wanted: lean install, fast boot, working suspend
I think alot of us are in the same boat -- we want:

1. Lean install
  2. Fast boot time
  3. Working suspend/resume
  4. No weird intrepid thread issues

I think there's probably some people with builds they are happy with that meet the criteria -- I thought I'd open a thread to discuss.
mr.b Wrote:I think alot of us are in the same boat -- we want:

1. Lean install
  2. Fast boot time
  3. Working suspend/resume
  4. No weird intrepid thread issues

Hmm, Windows XP?

Don't understand me wrong - I'm a Linux Fan myself and I'm using XBMC on Linux. BUT - the advantage of Linux is that you have a lot of flexibility. Flexibility has a price and that is complexity.

Building a new distribution which concentrates on the core features of XBMC is a lot of work. Especially maintaining it afterwards (security updates,...).

Temar
Temar Wrote:Hmm, Windows XP?

Don't understand me wrong - I'm a Linux Fan myself and I'm using XBMC on Linux. BUT - the advantage of Linux is that you have a lot of flexibility. Flexibility has a price and that is complexity.

Building a new distribution which concentrates on the core features of XBMC is a lot of work. Especially maintaining it afterwards (security updates,...).

Temar

Point taken, but I want my VDPAU
Personally I'm running XBMC on Jaunty, the only issues I've had are due to my onboard USB sound card...
seriously they took a USB sound controller and soldered it on to a motherboard... idiots. >.<

Suspend works, boots quickly enough (i have other services running that you won't need) and I'm running XBMC
on the LXDE desktop environment which is light but still functional when I need to work outside of XBMC.
Check out the How-To install XBMC for linux. The install is very minimal and looks like a decent option. Im in the process of starting over and using that how-to

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO:_Inst...ep-by-step

Cheers!
I believe the wiki entry is derived from olympia's post. I believe the problem here is that you only get working suspend with intrepid, and intrepid introduces the threading issue with FFMPEG. Granted, it doesn't matter so much with VDPAU, but I still like the idea of a build with no known issues. Thanks to everyone who's contributed to the discussion so far.
According to this entry, the solution may be to simply use the guide, choosing to install minimal hardy install, then upgrade the kernel:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=270196&postcount=6
mr.b Wrote:According to this entry, the solution may be to simply use the guide, choosing to install minimal hardy install, then upgrade the kernel:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=270196&postcount=6

I have that exact setup and have the suspend issue. Any advice on which kernel to try?

xnappo
Thumbs Down 
sgchargers Wrote:Well upon this issue, I do not think there will be anyone who disagree with what you said in the above. I do gain a lot from what you say. car charger

Some please KILL the SPAMbot!!!!!!
I'm interested in this as well.

I've been using XBMC on my xbox for years and am about to try a very lean install for my htpc using Arch linux as the base instead of Ubuntu.

I'll let you guys know if I have the hibernate issue that you're having with Intrepid based installs.
ctarwater: take a look at the PKGBUILD mentioned in my signature. Will save you much hassle on Arch.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Thanks, I'll check that out.

One thing though, I use an ATI video card - will that still work with the vdpau branch?
One word: nope :-)
But have a look at the comments in xbmc-svn. I posted a PKGBUILD a while ago which does not rely on vdpau.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Thanks, that's what I thought.

It's just an old p4 dell I'm turning into a basic htpc to play (non-hd media from a hard drive) on my tv. I'm just using it to replace my xbox1 w/xbmc.

Ok, enough with hijacking this thread, sorry guys.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
wanted: lean install, fast boot, working suspend1