Update audio settings via guisettings.xml OR by command line?
Ok so here's the situation: I'm running XBMC to two different rooms - my main TV with a digital receiver and the LCD in my bedroom with some old computer speakers. I had this set up running properly so I could switch screens by hitting the Power button on my remote, and both rooms were getting their audio from a split analog connection. I just upgraded my motherboard/cpu to play 1080p and spdif. But now if I want to use digital sound (which I want for the main room) I can't get analog audio to the bedroom. I have searched everywhere for a way to do this but apparently XBMC won't do both at the same time (as far as I could find?).

I CAN change the settings in the Audio Hardware section of the Settings menu in XBMC, but I have to change the audio output from analog to digital and the default output device from iec958 to default. This plays properly in the bedroom - although as you can imagine changing these settings every time I switch to the bedroom and vice versa is a little annoying.

I thought I had solved it (although, it was a bit ugly) by creating two copies of guisettings.xml - one for digital, and one for analog sound, and then when I hit the power button on my remote to copy the proper guisettings.xml file over the guisettings.xml in ~/.xbmc. This worked, but only for a little while, but then broke - now even if I change the settings manually or overwrite the guisettings.xml file, it seems that XBMC is automatically changing the settings back when it starts.

Is there any way that I can set the audio settings from a script when I start XBMC? Or is there a way to specifically update the audio settings in guisettings.xml (and make then STAY (like i said it seems XBMC is changing them back even if i change them manually in the file))

Any ideas would be appreciated!
I'm no expert here, but might you be able to set up pulseaudio for this? I.e. might it be possible to configure .asoundrc in such a way that it outputs all sound across both digital and analog simultaneously?
while not a real answer to your question;

never edit guisettings.xml directly. if you want to force certain settings, copy those into advancedsettings.xml. that file is never written and always overrides guisettings.xml
Spiff thanks it worked perfectly.....and it's much cleaner than my approach as well - now I can just change only the audio settings instead of having to copy the whole guisettings.xml file every time I switch.
Ah, a quick search turned up this thread.

Someone suggested that the following worked for them in .asoundrc:
Code:
pcm.!default {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "copper"
}

pcm.copper {
    type copy
    slave.pcm "hw:0,0"
    slave.pcm "hw:0,1"
    slave.pcm "hw:0,0"
}

Assuming, of course, that analog is hw:0,0 and digital is hw:0,1. (in my case, for example, my digital (hdmi) output is hw:0,3.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Update audio settings via guisettings.xml OR by command line?0