• 11(current)
Win HOW-TO setup the original Xbox DVD remote the correct way with EventGhost
thank you Wes,
i'll continue to seach for a solution, if exists, or i use the remote in this way.
Peppe
Anyone still use this remote in Win7 64 bits with mce and xmbc Huh

The 64 bits drivers don't want to install at all ...

Subscribed this forum and following this thread just for that ...
I dont use this remote anymore I use the xbmc remote for android, on my phone. And I am using openelec instead of windows, so much easier.
parttimeplaya Wrote:I dont use this remote anymore I use the xbmc remote for android, on my phone. And I am using openelec instead of windows, so much easier.

Sad, I would love to use the first remote that the project supported ...
I followed these instructions with the win7 x64 drivers and had no luck. I then cut my losses and reinstalled windows 7, but 32 bit this time. Whaddya know? It worked with the normal drivers following the dseo instructions. In one of the forums someone said they thought that the issue might be with the nonstandard install location of 32bit programs under 64bit windows. Whatever the problem, unless you need more than 4BG of ram for your media center computer, 32bit seems like the best bet for Win7 + XBOX remote right now.
Firstly... Nice to see people still using "old" hardware Wink

Now, I've had this setup running on my PC (Win7 x64) before so I knew I could get it working... but I've just spent the afternoon having "some fun" getting it working again on my laptop (also Win7 x64).

Just in case it can be of use to anyone trying to get it running on Win7 x64, I'll detail what I did to get it all going:

Stuff required:

64bit drivers: http://www.acidapple.com/veube/xbcdrc_x64.zip (thanks of course goes to Veube for making these!)

Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider (DSEO): http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=dseo (required to get Win7 x64 to load the "unsigned" driver)

EventGhost: http://www.eventghost.org/ (what I'm using for picking up the IR controls and doing something useful with them... actually using it for driving Foobar2000 atm, as opposed to XBMC, but I have used it with XBMC previously)

Step-by-Step:

1. Extract the xbcdrc_x64.zip somewhere convenient (Note: this location for later!)

2. Then copy the xbcdrc.sys file into C:\Windows\System32\Drivers

3. Run DSEO. Select "Enable Test Mode" and then click "Next". You'll get a dialog confirming test mode has been enabled and telling you to reboot.

4. REBOOT YOUR COMPUTER!

5. Run DSEO again. This time select "Sign a System File" and then click "Next"

6. When prompted, enter "C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\xbcdrc.sys" (WITHOUT THE QUOTES!) into the dialog and click "OK". You should get a dialog saying signing was successful.

7. REBOOT YOUR COMPUTER!

8. Plug in your Xbox IR Dongle - Windows should install a USB Composite Device and fail on 2 "Unidentified Devices"

9. Goto Start->Devices and Printers

10. Double Click the "USB Composite Device" (it should have the little yellow ! triangle), then click the "Hardware" Tab. You'll see the USB Composite Device and 2 "Unknown Devices"

11. Select one of the "Unknown Devices" and click the Properties Button, then select the "Details" tab and set the "Property" dropdown, to "Hardware Ids".

You will see either:

USB\VID_045E&PID_0284&REV_0130&MI_01
USB\VID_045E&PID_0284&MI_01

or

USB\VID_045E&PID_0284&REV_0130&MI_00
USB\VID_045E&PID_0284&MI_00

If you have MI_01, this is the "GENERIC" remote device, you want the one that says MI_00, as this is the "Microsoft" remote device. If you got the GENERIC one, go back and select the other "Unknown Device" before continuing.

12. Select the "General" tab (still in the the "Unknown Device" Properties) and click the "Update Driver..." button

13. Select "Browse my computer for driver software"

14. Select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"

15. Select "Human Interface Devices" from the list and click "Next"

16. Ignore everything on this page and just click the "Have Disk..." button

17. Click "Browse" and then navigate to where you extracted the drivers in step 1. Select XBCDRC.inf and click "Open", and then "Ok"

18. You should now see 2 entries, one for "XBCD XBox Remote Control Generic" and one for "XBCD XBox Remote Control Microsoft". Select the Microsoft one and click "Next"

19. A big scary red dialog box warning you of the evils of unsigned drivers will pop up. Select "Install this driver software anyway"

20. After a short delay... you should get a notice saying that "Windows has successfully updated your driver software". Yay! Smile

