• 4(current)
XBMC Live 8.10.2 Beta1
I've also tried several CDs. Even some CDRWs that I've used a lot of times without problems. Just now I've tried installing the previous version of XBMC live from the same CD and had no problems.
Something is broken.
The-Boxhead Wrote:There should be some way to actually create the usbstick from windows itself to buypass all these x factors.
There is not, Windows lacks the needed tools for a complete build. Full stop.

The main reason I released this beta was to iron out this new script, and since I am not able to see a failure in the creation process youneed to provide more information about your cases, so that I can identify the needed fixes.

Ideally you would grab the latest installer script from the SVN, run XBMC Live from the CD in safe mode, log on and copy the latest script on the live system via scp. Then type:

Code:
sudo ./installXBMC.py -d install.log

and create an USB stick. Once finished grab the install.log, pastebin it somewhere and report the corresponding URL here.

Until I am not able to replicate the issue or have information about it I can't help.
OK thanks .I'll try this today and see how it goes.Hope we can get this solved Smile
latest SVN won´t work XBMC Live due to the change with the meaning of -p (before platform, now portable) as we default to platform now.

I am unsure when this release will hit the deb repo but if you have issues writing configurations and loosing configurations the fix below needs to be done

http://trac.xbmc.org/changeset/18398

The runXBMC.sh needs to be updated before updating XBMC to latest in this release. An updated version can be found here

So if you are doing sudo apt-get upgrade know this might happen Smile

Cheers,
Tobias
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Here's the install log output:

http://pastebin.com/m3c310c2e

and here's the output from the GUI:

http://pastebin.com/d5a3a1f8f
tks a lot, much appreciated. I will give it a look ASAP.
How will this solve the usb stick creation problem ?
As i said i can boot the new cd just fine and xbmc works from the cd.
What doesent work is to create usb stick.

If i boot the xbmc and download the new install script this is lost as soon
as i reboot the computer.
In that case what the command to initiate the usb creation process ?
Basically you need to boot the live cd, copy the updated script on the live system and launch the new script that will create a bootable usb disk. After that you don't need the CD any more.
Okay downloaded the latest install.XBMC script but still same errors
I also tried to install to Hardrive but the same happens. Basically just 100'eds
of messages about io errors and buffer errors. The format and partition process seems however to work just fine both on my usb stick and harddrives.

I tried using the script with the -d install.log but i just get unknown command so sorry that i cant give you the log.

I tested on my mobile workstation HP laptop centrino base, my stationary AMD athlon and my server P4 system. They all fail the same way.

To me it smells like a bad CD since it's the copy from process that fails, but if it really was that many crc errors on the cd it's strange that the same CD loads xbmc just fine without any errors. Also the rar file extracts just fine. And i have tried now 5 cd burns and 5 re downloads.

Maybe u next time should also supply a md5 checksum file with the upload. that way i would know for shure that it's not my cd Smile

I love your work since the first ones you realesed and it has come a long way since then.

I just hope we together can solve these issues. I gladly help you debugging this but i am no linux guru but i know xbmc and computers system alot and im a IT engineer.

First of all i should get that log file but the command you told us to use doesent work or im doing something wrong.
Hi,I did some debugging with Luigi today and managed to get a USB key made from within an existing ubuntu installation.
I can send you the install script if you like. Luigi will probably come with an updated version soon as well :-)
that would be cool. drop it at kurtkork"at"gmail"dot"com
So is this okay to use? The note from the dev and people having problems leads me to think otherwise. Should I wait for another release?

Also, I was using Live installed to an HD since Atlantis came out, will I be able to upgrade to this easily?
kimp93 Wrote:In Intrepid, as a root, I did followings;

1. extract rootfs.img with iso master.
2. mount -o loop ./rootfs.img /media/mount
3. cp -Rp * ~/disk/ in /media/mount/
4. mksquashfs ./ ~/image/rootfs.img -noappend in ~/disk/
5. put rootfs.img in iso with iso master.

This time, for test, I didn't touch a single file. just extract rootfs.img and remake it.
It is still not boot.

I tried to follow the guide on wiki to build from scratch. It is kind of beyond my head. I barely install moblin image creator which does not run even after some dependency installation.

I finally figured out.
In case anyone want to update live cd itself, all step OK except the 5.
When you make a grub bootable cd, you want to use mkisofs.

sudo mkisofs -R -b boot/grub/stage2_eltorito -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -d -allow-leading-dots -c boot/boot.catalog -l -D -U -boot-info-table -o XBMCLivenew.iso iso
ok, a few answer all together:

The-Boxhead Wrote:Maybe u next time should also supply a md5 checksum file with the upload. that way i would know for shure that it's not my cd Smile
the ZIP file for distribution was chosen since it provides CRC protection and verification. If the zipfile extracts with no errors you have a correct ISO file.

The-Boxhead Wrote:that would be cool. drop it at kurtkork"at"gmail"dot"com
no need, grab it from the SVN

grassmunk Wrote:Also, I was using Live installed to an HD since Atlantis came out, will I be able to upgrade to this easily?
Upgrading an HD installation *should be* just a matter of booting from the new liveCD/USB, copy all *.img files to the HD boot partition and recreate the permanent storage file (plus re-applying all your customisations).

kimp93 Wrote:I finally figured out.
sudo mkisofs -R -b boot/grub/stage2_eltorito -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -d -allow-leading-dots -c boot/boot.catalog -l -D -U -boot-info-table -o XBMCLivenew.iso iso
that is to say something similar to what I'm using, as you can see from the SVN file

A new release is not so far, however I do encourage all of you to grab the latest installer from the SVN and try an installation from a standard Linux desktop.
Just a question. You said it was impossible to be able to create boot usb stick
directly from windows without the need of a Boot cd first.

what about:
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

It support Ubuntu 8.10 - but i gonna look some more into it.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Live 8.10.2 Beta10