• 6(current)
Win HOW-TO setup the original Xbox DVD remote the correct way with EventGhost
First I would like to thank Chunk_1970 for this nice and excellent tutorial. My original XboX remote now works on my HTPC.

But still I have one important question here to ask. How to make a remote arrow / cursor keys more responsive. For example when listing through Shoutcast directories or listing through movie library, this performs quite slow in comparison to when I used it on my XboX. Is it there any way to make these keys on the remote more responsive? Do I need to use some other application?

thank you for your answers,
cau d.
Hi,
i installed these drivers on my win 7 64 bit:
http://www.acidapple.com/veube/xbcdrc_x64.zip

i signed them with the Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider and installed them in windows 7 test mode, and they installed properly... but my remote did not work, can someone tell me what i have to do?

greets
Doc_H
Does anyone know how to get the Xbox Media Center remote (the one with more buttons) to work with EG and the plugins available? Seems the XP driver for the standard Xbox remote doesn't support the extra IR commands available with the MC Remote though the XBMCRepeater plugin supports them. When you hit those buttons, EG recognizes them but brings up an error in the log. I suppose a new driver would need to be written, not sure. I just got this up and running yesterday. Thanks for any replies.
In order to get my DVD menu to work correctly I had to map the 'menu' key on my remote to two actions in EventGhost:

PreviousMenu
OSD

It seems to work normally now.

Is this the correct way to do this? Any problems that I haven't forseen?

I am trying to emulate the exact behavior that the Xbox remote has under Xbox.

-Wes
In order to get my DVD menu to work correctly I had to map the 'menu' key on my remote to two actions in EventGhost:

PreviousMenu
OSD

Is it correct to map both of these functions to the same button?

Could there be a problem that I haven't forseen?

I am trying to emulate the behavior of the 'menu' button on the Xbox build.

-Wes
is anybody else getting a "USB device not recognized error"? i have the IR receiver plugged into a XBOX extension cord that i spliced a USB end to the end. i have done this before with the controller so i could mod my XBOX but it isnt working now. i have no idea what i am doing wrong.
Question 
Hi,

I'm looking for some help please - I've had "some" success, but cannot get the remote working.

I have tried the following OS's & apps:
- Win 7 x64, installed x64 driver, installed EG (Latest), XBMCRepeater & XBMCRC.
- Win XP sp3 x32, installed x32 driver, EG (Latest), XBMCRepeater & XBMCRC.
- the EG xbmc.xml file supplied in post 1 of this thread.
- xbox ir dongle is re-configured to plug into usb hub & is 'seen' by windows.

I've followed several different methods throughout this thread, all with no luck.

Success with:
I have had success in regards to installing drivers on both OS's, I can start EG & it finds the Xbox IR usb module ok (on x32 & x64).
I can plug/unplug the Xbox IR adapter & windows acknowledges this (ding ding sound).

ISSUE:
However, when I start XBMC (current nightly build), the remote does not function.

Now, if I plug my xbox ir receiver back into my xbox & start up, xbmc works fine, so this shows the IR & remote are both working ok.

Any assistance would be most appreciated. To me it seems that it's either a driver issue or some issue I've got with how I've setup EG.

Thanks in advance.

UPDATE & RESULT!

OK, looks like I stuffed up my soldering work & one of the IR wires has disconnected after soldering (I removed the IR sensor from the PCB with about 20cm wire to give me options for placement).
All good in the hood.

Now all I need to do is get a handle on how to map my Logitech 855 keys to windows & XBMC so I can fire up FireFox & navigate it (back/forward & bookmarks).

Thanks for the great tutorial. Smile
I'm using it along with Eventghost and have it working. It's not flawless by any means.
Question 
Hi,

1st off - Sorry if this has been asked 100x, I simply can't find a clear answer.

I have been reading through this forum & the logitech one, but cannot seem to get my head clear on this because I don't quite get if my xbox ir receiver can act (receive) MCE keyboard cmds & then which key mapping app to use.

OK, so I was able to get my xbox remote control & xbox IR sensor working on my winXP htpc. (was not so lucky with Win7, so switched back to xp)

I then wanted to get my Logitech Harmony 885 working, so I added a XBOX device to it, had some success, but not all the keys on the 885 map correctly or are in use. I was still better off using the xbox remote. I also played around with EG & my keymap.xml to try & make up for this lack of keys with limited success.

I've tried using EventGhost & XBCDRC & IRXBOX key mapping environments, all with various levels of success. I've also modified my keyboard.xml to add some functionality, but still no dice in getting the 885 to use a wider range of keys.

So I would like to know:
1. Can you setup the Logitech 885 with the xbox IR receiver to have specific keys on the remote, maped to specific functions in XBMC?

2. Will I need to use EG or XBCDRC ir IRCBOX for this at all? Which one is best? EG seems strange some times & XBCDRC has limited keys.

