• 3(current)
[MOVED] Problems starting XBMC fullscreen
for all of us talking about the weirdness that we experience with auto setting on resolution on 8X00 motherboards, we're starting to confuse people coming to this thread looking for info about VDPAU. I'll try and right a summary post to start a new thread when I have some time later if someone else doesn't do it first. Our threadjack has got to stop because it's having a negative impact on peoples perception of how well VDPAU can play 1080P material.
rodercot Wrote:That is not uncommon on new TV's. If you follow this link and do what it says to do you will come up with all the modes and refesh rates that your tv model will support. I find I have had to do this with all my Tv's as the native resolution option is nice but not always the answer and it defaults to nvidia auto-select for modes.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1003099&page=2

Regards,

Dave

I am not sure, but I think the solution in this thread may accomplish the same thing with slightly less pain:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=242273

xnappo
Beagleux Wrote:Almoust everything I've tested so far runs good (including killa sample) except some framedrops in when the video starts.

I'm having the frequence to 24Hz otherwise i get "jitter". I also sometimes get audio out of sync. But this happens to xvids aswell.

I havn't updated in a few days now, so don't know if these issues still exists with the latest svn.

Great! Thanks.
Only problem is I can't find that or any other compatible PCI card in norway. Guess i'll just have to import one.
Using Kodi for live TV with Tvheadend.
mr.b Wrote:for all of us talking about the weirdness that we experience with auto setting on resolution on 8X00 motherboards, we're starting to confuse people coming to this thread looking for info about VDPAU. I'll try and right a summary post to start a new thread when I have some time later if someone else doesn't do it first. Our threadjack has got to stop because it's having a negative impact on peoples perception of how well VDPAU can play 1080P material.

I'd appreciate that. I'm following the VDPAU-thread since a while now - and it's amazing what progress has been made. Thanks again to all the people spending their time for xbmc! I'm really considering now to upgrade from my xbox-based htpc set. Some summarized infos would therefore be really helpful. Smile
xnappo Wrote:I am not sure, but I think the solution in this thread may accomplish the same thing with slightly less pain:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=242273

xnappo

I played with this briefly, but it didn't help so far.

Allan - you are definitely right about the mode being set wrong.

Check this out:

- In the non-working case, go to the shutdown menu then over to info and take a look - you will see that the resolution is set to 1920x1080 60hz, BUT the real frequency is fluctuating around 38hz.

- In the working case, take a look and you will see the frequency is locked correctly at 60hz.

Please confirm you see the same thing(all).

xnappo
Interesting... Yea, I see the same thing. But im not sure what this means really.... This could simply be because of ____ problem it cant keep up with 60hz (it cant maintain the framerate either, hence all the dropped frames). But I'm not really sure. I cant try right now, but what if you did something like knock the CPU down to 1ghz (we know this causes problems) and run it where it would normally work and see if it stays locked at 60hz or not.
AllanMar Wrote:Interesting... Yea, I see the same thing. But im not sure what this means really.... This could simply be because of ____ problem it cant keep up with 60hz (it cant maintain the framerate either, hence all the dropped frames). But I'm not really sure. I cant try right now, but what if you did something like knock the CPU down to 1ghz (we know this causes problems) and run it where it would normally work and see if it stays locked at 60hz or not.

Interesting idea. I am also going to try using a modeline instead of using EDID when I get a chance.

xnappo
Yea, ive been meaning to do that too. The one issue with moving this to a separate thread, is i was hoping some of the people with similar hardware that have it working (such as motd2k) could describe their setups. Could this be a distro issue?
I don't think it is a distro issue since i'm experiencing the same behaviour on Arch Linux x86_64, though i did not test this as fully as you guys. I'm running on ASUS M3N78-EM w/GeForce 8300 and a AMD X2 4850e CPU running at least @1800 Mhz due to bandwidth limitation if i go lower. Memory is 2 x 2GB DDR2-800 running in DualChannel mode. However i did see a direct link of core speed and reached fps in xbmc but this might be another issue.
I am actually glad so many people have the problem. I am also glad there is a way to work around it.

I think with a little experimentation and cooperation we will get this licked - but it would be nice to have someone with more experience reading the thread...

xnappo
Haggy Wrote:I don't think it is a distro issue since i'm experiencing the same behaviour on Arch Linux x86_64, though i did not test this as fully as you guys. I'm running on ASUS M3N78-EM w/GeForce 8300 and a AMD X2 4850e CPU running at least @1800 Mhz due to bandwidth limitation if i go lower. Memory is 2 x 2GB DDR2-800 running in DualChannel mode. However i did see a direct link of core speed and reached fps in xbmc but this might be another issue.
I have the EXACT same hardware on ubuntu 8.10, Im running at 2.5ghz though. It is somehow related to CPU, because when i overclock to 2.9ghz its plays moderatly well (not perfect like it does when not opened full screen, but ok)

@xnappo: And I agree, I was glad so many people had it. The part that is discouraging is not everybody with similar setups is having this problem.
AllanMar Wrote:@xnappo: And I agree, I was glad so many people had it. The part that is discouraging is not everybody with similar setups is having this problem.

I think most 8X00 users are though - it would be really nice to know if motd2k or others NOT having the issue are running with EDID on a TV...

xnappo
To clear it up: i do not have modelines in my xorg.conf. nvidia driver is also complaining about incompatible edid mode information coming from the tv (also Sony Bravia, 40E4000 if that matters). Seems like it gets intialized @24Hz although the tv set does not recognize it as 1080/24p as it does eg. on bluray.
What would be great is if I could figure out how to make my TV (Sony Bravia 52V4100) show me whats the input actually is, IE refresh rate. Anyone know of anything? Figured out how to get into the service menu, but not how to actually use it.
Well i did not exactly find out what refresh rate my TV is using, but i do see two different OSD hints. One is 1080p for anything 1920x1080 at any refresh rate EXCEPT 'real' 24Hz for which the TV responds with "1080/24p". I can force this mode by setting it in nvidia-settings or using '1920x1080@24Hz' in XBMC.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MOVED] Problems starting XBMC fullscreen0