• 3(current)
XBMC Live 8.10.2 Beta1
I have prepared a script that can generate a lot of debug information, hopefully I will be able to track the issue down: grab it from the SVN and run it with:

sudo ./installXBMC.py -i ./XBMCLive.iso -d ./installXBMC.log

on a regular Ubuntu, then clean the log from any personal info you don't want to be exposed, if any, use a pastebin service and attach the link.

As I have noted in the initial post, any automount daemon will interfere with the installer, so you may want to disable this functionality - does not apply to the liveCD.
l.capriotti Wrote:I have prepared a script that can generate a lot of debug information, hopefully I will be able to track the issue down: grab it from the SVN and run it with:

sudo ./installXBMC.py -i ./XBMCLive.iso -d ./installXBMC.log

on a regular Ubuntu, then clean the log from any personal info you don't want to be exposed, if any, use a pastebin service and attach the link.

As I have noted in the initial post, any automount daemon will interfere with the installer, so you may want to disable this functionality - does not apply to the liveCD.

same error

File: XBMCLive.iso is not a valid ISO image, exiting...

c_bb
pls open a terminal where these files are and type:

ls -l

and

file XBMCLive.iso

Are you using Ubuntu 8.10 ?
hi

sorry, i didn't catch the ubuntu part, ran it from the console in XBMClive install (last release).

but any way ... I decidede to have a go at burning it on another machine with yet another program Oo ... now when i get to the part where it is suppose to install the system files, i get these 4 errors (repeated several times)

this number different on every line though
|
[ 273.929292] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 234208
[ 273.929358] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 234209
[ 273.936341] end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 936832
[ 273.943422] end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 936836

and then it install the GRUB

does this say anything??

will try installing ubuntu tomorrow and run the script!! unless you know what the error is from the above? Wink

c_bb
These errors are related to a damaged CD. That may explain why the installer is failing for you.

If you use the liveCD to install XBMCLive you don't need to run the installer that way, that command is only to be used when launching the installer from a full Ubuntu.
I might have found a very agressive bug in this build (possibly in Ubuntu 8.10.2).

XBMC is something wonderful I have been using since it was still named XBMP back in the days of XBOX 1.0's Smile. Now that almost all new content is provided in HD the gool ol' XBOX isn't pulling it anymore so I decided to test the Live build a bit and buy a mediacenter pc to replace it. The results where great, you guys have really done a great job on pulling the project this far.

However, when playing a movie for some time, the laptop I was testing it on (Asus F3SV) suddenly powered off during playback. Somehow the powerplug wasn't connected and the device was running on battery without me noticing. I plugged in the laptop and tried to turn it on. But then... nothing. Black screen, non-responsive keyboard, not booting. Dead.

I blamed the laptop. There have been hardware problems before with this type of laptop, and it just got replaced by an entire new F3SV. Prepared the RMA and ran XBMC Live on my other laptop (Celsius H270).

After some days while browsing through the Videos menu, the Celsius suddenly froze. I had to perform a hard reset on the system. And now comes the shocking part. This device now has the same problem. No display, external display, no keyboard.

Other then the F3SV, if I leave the H270 on for a very long time (an hour or so) it seems to go into the normal boot procedure. After waiting even longer the USB keyboard suddenly is enabled but screen and sound for example remain broken.

Knowing this I tried to perform a blind BIOS flash on the H270 (to me it seems like my BIOS or NVRAM have been corrupted and this is a good way to reset it. The flash was succesfull (I can tell cause the system automatically reboots if it was). However the problem remains.

Luckily both devices still are under warranty and I expect no problems getting them fixed.

I hope this problem can be found and eliminated cause I would very much like to run XBMC on the new hardware I just ordered. For now however I just don't dare to install it, afraid of ruining my newbought hardware.

Any idea's what caused this or what has been corrupted/destroyed are welcome. Be very careful using this build on atleast Asus F3 series laptops and Celsius H2XX series laptops.

Update:
I have been able to get the Celsius H270 to boot the Live cd and access it remotely through an SSH session. If anybody has any ideas what I can do to analyze or resolve the problem, please let me know.
The system layer of this XBMC Live is Ubuntu 8.10.2, I expect the full Ubuntu 8.10.2 to behave the same.
It seems you have stumbled upon a (major) Ubuntu bug.
l.capriotti Wrote:The system layer of this XBMC Live is Ubuntu 8.10.2, I expect the full Ubuntu 8.10.2 to behave the same.
It seems you have stumbled upon a (major) Ubuntu bug.

Problem is, I don't know how to report this the proper way. Also, the system that I can still access remotely is my business laptop and has to be sent for RMA quite soonish. I want to preserve as much info as possible to help resolving this issue. I also made a copy of the /var/log file and the uname -a and lspci output.

So my questiona are:
- How do I report this problem properly to the Ubuntu community?
- How can I preserve the info needed to track the issue?
l.capriotti Wrote:These errors are related to a damaged CD. That may explain why the installer is failing for you.

If you use the liveCD to install XBMCLive you don't need to run the installer that way, that command is only to be used when launching the installer from a full Ubuntu.

only problem is that it is the same cd i used to install the last release with ... and that works fine .... and the cd also looks fine, no scratches and it works when i burn a lot of other things ... so I don't think it is the CD Wink ... and i'm not the only one with the problem!!

I was thinking maby there is something wrong with the ISO file?? did you build the iso from linux or windows??
I had all sorts of issues running XBMC under Ubuntu 8.10. I ended up reverting to 8.04 LTS.

Any chance that we'll see a version of XBMC Live in the future that will play nicely with other operating systems on a hard drive? Maybe include some sort of installer that knows how to install to a partition and install a boot manager?
Subtitles - Serious Business
l.capriotti Wrote:These errors are related to a damaged CD. That may explain why the installer is failing for you.

i'm tried install on VirtualBox and this works!
Maybe problem in hardware?
[quote=l.capriotti]These errors are related to a damaged CD. That may explain why the installer is failing for you.
QUOTE]

hi l.capriotti

i apoligize many times ... i took your advise and got hold off some new cd-r and burned the iso ... now it installs fine, so it was a problem with the disc Oo ... Sorry for the inconvenience Blush

now i just have a q. about wlan ... how do i set it up?? under setting -> network -> assignment it says interface disabled?

many greetings
cool_bombom
I get the same 'not a valid iso image' and when I try burning it to a CD I get the buffer I/O errors.
I've tried downloading the ISO 3 times now and I've tried 3 different CDs. What gives ??
cejstrup Wrote:I get the same 'not a valid iso image' and when I try burning it to a CD I get the buffer I/O errors.
I've tried downloading the ISO 3 times now and I've tried 3 different CDs. What gives ??

Did you try disabling AHCI in the BIOS? This helped me.
there is something fishy about this rel.

I have tried 3 different cd's, three different computers and three different usb sticks. Im not able to create a usb version no matter what.

All three cd's boot fine and runs xbmc on all computers. However if i try to create a usbstick from the menu it fails either in the formating process or during file copy.

i have tried all the usb stick with the old version and everything works fine.

So there is something totally buggy about the format, create and copy process on this latest build.

There should be some way to actually create the usbstick from windows itself to buypass all these x factors.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Live 8.10.2 Beta10