3. Do I need to even modify the keyboard.xml or can I just use the "harmony.xml"?

I'm essentially looking to have the following buttons assigned:
- Red, Green, Yellow & Blue buttons assigned,
- plus the usual PLAY, STOP, FORWARD, BACK, PAUSE, SEEK Foward, SEEK Back etc etc.
- Plus some key for context (right click) menu's,
- Home screen,
- Each main screen (eg Movies, Music, Pics, Weather).
- Back button (up one level). etc etc.
- Info

Image Here of my remote & suggested keys:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/8TP...directlink

Thanks in advance.
I'm no expert on this, but I just set this up last night and i think i might be able to help a little.

MontyAus Wrote:OK, so I was able to get my xbox remote control & xbox IR sensor working on my winXP htpc. (was not so lucky with Win7, so switched back to xp)

I was able to get it working exactly as I wanted on win 7, so it is possible. Basically i had to allow unsigned drivers, install xbcdrc driver then install event ghost (plus any steps in the tutorial).

MontyAus Wrote:I then wanted to get my Logitech Harmony 885 working, so I added a XBOX device to it, had some success, but not all the keys on the 885 map correctly or are in use. I was still better off using the xbox remote. I also played around with EG & my keymap.xml to try & make up for this lack of keys with limited success.

That's good, that means that your xbcdrc driver is installed and working. Event ghost is getting all the "registerd" signals, as well ones that aren't registered with EG. In other words, all you have to do is register the commands and you're good:

1. Go to the plugin dir of EG (C:\Program Files\EventGhost\plugins\)
2. Open the XBMC plugin you are using (either XBCDRC or XBMCRepeat)
3. Open the __init__.py script.
4. Scroll down until you see something like:
Code:
self.xbcdrc_mapping = {
            '006d50a': 'DISPLAY', '0066a05': 'DISPLAY', '0066afd': 'DISPLAY',
            '006e20a': 'REVERSE', '00671f5': 'REVERSE', '006710d': 'REVERSE',
            '006ea0a': 'PLAY', '00675f5': 'PLAY', '006750d': 'PLAY',
            '006e30a': 'FORWARD', '0067105': 'FORWARD', '00671fd': 'FORWARD',
            '006dd0a': 'SKIP-', '0066e05': 'SKIP-', '0066efd': 'SKIP-',
            '0064f0a': 'AUDIO',
            '006af0a': 'ENT.'

As you see those are the hex codes from the remote mapping them to XBCDRC commands.

5. Open up EG so you can see the log.
6. Press one of the keys that gave an error. It'll give an error then the hex code for the signal it didn't understand (like 006ac0a).
7. All you have to do, for each button that doesn't work, press it, see what the hex code is, then add it to the file like:
Code:
'006ac0a': 'Advance',
Make sure all the lines have a ',' (comma) after them except for the last one. In this example "Advance" is what EG will now recognize the button as

8. Restart event ghost, and watch it now have a name for the keys you just set up.

9. Configure EG to apply whatever action you need for the new buttons.

To specifically answer your questions:
1. Yes, with the instructions above.
2. I don't know about IRCBOX, but XBCDRC works for everything i need. With my harmony 620 with the "XBOX" controller lets me set up almost 50 different buttons (at least), which is enough for me. I've read you can set up other devices like "RCA Universal Remote" and that may give you even more buttons.
3. I don't think so, all i had to do was modify the EG script and use the commands already provided by either XBCDRC or XBMCRepeat.

Final Note: On my harmony the page up, skip forward and channel up all did the same thing. Seemed like a big waste of valuable buttons. At first they were all configured to the same command in the harmony software, so i changed so each had their own like "pg down, skip +, chanelnext". That did NOT work! They still sent the same exact signal. Frustrating at first. What I ended up doing was using all those extra buttons that i'd never use, so my mappings were more like this:

Up arrow (on remote) = "Page up" (in harmony) = XBCDRC.Skip+ (in EG) mapped to "Page up"
Chanel up = "Zoom" = XBCDRC.Zoom mapped to "Queue"

I had to write this quick so let me know if there is anything you're not clear on. If you need me to i can post my final __init__.py script.

Thanks.
Question 
Hi & Thanks very much for the reply.

Couple more questions.

Are you setting up your Harmony as a "xbox remote" device or something else?
for example my channel up/down don't do anything, so what I'm getting at is that the keys are inactive so i'm assuming I need to setup the Harmony in a way which tells those specific harmony keys to work - then I can map them a certain way.
Maybe your py script file would help?

Thanks
Yes I am using it as a "Microsoft Xbox Game console (With DVD)" remote. Mine too had a few buttons not configured, you have to go into the logitech config and customize buttons for the device. (See screen shot below)

One more tip... I recommend going into the Customize -> Adjust Delays and setting the Inter-key delay to 0. By default it was half a second (500ms) and going around the menus, scrolling and paging down felt sluggish. Now it's very responsive and feels a lot more like i'm using a keyboard or something.