21. Go back to the "USB Composite Device" Properties, Select the remaining "Unknown Device", Select "Properties", then the "Driver" Tab and then click "Disable". Go ahead and click "Yes" when prompted if you are sure

22. Install EventGhost and load it up. It might whine about not being able to find an X10 remote receiver on first start up, just ignore it. Select "File->New"

23. Then "Configuation->Add Plugin", Select "Xbox remote control" and click "Ok"

24. Enter XBCD in the prefix box if you want, the important thing here is to make sure that the "Trigger enduring events for buttons" box is CHECKED. Otherwise, EventGhost gets VERY sensitive and will register about 4 or 5 instances of each button press! Click "Ok" (Note: If you want to speed up button repetitions for things like scrolling menu's or volume changes, you can configure "Autorepeat Current Macro" options later)

25. If you start pushing buttons on the remote, you should now see events in the log that look like "XBCD.xxxxxxx" (assuming you entered XBCD as the prefix)

Congratulations! Cool

Now it's just a matter of configuring EventGhost to work with XBMC (or whatever else you want)... the most common way to get XBMC working is to use the XBMC2 (aka. XBMC Repeat) plugin that comes with EventGhost. Unfortunately, I can't help with this part... but at least your remote should now be working! :p

OPTIONAL: If you want to remove the "Test Mode" watermark from your desktop... you can go here http://deepxw.blogspot.co.nz/2008/12/rem...81210.html and get a utility for removing it. (Note: choosing the remove watermark option in DSEO takes you to the same place)
Hi there,

This drivers never worked on any vista/ windows 7 x64 Sad

I do get to step 19. A big scary red dialog box warning you of the evils of unsigned drivers will pop up. Select "Install this driver software anyway"

20. After a short delay... you should get a notice saying that "Windows has successfully updated your driver software"

I don't SadSadSadSad

Windows is saying that part of the inf is either missing or incorrect

Here is what's in the inf file

Quote:[Version]
Signature = "$Chicago$"
Class=HIDClass
ClassGUID={745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da}
Provider=%XBCDP%
DriverVer= 03/13/2009, 2.8.0

[Manufacturer]
%XBCDP%=DeviceList,NTAMD64

;Windows XP64/Vista x64
[DeviceList.NTAMD64]

;Wired Controllers
;Xbox Controllers
"XBCD XBox Remote Control Generic"=Install, USB\CLASS_58&SUBCLASS_42 ; Generic Remote Control Class/Subclass
"XBCD XBox Remote Control Microsoft"=Install, USB\Vid_045e&Pid_0284&MI_00 ; Microsoft Remote Control

; Defining XBCD Service
; ---------------------------
[Install.Services]
AddService = XBCDRC, 0x00000002, XBCDRC_Service,

[XBCDRC_Service]
DisplayName = %Service_Description%
ServiceType = %SERVICE_KERNEL_DRIVER%
StartType = %SERVICE_DEMAND_START%
ErrorControl = %SERVICE_ERROR_NORMAL%
ServiceBinary = %12%\XBCDRC.sys

; Event Logger Information
; -----------------------
[XBCD.EventLog]
AddReg = XBCD.EventLog.AddReg

[XBCD.EventLog.AddReg]
HKR,,DevLoader,,*ntkern
HKR,,NTMPDriver,,xbcdrc.sys

[Uninstall]
DelService = XBCDRC,0x00000002,XBCDRC_Service,
DelReg = XBCD.EventLog.AddReg

[Strings]

; *******Localizable Strings*******
XBCDP= "XBCD Project"
Service_Description="XBCDRC Kernel Module"
; *******Non Localizable Strings*******

SERVICE_BOOT_START = 0x0
SERVICE_SYSTEM_START = 0x1
SERVICE_AUTO_START = 0x2
SERVICE_DEMAND_START = 0x3
SERVICE_DISABLED = 0x4

SERVICE_KERNEL_DRIVER = 0x1
SERVICE_ERROR_IGNORE = 0x0
SERVICE_ERROR_NORMAL = 0x1
SERVICE_ERROR_SEVERE = 0x2
SERVICE_ERROR_CRITICAL = 0x3

REG_EXPAND_SZ = 0x00020000
REG_DWORD = 0x00010001

Anyone has a clue ?

