmc/userdata on my Apple TV.

Then i rebooted the atv and tested the access speed. Same problem as before. Did you have another idea!?

Efty
- Log in your NAS and try to check basic things, check (with top) what happens when you try to access the the data, if the smb (samba) processes are overloading the CPU or something weird

- Transfer a big file from the NAS to the ATV (it does not matter the protocol, whatever you can use, ftp/scp/nfs/smb) and measure transfer speeds

- Activate logs in XBMC and upload the log file in any pastebin service.
@Krieg

Thanx for your advice. It seems to be a NAS Problem. The CPU load was about 100 %. I trie to fix it with the latest Qnap beta.

Efty
That still sounds like the problem I had and I fixed with the statfiles parameter.

Upload the logs somewhere.

What's the result of the other tests? Transfer speed?
efty, I've checked everything thoroughly with my configuration and found out that there is one faulty element - Qnap TS-209 II Pro. I'm using the same one and both pictures navigating & slideshows are fine when I share those at my Asus VX3 laptop via DraftN WiFi. When I try to browse ABSOLUTELY the same folder located at my NAS and connected to my LAN via gigabit link everything is veeeery slow.

Qnap NAS does also have TwonkyMedia onboard, but it's also terribly slow and does not solve the problem.

So right now the only way to get smooth slideshow with neat pictures is to export those from Picasa to the shared folder on laptop or put 'em directly to ATV local folder.

PS: I'ts very pity that XBMC has an iPhoto support and does NOT have Picasa support at the moment Sad
I also have a QNAP TS-209 Pro II and have exactly the same issue. I have lots of Pictures on my NAS and when i try to play them on the XBMC using both 54g wireless and gb-wired connection, it impossible to play or open the pictures using smb.
Sad 
On my old Xbox with xbmc, large pictures show fine and acts responsively.
Even slideshow works well!

Unfortunately my Apple TV 1 with Sam's image (thanks Sam), slideshow isn't working well with the bigger images. (5184x3456)
The slideshow shows the first picture but skips the second by showing a black screen. It's very slow too...
This even happens when I play from the internal disk, so it's not a nas problem with me.

Is this a know issue? Does anyone else have the same problem?

Djgodlike

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Navigate and SlideShow Pictures is very very slow0