Customizing buttons: Image

Here is my entire mapping, and as you can see in the pic above, I used those added mappings that didn't do anything to implement stuff like channel up...
Code:
self.xbcdrc_mapping = {
            '006d50a': 'DISPLAY', '0066a05': 'DISPLAY', '0066afd': 'DISPLAY',
            '006e20a': 'REVERSE', '00671f5': 'REVERSE', '006710d': 'REVERSE',
            '006ea0a': 'PLAY', '00675f5': 'PLAY', '006750d': 'PLAY',
            '006e30a': 'FORWARD', '0067105': 'FORWARD', '00671fd': 'FORWARD',
            '006dd0a': 'SKIP-', '0066e05': 'SKIP-', '0066efd': 'SKIP-',
            '006e00a': 'STOP', '00670f5': 'STOP', '006700d': 'STOP',
            '006e60a': 'PAUSE', '00673f5': 'PAUSE', '006730d': 'PAUSE',
            '006df0a': 'SKIP+', '0066f05': 'SKIP+', '0066ffd': 'SKIP+',
            '006e50a': 'TITLE', '0067205': 'TITLE', '00672fd': 'TITLE',
            '006c30a': 'INFO', '0066105': 'INFO', '00661fd': 'INFO',
            '006a60a': 'UP', '00653f5': 'UP', '006530d': 'UP',
            '006a70a': 'DOWN', '0065305': 'DOWN', '00653fd': 'DOWN',
            '006a90a': 'LEFT', '0065405': 'LEFT', '00654fd': 'LEFT',
            '006a80a': 'RIGHT', '00654f5': 'RIGHT', '006540d': 'RIGHT',
            '0060b0a': 'SELECT', '0060505': 'SELECT', '00605fd': 'SELECT',
            '006f70a': 'MENU', '0067b05': 'MENU', '0067bfd': 'MENU',
            '006d80a': 'BACK', '0066cf5': 'BACK', '0066c0d': 'BACK',
            '006ce0a': '1', '00667f5': '1', '006670d': '1',
            '006cd0a': '2', '0066605': '2', '00666fd': '2',
            '006cc0a': '3', '00666f5': '3', '006660d': '3',
            '006cb0a': '4', '0066505': '4', '00665fd': '4',
            '006ca0a': '5', '00665f5': '5', '006650d': '5',
            '006c90a': '6', '0066405': '6', '00664fd': '6',
            '006c80a': '7', '00664f5': '7', '006640d': '7',
            '006c70a': '8', '0066305': '8', '00663fd': '8',
            '006c60a': '9', '00663f5': '9', '006630d': '9',
            '006cf0a': '0', '0066705': '0', '00667fd': '0',
            '0064f0a': 'AUDIO',
            '006af0a': 'ENT.',
            '006d100': 'LT',
            '006890a': 'LAST',
            '006c000': 'MUTE',
            '006e70a': 'A*B',
            '006f90a': 'EXIT',
            '0067f0a': 'D',
            '006e80a': 'REC',
            '006a50a': '3D',
            '006ac0a': 'Advance',
            '0068a0a': 'Angle',
            '006b30a': 'DISCSKIP',
            '006fa0a': 'HDMI',
            '006b80a': 'INPUTNEXT',
            '006c501': 'INPUTVCR',
            '006bf0a': 'OPENDV',
            '006c500': 'PWROFF',
            '006c50a': 'PWRON',
            '006b50a': 'RANDOM',
            '0066b0a': 'REPEAT',
            '006450a': 'REPLAY',
            '0066f0a': 'ZOOM'            
        }
mrpreston Wrote:hi all,, i have used these drivers on vistax64, however when i try to use them in windows 7 x64 i get "A service installation section in this INF is invalid"
do you or maybe someone else on the scene know how i can possible edit the driver or point me in a direction to solve my problem,, thanks

btw i have done all the nesessary prereqs like disabling driver signing
and like i said i have had this working on vista x64 Huh

It's trying to load the driver from Windows\System32\drivers and failing. Just copy your sys file (xbcdrc.sys) to Windows\System32\drivers and it will install just fine.

PS. I also changed the driver file case in the INF file to lowercase to match the actual driver file. I did that first, but it didn't work until I copied it to the drivers folder. It may not matter.
This works great with my windows 7 setup and Harmony One Remote- Thanks so much!

Question. How can I setup extra commands? For example I want to setup a "Next Picture" or "Music Screen" button on the Harmony One remote screen. In the past I would find an unused remote code (using advancedsettings.xml to display on the screen) and use the keymap.xml to run the command. I could even start a playlist. But now I'm not sure how all this works with EG and xbmc on windows. Any help would be great.

Thanks
Hi !
I followed the tutorial in the first page and it works great !
I have 2 questions I can't find an answer :
1- Is there a tutorial that explain how to use the original XBox remote to control MediaPlayerClassic HD through Evenghost ? Indeed I use the external player for HD-video. I added the MPC plugin in Evenghost but there must me a missing step as I can't use my remote to control MPC.

2- Is there a way to custom a button on the remote to change directly the language of the video, without doing it through the OSD.

Thanks for the help !
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO setup the original Xbox DVD remote the correct way with EventGhost3