I will try to run it under windows 7 32 bit, but i would definitly prefer have it work under win 64 Nod
Tongue 
(2012-02-24, 10:33)HardCorePawn Wrote: Firstly... Nice to see people still using "old" hardware Wink

Now, I've had this setup running on my PC (Win7 x64) before so I knew I could get it working... but I've just spent the afternoon having "some fun" getting it working again on my laptop (also Win7 x64).

Just in case it can be of use to anyone trying to get it running on Win7 x64, I'll detail what I did to get it all going:

Stuff required:

64bit drivers: http://www.acidapple.com/veube/xbcdrc_x64.zip (thanks of course goes to Veube for making these!)

After several complete re-installation & test I can tell you this :

xbcdrc_x64 will only work with vista or Windows 7 x64 HOME PREMIUM , but will not work with PRO or ULTIMATE versions

Just because the driver is signed for Windows 7 x64 HOME premium, and there is some code missing to have it work with PRO or ULTIMATE versions

I will try to find someone to fix this , if anyone can sign it or know where to have it signed please pm me Nod[/size]

It works fine with Pro... my desktop, laptop and the HTPC in the lounge are all running Win7 x64 PRO... and they all work OK...

In fact, I've recently rebuilt my desktop and hadn't got around to re-installing the xbox remote, so I've just done this now using my guide above and it is working fine.

Not sure why it didn't work for you??!? Huh

The only things I can think of are that you either didn't reboot the computer... you have to do this twice (once after enabling Test Mode, and once after signing the driver). It is a pain in the arse, but it is necessary to make this work.

or maybe you weren't running DSEO or the driver install as administrator? I have also disabled UAC... but not sure that really matters...
(2012-08-15, 02:19)HardCorePawn Wrote: It works fine with Pro... my desktop, laptop and the HTPC in the lounge are all running Win7 x64 PRO... and they all work OK...

In fact, I've recently rebuilt my desktop and hadn't got around to re-installing the xbox remote, so I've just done this now using my guide above and it is working fine.

Not sure why it didn't work for you??!? Huh

The only things I can think of are that you either didn't reboot the computer... you have to do this twice (once after enabling Test Mode, and once after signing the driver). It is a pain in the arse, but it is necessary to make this work.

Thx for your feedback. I did reboot two times, and follow strickly what was said above. I do get the watermark test mode, then the signing is correct.

I run a french version of Windows 7 x64, maybe that's why !!! O_o
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

or maybe you weren't running DSEO or the driver install as administrator? I have also disabled UAC... but not sure that really matters...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have two accounts : administrator and my name, both have the same administrator rights. I will try to install it under admin account.

What do you mean by UAC ?

Very strange... perhaps it is something to do with french windows?? Huh

UAC = User Account Control (that annoying "Are you sure you want to allow this?" dialog that pops up whenever you try to do something)
I look forward to having a go at this via Windows 7 32-bit running on Acer Revo R3610 when my female Xbox to male USB cable arrives (I tried making one; it did not go well).

The trick for me will be getting other EFCs not on the original remote to function: as the dongle responds to many RCA IR codes I had my OFA URC7960 JP1 remote using custom keymap so, for example, on the Xbox red button makes XBMC go to the Home menu anywhere except in File Manager (aka <MyFiles> in keymaps). I assume based on reading the whole thread that this will be possible so I won't have to program the remote, merely make some changes in EventGhost and/or XBMCrepeat plugin.

For reference here is the <global> part of my custom Xbox 1 template: I've found it to work pretty well. The OFA URC7960 remote uses a mix of original Xbox remote buttons and several custom EFC ones: this was for interoperability between the original Xbox DVD remote and the universal remote, plus it means the universal remote still had limited functionality on original M$ dash and UnleashX.

Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <universalremote>
      <obc107>Screenshot</obc107>                            <!-- 00089   av clear     -->
      <obc111>FullScreen</obc111>                            <!-- 00057   back         -->
      <obc112>XBMC.RunScript(E:\Misc\wol.py)</obc112>                    <!-- 00145   mce          -->
      <obc127>XBMC.ActivateWindow(Home)</obc127>                    <!-- 00185   red          -->
      <obc101>XBMC.ActivateWindow(MyVideoLibrary,tvshowtitles)</obc101>            <!-- 00233   green        -->
      <obc102>XBMC.ActivateWindow(MyVideoLibrary,movietitles)</obc102>            <!-- 00001   yellow       -->
      <obc103>XBMC.ActivateWindow(24)</obc103>                        <!-- 00249   blue         -->
      <obc108>PageUp</obc108>                                <!-- 00049   chan +       -->
      <obc109>PageDown</obc109>                                <!-- 00041   chan -       -->
      <obc113>XBMC.ActivateWindow(ShutdownMenu)</obc113>                <!-- 00137   guide        -->
      <obc114>Queue</obc114>                                <!-- 00161   (o)          -->
      <obc123>Number1</obc123>                                <!-- 00217   1            -->
      <obc118>Number2</obc118>                                <!-- 00129   2            -->
      <obc104>Number3</obc104>                                <!-- 00081   3            -->
      <obc124>Number4</obc124>                                <!-- 00177   4            -->
      <obc119>Number5</obc119>                                <!-- 00121   5            -->
      <obc105>Number6</obc105>                                <!-- 00073   6            -->
      <obc125>Number7</obc125>                                <!-- 00169   7            -->
      <obc120>Number8</obc120>                                <!-- 00209   8            -->
      <obc106>Number9</obc106>                                <!-- 00097   9            -->
      <obc100>Number0</obc100>                                <!-- 00241   0            -->
      <obc129>XBMC.AlarmClock(shutdowntimer,XBMC.Shutdown(),90)</obc129>        <!-- 00006   -/-- tv/dtv  -->
      <obc115>Playlist</obc115>                                <!-- 00153   list         -->
      <obc116>VolumeUp</obc116>                                <!-- 00113   volume +     -->
      <obc117>VolumeDown</obc117>                            <!-- 00105   volume -     -->
      <obc121>Mute</obc121>                                <!-- 00201   mute         -->
      <obc122>AudioDelayMinus</obc122>                            <!-- 00225   ???          -->
    </universalremote>

It does get confusing because the three-digit <obc> parts XBMC uses are different from the five digit EFCs on the right. And now I take it I need to know how the <obc> and EFC parts translate into hex for use in EventGhost/XBMCrepeat I suppose.

I tell ya, I love media centre projects but they are such a pain in the rear! Big Grin
Thx for your feedback, I will try once again under W7 x64 pro

And just because your guide is very precise and useful, I will update it with screenshots taken with snagit 10, hopefully it will done by next week

Here is a preview :

Run DSEO You will get this :

Press next

Then press yes

Select "Enable Test Mode" and then click "Next". You'll get a dialog confirming test mode has been enabled and telling you to reboot.

Okay I got it working - repeat rate on directional keys is a little low but I notice the values can be modified. Few buttons give this error:

Code:
Skip +
      XBMC2.RemoteSkip +()
         Error in Action: "XBMC2.RemoteSkip +()"
         Traceback (most recent call last) (1572):
           File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
         NameError: name 'XBMC2' is not defined

My custom buttons in the RCA IR dongle range are detected but EventGhost doesn't know what to do with them, for example this one:

Code:
<obc108>PageUp</obc108>                                <!-- 00049   chan +       -->

Produces this error:

Code:
Unknown code received: 006930a

My question is, which files need editing in order to make this codes forward events onto XBMC correctly? At the moment I have the XBMC.xml file from the EventGhost folder and remote.xml from XBMC's keymap folder open.
Okay I think I've figured this out.
  • I started by adding a Page Up command, as noted.
  • The EFC I am using for this on the remote is 00049, which produces 006930a in EventGhost.
  • I added 006930a to the C:\Program Files\EventGhost\plugins\XBCDRC\__init__.py file under the " self.xbcdrc_mapping = {" part as:
    Code:
    '006930a': 'PGUP'
  • Then within the XBMC.xml I have added:
    Code:
    <Macro Name="PageUp">
                        <Event Name="XBCDRC.PGUP" />
                        <Action>
                            XBMC2.Remotepageplus()
                        </Action>
                    </Macro>
  • After saving the modified XBMC.xml and __init__.py then quitting and reloading EventGhost, Page Up now works as it should.

It was tricky working out how to edit the XML and PY files at first, but now it's done I see that XBMC can be made to respond to any function. And I have to say, that is fantastic!
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO setup the original Xbox DVD remote the correct way with EventGhost3